Marshall JVM...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Matteo11, Jun 15, 2019.

How do you rate the Marshall JVM Series?

1. 5 Stars (Fantastic amp one of the best Marshall has put out since the 80's)

26 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. 4 Stars (Great amp but there is better around that price point used)

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. 3 Stars (Good amp not sure I would own one)

17 vote(s)
    27.4%
  4. 2 Stars (Definitely pass. Not a good amp at all)

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. 1 Star (I only play acoustic and I am in the wrong sub forum...Anyone seen my James Taylor CD?)

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Been thinking about trying one of these for awhile now. Curious to get some feedback.

Seen this fairly recent video demo from Brett Kingman and it sounds great and pretty much covers a ton of ground with really great cleans, plexi/800 crunch and hotrodded plexi/800 and then crazy way over the top gain.

It doesn't seem fizzy or over compressed like some newer Marshalls tend to be to my ears. Seems open & punchy with just that classic Marshall tone. Can find these too for pretty good prices used (not sure if that's good or bad but for such a mass produced amp prob not a red flag imo)

I'm just playing at home at the moment but have a Fryette PS2 that I can use if the MV is not that great.

So what's the scoop?

What's better the 410h or the 205h? (I remember hearing they left off the best channel on the 205h but not sure which one is considered best)

2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

Owned one. Good amp but I’m not at all sad I sold it. I’ll take my TC-100 and Super Kraken over it all day, every day. But that’s just me.

Jabby92 and Matteo11 like this.
  3. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

It’s a fantastic modern Marshall. The OD1 on the 410 is not on the 210/205 but you can mod the OD channel of the 2 channel amps to be more in line with the voicing of OD1 on the 410. For what you can find them used for though just get the 410. Very versatile and a lot of options.

Tripower455 and Matteo11 like this.
  4. Coopster

Coopster Member

Had the 210H. Yes, you can run an EQ through the loop and approximate the lost channel. It's a good amp. My opinion is at lower volume it's compressed and a bit fizzy, it needs volume to open it up and then it sounds like angels singing. Just FYI, there's a known cold solder issue with them that can cause a random sudden volume drop. Mine did it infrequently and needed to be shut down and restarted to clear it up. I've been through several Marshall's, ended up with a Mesa Royal Atlantic and couldn't be happier. It does everything I want, no issues. No after market fixes or mods to get it there.

Matteo11 likes this.
  5. esizer

esizer Member

The Satch model is the best one, IMO. The JVMs are decent amps...but they tend to be noisy and they don't have the same Marshall "feel".
    There is a mod to change the NFB so they aren't as stiff but I ended up just selling mine instead of modding it.

WiresDream, In Absentia and Matteo11 like this.
  6. Shadowfax2112

Shadowfax2112 Member

I had a JVM 410H and I certainly liked it but it was too much amp for me. I don't get the occasion to really crank it. I also found the foot switch awkward with the 3 modes /channel and the OD2 channel was not very useable. I ended up trading it in but sometimes miss it (just not during load ins/outs). To be honest I didn't really know how to get the best out of a Marshall at the time so I may have liked it more if I kept it. My main amps are a Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini Head and 2x12 which I really like and a Blackstar Series One combo which has some nicer cleans than the Marshall and the Dynamic Power is pretty cool too, can drop it down to 5 Watts if necessary. Cheers

jlinde and Matteo11 like this.
  7. Matteo11

I’ve heard the Satch model is better but not clear what the difference are between the two.

You may have helped kill some of the curiosity I’ve had about the JVM since I generally like a looser feel.

8. Matteo11

I’ve heard the Royal Atlantic is a killer amp but never came across one out in the wild to plug into to try out.

How cranked does it have to be to open up? I play pretty loud at home (everyone on my street is aware I play guitar ) I do have the PS2 as well and can use it if needed. If it’s as loud as my 1984 jcm 800 4104 I may pass. That 800 at 50 watts I swear is somehow twice as loud as my 20th Anniversary 90w Shiva.

9. lharless

lharless Member

I play a 205h into a 1936 and it’s a fantastic amp. I use it low gain, and it does everything you need for a Marshall amp to do, and then some. Sometimes these threads get silly about what is a good amp and what is not. The JVM is one of the best Marshall amps ever made. I’ve had a bunch of Marshalls over the years. This one does a great JCM, and a pretty convincing old school plexi thing. There is gorgeous clean tone. There is limitless opportunity for tone shaping. The reverb sounds good in a live situation. If you need to “modify” the sound of the amp, place an EQ in one of the loops. Also, using a subtle EQ into the front end works wonders to boost or cut any frequency for tone shaping. The emulated line out is absolutely usable, both live and for recording. Use a pad with your cable or on the board and you’re good to go.

