Marshall JVM410H Users...what glass are you using???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clay49, Jan 24, 2012.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

Picked up a used one and I like it so far. Going to experiement with preamp and power tube glass...what do you use and what does it accomplish for you??? How did it change the sound and feel of the amp for you from stock glass?

I've used Winged C EL34 tubes before and liked them...has anyone tried TAD EL34 tubes??? How are they???

2. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

JJel34s, V1 and PI.
    Can't compare to stock, because I never had em, but the JJs sound fine to me. Loud, powerful, plenty of headroom n balls. Not too much of anything, frequency wise.

3. clay49

4. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

I've used TAD tubes, but not in that particular amp. I like the Winged Cs a little better, but it's all relative to what sound you're after, I suppose.

5. clay49

I was thinking about TAD, but after talking to a real tube guru, he told me that TAD are like Groove Tubes...tubes that are rebranded Russian, Chinese, and more less often, JJ tubes (because they are more expensive on the wholesale market). I realize this info is probably old news to many, but I was not aware. So I am leaning toward either Winged C, which I have used before, or JJ E34L tubes, and possibly JJ KT77's.

6. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

I like the JJ 6L6 tubes, but for EL34s, I think the Russian Winged Cs are tough to beat. For production tubes anyway.

How do you like the JVM? I've been wanting to try one for a while. Any noise issues? Would you describe the gain as tight or loose?

7. clay49

I actually am enjoying it very much. I had pretty much written off Marshall over the last 15-20 years because nothing they were making sounded like their amps I used back in the 70's and early 80's. I just happened to be in a local shop recently that had a used 205H on the floor and I thought, "What the heck, let's give it a go." Well, I was pleasantly surprized, being able to pull out those great "crunch rock tones" of the 70's-80's relatively easily.

They wanted $900 for the 205H used, but opted to pick up a used 410H (two more channels, which basically gives you a total of 12 different voicings), and got one for 1K on Ebay.

As to noise, there is some hissing, but I've not ever owned a Marshall that didn't have some. However, I've been able to put aside some money from the sale of other gear, and will probably ship this off to Jerry at FJA Mods, and get his standard JVM mod to tighten up the gain, make the attack a little quicker, add a choke, decrease the gain on OD2 channel and increase it on the Crunch Channel, and diminish the hiss. The cleans on this thing are the BEST Marshall has ever come up with...really spanking, sparkling clean.

Here is a link to some of Jerry's work on these amps:

http://www.fjamods.com/Marshall.html

Scroll down the page and you'll the JMV Mods clips. But be forewarned...this might push you over the edge to getting one!