Marshall JVM...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Matteo11, Jun 15, 2019.

How do you rate the Marshall JVM Series?

1. 5 Stars (Fantastic amp one of the best Marshall has put out since the 80's)

27 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. 4 Stars (Great amp but there is better around that price point used)

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. 3 Stars (Good amp not sure I would own one)

17 vote(s)
    27.0%
  4. 2 Stars (Definitely pass. Not a good amp at all)

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. 1 Star (I only play acoustic and I am in the wrong sub forum...Anyone seen my James Taylor CD?)

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. 8len8

8len8 Member

I had a JVM215C but never bonded with it over the 8 years I used it in various rock cover bands. The tone had a midrange peak and graininess that was more modern sounding than traditional Marshall amps (Plexi, 800, DSL). Even tube and speaker swaps didn’t help.

I’m much more into the Plexi, 800, and DSL tones. I’m just happy that Marshall offers so many different amp options based on the sound and features I’m after.

Matteo11 likes this.
  2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

These seem to sound pretty good. I think the main complaints I've read over the years is they have a 'practice amp' build quality to them compared to older Marshall amps. I don't know if they're actually built poorly, I've read mixed reviews on it. If you like how it sounds then by all means you can probably make it work fine.

Matteo11 likes this.
  3. lessthan12

lessthan12 Member

Yup, you 2 just confirmed what I read about the Victory amps so Im glad I didn't order it on a whim. I live in a duplex style apartment with the 72 year old hard of hearing landlord on the other side so my normal playtime volume is 2 or so on the Small Box, so definitely not low volume lol, at 2 that thing is running pretty open. But early in the morning and then after 8 pm I wind it down and it still sounds phenomenal. I also had a Be100 that was the same way but I DID NOT beed that much firepower so off it went. Ive had pretty much everything there is and just recently got rid of my second Axe Fx III to go back to tubes and couldn't be happier. The modelers are quite remarkable these days but still missing just a tiny bit of the equation

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  4. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

OP you may also want to consider a Mesa TC series for multi-channel amp:

Its a solid contender and can get into Marshall tones.

Deadpool_25, Matteo11 and Coopster like this.
  5. Coopster

Coopster Member

My understanding is the original JVM was a modern Marshall voiced basically trying to compete with the other, newer amps that were coming out at the time. Mesa Rectifier, Engl's, VHT(Freyette) Which, what's it been now, 15 years? The Satch model is Marshall history in a box. Each channel is modelled after Joe's favorite amps with the best parts of the JVM tagged in. It's actually the one Marshall I still have a desire to get my hands on. But I'm a Satriani nut so there you go.

Then you'll probably be ok, I don't think I ever cracked the MV past 10 o'clock. It's pretty loud but I could only ever turn up like that on a rare occasion.

Matteo11 and ShreddyKrueger like this.
  6. Coopster

Coopster Member

This will likely be my next amp venture. It's not too far removed from my RA but has a few extra features like the CabClone and the third channel isn't sharing any knobs. I dig these a lot.

Jabby92 and Matteo11 like this.
  7. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

Been gigging with mine since they came out. Rock solid and it is still my main gigging head, even though I now have many heads. I did see something here that caught my eye. A couple of the haters had the combos. I loved my 410h so much and had a chance to pick up the combo cheap. So I did. Everything I love about my head was gone. I couldn't do anything to that combo to make it sound the way I wanted it to. Then I plugged the combo into a 4/12, and boom, the magic was back. So I guess I do need to say something about that. If I remember correctly the combos are open back.

8. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Yeah, its definitely in that ball park. Some Mesa fans don't like it at all since its really not like a Dual Rec or anything.. but if you're sort of wanting some inbetween a Plexi and Dual Rec, I think you would enjoy it. Its basically a 3 channel RA with a few tweaks/improvements. Lots of gain in channel 3 and the tube bias thing is nice.

