Marshall Jubilee or JCM 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rick, May 1, 2005.

1. Rick

Rick Member

Hi all,
    Just joined the fun here. Have a question about amps. I'm not the greatest player since I started at age 43 I'm now 48.I'm part collector as well and wanted to toss this out for some various thoughts.

I'd like to get a tube amp,(I currently have a Fender Power Chorus) and I'm not sure which amp is a better choice(Looking for that 70's/80's sound) the Marshall Jubilee or the JCM 800. On the latter I'm guessing the 2204 model is the better one to get??. I know the Jubilee is a tougher amp to find and I'd prefer a combo, Or maybe a even a Fender Tube amp would suit me. I don't know. $$ is not that much of an issue, not gonna go crazy,but find something within reason for the age and rarity of the amp.

I'll try and find more info from other sites and other posts on this forum as well.

I guess I'm looking for random impressions/thoughts from anyone that has a preference for any of the amps I mentioned.
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I like them both, but agree the Jubilee is much harder to find. Particularly in a combo. I prefer the Jubilee tone. A bit rounder and sweeter to my ear. But you can't go wrong either way.

Welcome to the forum!

3. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

First of all, congrats for taking up the instrument at 43 :dude

You can't go wrong with either amp. The Jubilee will be a little more versatile as it has more gain on tap. Since you don't really know what you want I'd suggest you get a JCM 800. You can pick them up used much cheaper than a Jubilee. They are an easy sell if you don't like it. One thing you will find with this hobby is that if you spend some time hunting you can find bargains on both amps and guitars. You might even be able to make a few dollars if you resell them. It is a cheap way to be able to own and try out a lot of different gear.

4. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

I'd opt for the jubillee, one of the best amps ever made in my opinion. I've got 2 and they're keepers. They're also one of the more consistent marshalls, pretty much every silver jubillee I've played sounds basically the same, I can't say that for JCM 800's.

It's a sought after and somewhat rare amp also, the resale on them is terrific, and I bet it will continue to increase. My guess is that you won't want to sell it though.

5. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

The Silver Jubilee IMO is the best sounding of all the "modern"
    Marshall amps. No need for mods to get that baby to sing or
    scream, and if you are a part time collector this is without a
    doubt the one for you to get. They are getting harder to come
    by and will most certainly start increasing in value over the years.

6. Mark C

Mark C Member

Are you planning to gig with these or are you planning on playing them in the house? I ask this question mainly because if this is to be your first tube amp, you may be in for a surprise. Marshalls are REALLY loud! The tones you hear on records with them are all at high volumes, they don't sound like that at lower volumes. You should definately try out lots of different amps before you buy anything if you haven't already. Good luck with your search.

7. Rick

Rick Member

Yes I'm aware of the volume level and occasionally I do play out of the house (just over at the drummer friends garage). Actually I bought the Fender Power Chorus I currently have so I could hear myself over the drummer,the previous amp I had, a Marshall Valvestate 40watt wasn't cutting it.
    Thanks for all the replies,I'm going to search out a Jubilee combo 2x12, it may take me a long time to actually find one but I think thats the way I'm heading, although I may take a long look at a JCM 800 combo should I run across one.

Rick

8. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

ive owned quite a lot of marshalls and have liked em but never been ultimatly sattisfied until i bough a slash jubilee head and i cant not fault it and havnt faulted it or moaned once about its tone.
    best amp theyve ever made for my style and suit.

9. Rick

Rick Member

Just a follow up on my search for one of these Jubilee amps, found one, a 2x12 combo on a web site classified , could pick it up cheap but the guy says this about it....

" it will not change from clean to lead. Everything else works fine. I checked the tubes and they look good and the switch sounds and feels like it is working but it will not switch..."

Not knowing anything about the technical aspect of this problem, but is this an easy fix for an amp tech? and how much could it possibly cost to fix this problem?

Rick

10. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

Rick, Not sure about the fix for that, my guess is that's probably something simple for a good tech.

Here's my 2 cents though, I'd pass of the combo. One of the big components to the marshall sound is how the head interacts with a closed back cabinet, combo's just sound different. You won't get the same chunky bottom end from a combo, though it's still pretty good. They're less versatile, as with a head you can use whichever size cab is appropriate for your purposes.

Also, if you don't dig the amp. It's far easier to sell the head version, especially shipping. Shipping a combo is a drag just because of how big they are.

11. philippe

philippe Member

I have a 1989 Marshall Silver Jubillee 25/50 watt head and a straight and a slanted cab. Both contain 2 12" celestion greenbacks.
    I'm trying to unload it to get a new amp. I'm a new member so I can't post in the buy/sell threads.

