• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marshall JVM210H among others....

Fretmaster

Got to play a Marshall JVM210H through my own cabs with my own guitars this weekend and I have to say my impression was very good. I played a JVM410 some time ago in another guy's rig and was left unimpressed to say the least. Now I'm rethinking this amp. The one I played this weekend really sounded good and was full of good ol' Marshall tones of days gone by. I have said for many years that the last decent amp Marshall produced was the EL34 version of the 6100. I think the JVM may be the new best for modern Marshall's. And after playing one thoroughly through cabinets and with guitars that I am extremely familiar with I have to say this head is quite good for doing exactly what it was designed to do....Marshall tone!

We also had an EVH 5150 III head with matching cab there and had a chance to A/B them. Tone is subjective of course so I won't go to far in that regard beyond saying... if you want Marshall tone...get the Marshall NOT the EVH period. On the less subjective side, the Marshall had better clarity and came through the mix better. And the JVM is also a great deal more versatile. And with the EVH price tag being substantially higher it would be a no brainer for me. Actually a no brainer even if the JVM was more expensive. But I'm an old vintage Marshall nut so YMMV.

Played a Fuchs Viper through a Marshall 4x12 cab. I know this amp was not meant to be a vintage sounding machine and it certainly isn't. But having said that; it's also not quite a typical mid-scooped death metal high gain amp either. A fairly decent amount of mid-range can be dialed in. Not nearly enough to get into classic, vintage territory but enough to get a tasty chunky rodded tone that was quite fun to throw down rude, nasty, harmonic laden chops with and with exception clarity for an amp with that level of gain. If you're in the market for a high gainer that can get chunky and almost classic sounding this is one worth taking a look at. I love the ODS line but didn't fall in love with the Viper. But it was fun to wank on!

I guess the point of this post is simply to say, if you thought the EVH 5150 III might be the "new Marshall" amp for you to nail hot rodded Marshall type tones with you own it to yourself to check out the JVM line. If true Marshall tones are what you're seeking I think the JVM will make you very happy and save you a few $$$ in the process.

All always.... just my .02

Steve

scruffydoo

might have another look at these, had one of the first 410's and after a while was equally unimpressed, so thanks for the nod

Gnarlly

I tried the JVM and couldn't dial in a good Marshall tone to save my life. The 5150 III on the other hand sounded great instantly, and after a little tweaking sounded totally awesome to my ears. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Fretmaster

I tried the JVM and couldn't dial in a good Marshall tone to save my life. The 5150 III on the other hand sounded great instantly, and after a little tweaking sounded totally awesome to my ears. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Pretty much what I said in my OP. Tone is very subjective to say the least. But honestly... if you couldn't get a Marshall tone out of the Marshall JVM then maybe a true Marshall tone isn't what you're looking for. I've owned more than a dozen Marshall's over the last 35+ years and the JVM is a Marshall and has that tonal signature that is very unique to Marshall's.

The EVH on the other hand is something different. That's not a good or bad thing, it's just not true Marshall tone or feel. Marshallesque yes.... but the tonal signature and feel are different. Some may like it better which is obviously the case with you. But I doubt many fans of the Marshall amps of yesteryear (SLP, JMP, JCM, etc.) would find the 5150 III to be more "Marshall" sounding than the JVM.

With the more complicated set-up of the JVM it is possible to dial in a lot of different tones including bad ones. With the EVH what you see is what you get so to speak. Other than tweaking the eq for each channel (all three of which are basically the same channel with more gain as you go to the right). The JVM on the other hand takes a little longer to figure out but when you do you can find all kinds of killer tones from classic Marshall crunch, to absurd overdrives to surprisingly good cleans. But all of them have the tonal characteristics old school Marshall players will find very familiar.

I've owned many real Marshall's (still own a 69' SLP and a 72' 50 watt) and I've owned many, many, many boutique copies, some of which maybe had better clarity or tighter bottom end or better cleans or more gain but generally speaking when you "improve" upon (which is subjective) any of these characteristics you are often changing the vary things that make a Marshall what it is and why they are still some of the most sought after amplifiers on the planet.

