Marshall JVM owners - you still like it or did you move on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lution, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Lution

Lution Member

I'm still looking for a decent grab and go combo and these new 2-channel 50 watt JVMs look interesting, particularly the 1x12 combo.

I know Carly got a JVM and velcrofly had one too along with a number of guys here on TGP. Do you guys still have them or did you move on? If you did move on, what was the reason?

Something Marshall isn't clear on is which Celestion speaker comes in the 50watt JVM 1x12 combo. Does anyone know?

Can you program the footswitch to go through the 3 modes on each channel and will have a memory?

To anyone who hasn't been following, I'm looking for a grab and go high gain tube combo with a darker character with at least 2 channels that can go from a fenderish clean all the way up to modern metal... that I can take to rehearsals and small gigs when I don't feel like lugging my XTC 101B out of the house. I've tried the Budda SD II 18 combo and found it very nice, but not enough clean headroom or enough gain. So I had to pass on it.

Thanks

2. haslar

haslar Member

Still have my JVM205H, and am planning to keep it for a loooog time.
    :)
    That thing is just a great, no-nonsense, versatile amp.

The footswitch is worth the price of admission alone. You can program it in any way you want. Each button can be set to control any or all of the following:
    - Channel selection
    - Colour selection
    - Effect Loop on/off
    - Master I or II
    - Reverb on/off
    And it does have "memory" indeed.

The 410 is more versatile than the 205, as the green clean channel sounds very fendery (as opposed to the 205H's which is a more distinctly Marshally clean). Also, it can do modern metal better than the 205H.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I still like mine, no plans to let it go, but I do have plenty of other gear for when I get bored.

4. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306 Member

I like VHT - and Bogner and am in no way for/against Marshall (which I'm not keen on) or Messa (also generally not keen on), BUT id have thought the Messa Express 5:25 1x12 combo would be PERFECT for what your lookng for.

Far superior in build compared to the marshall too.

5. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

If you want clean head room and lots of gain I'd go with a Mesa Mark IV. I have one and it's going to sound great with that Bogner 2x12 as well.

6. haslar

haslar Member

Can you please explain in what way the Marshall JVM is "inferior" in build compared to a Mesa?

7. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Ive read a fair amount of stories where buyer got new JVM, switched on new JVM and it was either dead in the box or gave up the ghost in no time at all.

I wouldnt buy any Marshall made after the JCM800 nor would I buy any Mesa . If I were you Id keep my eye open for a nice early JCM800 2x12 50 watt combo, all you need is a nice overdrive pedal and you are set.

Bryan

8. haslar

haslar Member

Mmmmh. I've only got first-hand experience with this amp; but it does seem sturdy and well-built. I used to play a Mesa Nomad 45, and I fail to see in what way the JVM would be inferior to that amp, build-wise.

But obviously I don't know the breakdown stats.

9. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

+1000

10. digital jams

digital jams Member

My JVM is a year old and has seen between 40-50 jams at loud levels without any issues whatsoever, 3 hours at a clip.

Programmable footswitch
    2 masters
    Great reverb
    Very good cleans for a switcher
    goes from clean to hot rodded Marshall with the fiddle volume.

It may not be the grail of marshall but for gigging out and needing a flexible platform it is a great amp that can be found used for a very good price.

11. Lution

Lution Member

In several of my inquiries the Mark IV always seems to come up. I've heard incredible sound clips of the Mark IV's Lead Channel, but I haven't heard many clean clips. I'll have to search some more.

12. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

Ive had my JVM for almost a year, and I like it more than ever.
    zero problems or complaints. it defies marshallness in its versatility.

13. RockDC

RockDC Member

I play festivals quite a bit. One of the festivals had the JVM for backline. It made it through three songs and then quit working... no sound. After the show as a favor to the festivals sage manager I called some guitar shops in the area to see if they had another JVM to rent or borrow. 3 of the 5 had had multiple JVM returns for the same issue. 6 months latter I was in the area and spoke with one of the shop people and they said it was a part on the earliest JVM's that was faulty... so if you get one, I'd recommend a newer one.

P.s. These were all 100 watt heads.

14. digital jams

digital jams Member

Friends had 10 brand new ones that were bought in bulk, zero faulty amps and were some of the first on the east coast.

I guess we all have our own stories of fame or disgrace concerning amps.

15. superunknown

superunknown Member

The JVM kicks ass.....I love this amp!

16. RockDC

RockDC Member

True that... this was in the midwest. You never know what those corn farmers do to stuff.:horse

With all the moonshine they drink.:drink

All I know is every time I plug into a JVM I like it... not as much as the older Marshall's but definitely still like it.

17. Ben Jam'n

Ben Jam'n Member

I've been gigging with the head version since January...probably 20 shows? No problems so far....

I've tried to move on but I keep coming back to it.....