I’m a huge fan of the Dr Z Carmen Ghia (I have one), and I’ve even able to use the 205h clean channel, boosted with an MXR six band EQ, to get those sounds out of the JVM. I can recall sounds from just about any era Marshall by using the amp and and a simple EQ. The sounds that are obtainable by not using an EQ are outstanding. The amp sounds good at almost any reasonable setting. I am never left wanting.

It is a good solid Marshall with a history of rock solid reliability. You don’t hear much about them because the people that are using them are busy making music and not troubleshooting problems online.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    BigBadOrange and Matteo11 like this.
  10. lessthan12

lessthan12 Supporting Member

Quick side track, I was looking into the Super Kraken before I got my Friedman Small Box. I was super interested in the Victory but got scared away when I read a bunch of people saying the MV was atrocious. Unfortunately couldn't play one in person so I went Friedman because of how amazing the MV is. Whats your opinion on the Krakens MV? I can play the Small Box anytime from morning until midnight in an apartment and still get crazy good tone and feel even at mouse fart volumes when need be.

11. Matteo11

Good info thanks...but did you mean to say “It is a good solid Marshall with a history of reliability” ?

I have the MXR 10 band EQ and I generally run it in the loop of all my amps to tone shape a bit. I like the Carmen Ghia can you reveal what freq you are boosting cutting for that sound?

12. CoreyW

CoreyW Member

I sold my 205H in order to fund a Mesa TC-50, and don’t have any regrets.

My experience with the head, it was extremely versatile, but didn’t really excell at anything. I actually preferred my JCM2000.

With all that said, I only had the head for 3-4 months and am willing to admit that I probably didn’t give it a fair shake, I found out about the TC-50 soon after I got the 205H, and was completely GASed for one.

Matteo11 likes this.
  13. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

It's probably a great amp. But I haven't played one yet. But if I were amp hunting the JVM 205H would be the first one I'd check out.

Matteo11 likes this.
  14. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

I had a 205C for a while.

My favorite setting was the Clean / Crunch channel on red and with a bit of a kick in the front end with a Blues Driver. It moved some serious air and was the perfect blend of chunky yet articulate.

I felt like the OD channels were just too compressed and over the top.

At the end of the day, though, my DSL401C was a better sounding (and more practical) amp for me. And literally it was 1/4 the price of the JVMs.

Matteo11 likes this.
  15. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

The SK’s MV is touchy. The amp opens up a bit as you get to about 2/10 but it’s got decent volume by then. Not crazy loud, but not definitely apartment-at-midnight quiet either. It’s fairly easily solvable with an EQ (MXR 10-band for me) or volume pedal in the loop, or with an attenuator, but on its own I’d not recommend it for an apartment. With one of those fixes though...phenomenal amp.

16. LaXu

LaXu Member

I haven't played the Super Kraken but did try the regular Kraken. The MV is unusable in the low volume range. You would have to put a volume box in the loop to tame it. Tried it in a store through the Victory 4x12 and volume on 1 was already close to 100 dB @ 1m. It sounds good like that though but it's just not manageable. To be honest the Friedman BE50 Deluxe I tried has the same issue to a smaller degree - sounds good on a low setting, but hard to control accurately.

17. themightyjay

themightyjay Member

The regular JVM is awful in my opinion. Buzzy and compressed and anything above mid gain is absolutely unusable due to the high levels of noise.

The Satriani amp however is really great. Basically the way the amp should have been in the first place in my opinion. The build quality is noticeably better as well compared to the regular.

Matteo11 and WiresDream like this.
  18. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

:spit

BigBadOrange likes this.
  19. lharless

lharless Member

Oops. Edited. Yep. Meant to say rock solid.

Matteo11 likes this.
  20. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

I owned one for a few years. The Satriani version I mean. It was a killer amp. But something odd happened. Basically one day I noticed that if I plugged directly into the amp, the tone was very low-gain, muffled and dark, like the amp was loading the guitar badly or something. But if I had a Boss pedal in the signal path, it was fine. Perfect.

So I took it to Marshall and they had to do some work on it. Their support was fantastic actually. The mainboard ended up needing to be replaced.

When I got the amp back, it didn't really sound the same. It sounded more 'classic' and less modern like I remembered. I spent a few months trying to figure out if it was all in my head, checked the bias levels, used the same tubes in the same sockets, used different tubes, etc.. etc.. and the amp never quite sounded how I thought it should. But it was in perfect working order. So I just ended up selling it.

I do kind of miss it in a way, but we should remember that a lot of the modern high-gain amps we all love are based on hot-rodded Marshalls anyway. So we're spoilt for choice really.

The original JVM didn't do much for me. Too noisy and too gainy on the OD channels. Satch version is much better, even for my style of post-metal sludgy stuff. Clean channel was much better too. The built in noise-gates on the Satch version were excellent. That's one feature I wish more amps had.

Critically too - the channel switching time on the original JVM is lousy. It's much much MUCH better on the Satch version. So ... only buy the Satch version I'd say!

Matteo11 likes this.