Matteo11 likes this.
  9. Coopster

Coopster Member

My feeling is if you want a Dual Rec, get a Dual Rec. I went after the JVM originally because I thought what I wanted was a Marshall that could get in to Mesa territory without being a Mesa. Turns out what I REALLY wanted was a Mesa that can get in to Marshall territory without being a Marshall. :D Only took me about ten years and too many amps to figure that out.

Jabby92 and Matteo11 like this.
  10. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Thanks. I actually owned the Mesa TC-50 for a little bit. It is a great amp and I enjoyed it for awhile but in the long run I just could never bond with it. That seems to be my experience with other Mesas I’ve tried before too. They are imo some of the best engineered well thought out amps on the planet and Mesas customer service is top notch I just haven’t struck gold with them yet.

I’m stil interested in trying out the Royal Atlantic, TA-30 & Electradyne though.

BoogieManSC likes this.
  11. MjS88

MjS88 Member

I played a JVM half stack a handful of times in a rehearsal space. I was very impressed! It’s pretty versatile and modern but the classic sounds are there. I ran it on OD1 or 2 I believe, green mode with a Bad Monkey for boost. Killer hard rock sound.

Matteo11 likes this.
  12. twotone

twotone Member

It sounds good with Vintage 30s, but not G12T75s.

13. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

I had the TC-50 and now have the TC-100. Bother are great, but the TC-100 is definitely better imo. Seems like it has more low end and the power scaling is very useful.

14. MjS88

MjS88 Member

I disagree. The 75s need more volume to come alive though.

15. Sir Don

Sir Don Member

The Satch version is the way to go, I've been using two of them in my live rig for the last four years without problems. The noise gates are fantastic. Midi switching is also great with my GT8 in the loop.

Matteo11 likes this.
  16. Simto

Simto Member

I voted 3 because I think it's a great line. Would have voted 4, but the "but there is better around that price point used" line ruined that score for me hehe.
    Hard to beat this amp really at that price range and that style.

Matteo11 likes this.
  17. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

The factory footswitches and MIDI control are great for remote control, if you need that.

18. 55goldtop

55goldtop Silver Supporting Member

19. jabps

jabps Member

Same here. Got mine about a year after they came out and has been my main amp since that point. At one time when I was gigging, rehearsing and recording I had two, one just for backup in case needed. Never needed it. During that time frame I probably played close to 200 shows, tons of rehearsals and not one issue.

It's incredibly versatile from clean to massive high gain. If you want great hot rodded 800 style tones, OD1 Amber is pretty much dead on. And I grew up on 2203's and 2204's. Effects loop is fantastic and if you change channels via midi, as I do...it's pretty dang simple. Amp also sounds great through most cabs as well. Further, I don't use a noise gate as well, never have with any of the high gain amps I've owned. Never had any issue's with noise. Mods - only thing I ever thought about doing is having someone mod OD2's three channels to sound like OD1's three modes. OD2 is eq'd lower. Not as Marshally.

I've literally not had gas for an amp since I bought it. Tried the Satch model and it's fine as well, just more refined but I preferred the stock JVM as it's more hairy. Really amps that I want to buy these days are just for fun or maybe go back and buy something I owned in the past that I liked...just to have them. I cannot see the JVM not being my main amp. Frankly IMO it's one of the most underrated amps Marshall has ever made. Yeah, it's got alot of knobs but the tones are all there.

20. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

I can only comment on the the 205H, which is what I have and gig with. I think this is the best original Marshall design since JCM800 and is the most versatile amp they have ever made. I've been through a lot of heads and this one easily holds it's own. One of the biggest complaints is the noise and feedback on the OD channel. However by swapping one preamp tube this is solved. There is a lot of misinformation and overhyped negative opinion about the amp. It's a deep amp and with the footswitch or a midi controller it's the most versatile high gain amp I've ever played that also has great cleans and low to medium gain sounds. Plus 2 master volumes. Reverb is the only weak point, but it's useable. Good loop. Everything is controllable with the footswitch or midi. Plus you can find them used for under $700-800. If you go to the Marshallforum.com page you'll find a lot of useful info on the amp. If you like the way Marshalls sound you will not be disappointed.