I've been there... bought the boutiquer that had the tighter bottom end or better cleans or what ever and almost always ended up eventually letting them go because they just couldn't quite get "that" sound and feel. I guess the best way to say it is; if you want an amp that sounds like a Marshall (and there are many new model Marshall's that suck) buy a "good" Marshall or you will end up selling what ever you bought to buy one eventually. On the other hand, if you've found an amp that has tone, feel or character you truly find better it probably was never a Marshall tone you where looking for in the first place. And that's a very cool thing too. There are many amps out there I love just as much or more than nearly any Marshall but it's not a Marshall I'm looking for in any of them. ;)

Last edited:

Stu Blue

Got to agree with Fretmaster about the JVM being the best modern Marshall. None of my old 4 holers sounded like a 5150 unless something had fallen off the circuit boards, indeed I think of the EVH sound as being "broken Marshall" tone. Trouble is people think of the classic recordings by Hendrix and Clapton which were actually Marshall plus fuzz plus talent and expect "that" tone to be handed to them on a plate by the amp itself. By modern metal standards the classic Marshalls are scarey clean.......

donnievaz

If you get a chance, play that JVM210 through some Celestion Heritage G12H30's. Sounds phenomenal.

Flameout12

I think JVMs have to be matched up with the right speakers, etc; and also need some break-in time. It also takes a while to figure out what knobs to tweak to get your tone. Helps to have a classic Marshall nearby to use as a baseline for tone.

GT100

I briefly tried one a while back and was unimpressed.
But I think the cab and possibly the guitar were suspect.

This reveiew makes me want to give it a second chance...

Lloyd

donnievaz

I briefly tried one a while back and was unimpressed.
But I think the cab and possibly the guitar were suspect.

This reveiew makes me want to give it a second chance...

Lloyd
You really should. There are a lot of great tones in that amp but it takes a little time and familiarity with the amp to get them out.

The speakers are also very important depending on what tones you're looking for. I've played mine extensively using a 1960A 4x12 w/ G12T-75's, 1960A 4x12 w/ G12T-75's & V30's X-pattern, and a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 w/ Heritage G12H-30 Greenbacks. The Greenbacks just crush the rest IMO. Especially for classic rock & 80's stuff. I wish I could afford to load my 4x12 with them.

van5073

Im trying one out today. From what I have gathered from this and a similar topic I had posted a few days ago, this may be "THE" amp for me, for gigging.
I have an JCM 800 and a JMP 50 watt, both which I like very much.
If the 210h can pull off those tones plus a little extra for some heavier stuff we do , Im in. Good to hear this from someone who has played some vintage Marshalls and the more modern takes of them.

Laced Senses

Double Platinum Member
Yeah, choice of speakers and tubes makes a big difference for JVM amps...and tube amps and in general for that matter.

BSHARP

The gain settings I use on the JVM410H are between 8 0'clock and 9 o'clock (less than a 1/4 turn on the dial). The volume on my LP guitar is set at 3 and with these settings I get great sound and plenty of gain.
The gain settings on the DSL50 for example are much higher, typically 1 o'clock. It is important to remember that you can't use the same settings you are familiar with from other rigs and get good sounds out of the JVM.

Stu Blue

The gain settings I use on the JVM410H are between 8 0'clock and 9 o'clock (less than a 1/4 turn on the dial). The volume on my LP guitar is set at 3 and with these settings I get great sound and plenty of gain.
The gain settings on the DSL50 for example are much higher, typically 1 o'clock. It is important to remember that you can't use the same settings you are familiar with from other rigs and get good sounds out of the JVM.
Here is wisdom... you get the best out of any amp by not thrashing the hell out of the poor valve in V1. Unfortunately this forum appears to full of people who "must" have their guitar volume on 10 the whole time and then complain lack of dynamics, harsh tone etc..........

Top Bottom