I'm new at this forum. I hope this plug isn't against the rules. If it is please send me a PM so I can take this down.

12. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Well....the thread is 6 mos old, and yeah please don't spam the board in such a manner.

13. jcmusic

jcmusic Member

I've got both. Can't go wrong with either but here are some things to keep in mind.

The Jubilees are the most collectible an have SHOT UP in value. They sell for 2X as much as an 800 on ebay. If I kept only 1, it would be my Slash-Jubilee head. Sounds GREAT and, I guess like you, I don't care about the $$ aspect, but $ for $, the 800 is a far better value. The Jub has a wider tonal range as well and it's cleaner sounds are great too.
    Not all Jubs are the same. The most valuable are the 2555 and 2550 (100 and 50 watt). The 2253, 2258 are not as valuable. I have the 2555SL, prob not as valuable as a 2555 (I've seen a much wider range of sale prices on ebay for the Slash sig head), but pretty close.

Just watch fleabay and you'll get an idea. If you can get a Jub for 1500 or less go for it, last summer they went for 1800-2000 (prices have softened a bit & there's a nice one listed now plus a Slash halfstack). You could alternately pick up an 800 for about .... $850-$900. Oh, yeah, get a head so you can sort out the best cab for you.

P.S. Of the 800's - only buy a 2203 or 2204. They made some other models that have crappy resale (2210,2205, etc).

14. lane1024

lane1024 Member

I would be curious to know what you guys think of the type of Marshall Slash model for sale on evilBay 120061610430. I too am more of a collector than a professional musician. From a collector standpoint this type of amp looks perfect. It’s hard to imagine it would lose a whole lot of value over time.

I happened come across this thread, looked up the amp, and made a bid, all inside of ten minutes, at the moment I am high bidder, I doubt this will last, but you never know. The funky snakeskin thang really clinched it for me.

For perspective I’ve had a modded 77’s JMP for many years. As a new collector I recently purchased 100W Diezel Einstein and a Splawn Quickrod (still in the mail). This Slash model would be a nice addition. What do you think of this type of amp?

15. jcmusic

jcmusic Member

In a music store, they'd sell this used for around $3k. I'd say a fair price on ebay is $2K. $1700-1800 is a very good deal - I'd certainly bid this much if I was just fishing for a deal. Just to give you an idea, the head alone could sell for $1500-1600 BIN easily last summer. They sound great w/ the V30's. Not as bright as a JMP or JCM. They can get that "freight train" in you face sound just like Slash has on "The Spagetti Incident" (check out "New Rose" or "Attitude") quite easily w/ a Les Paul.

Be advised the tolex is not a snakeskin pattern, but rather each piece comes with a vinyl cover (looks like snakeskin). HTH

16. lane1024

lane1024 Member

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I saw the snakeskin covers,they have pretty good pictures posted. Still looks pretty cool, timelessly so. They also have the manual and stuff. Looks pretty clean.

I am unfortunetly going to be in Jamaica when the auction ends, not sure if I'll have internet access there, so if I'm serious I have to put in my high bid by tomorrow evening. humm?

17. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

All I can say is I have heard someone say they didn't like the Jubilee on one day and on another say it was the best amp they heard on another. Very quirky indeed.

I don't think it is the best amp you'll ever hear but if you like hot rodded Marshall tones it does cover a lot of lead tone ground. Cleans are not as good but what is nice about them is lead tones really sing with single coils and smoke with a humbucking Les Paul. Perhaps the enigma is you must fiddle with them more then let's say a JMP NMV or JCM800 2204. Personally I say get both as well. I recall a 1985 "Original Classic" series green tolex 2204s smallbox a buddy of mine bought brand new back then and it was very fat and ballsy in it's own right. Different enought that I like them both for what they are. I am still looking at getting a 2204 because I remember how good that tone was for my tastes. If your from the Marshall PTP old school balls out everything on 10 then the Jube is probably not what your looking for. It is a bit more sophisticated and recording friendly. Fizzy..possibly, sweet and organic enough yes. Good enough for classic rock tones and then some.

18. gulliver

gulliver Member

You can always think outside the box. I went in between the two, and got a Voodoo modded 2205. Two channels, reverb, and great tone.

19. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I think both are great. But the Marshall 2204 Head is a more classic rock amp. Fat crunch for days. You can always put a dirt pedal in front if it - if doesn't have enough gain for you.

Enjoy!

20. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

While I agree the Jubilee is a very nice amp, I prefer the JCM800. It just sounds more agressive to my ears. I guess it's what your seeking in tone.

The gentleman that mentioned the Voodoo mod might be on to something there. You might wanna check with Bray, Cameron and Splawn also.

Good luck,

IPH