Marshall/Les Paul Tone question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jon, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Jon

Jon Member

There's a particular tone that I've heard in various guises, that I know is Les Paul into Marshall which I can't quite seem to get whenever I plug an LP into a Marshall. Perhaps the best example is on the WCR pickups website - there's a soundclip for the Fillmore pickups of someone doing the Allman's Stormy Monday solo - it's as though just certain frequencies are being emphasised to give a slight nasal but fat tone - almost like using a wah in a fixed position, but not quite as extreme. Is this partly down to the pickups (most of the other WCR humbucker clips don't seem to have this tone). Any ideas?

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

It's a function of the amp I bet. What type of Marshall are you playing through? For that Allmans thing, a plexi style sound is needed. Thick, not too distorted. Generally I've gotten that sound with good celestion speakers too- they help. Your playing may also come into account. But generally speaking the LP & loud Plexi combo is pretty much what you need for that sound. Best I ever got it?

1960 LP into a 68 plexi w a 2x12 cab from the same year. OMG it wasn't hard to get those sounds. Frankly everything sounded like "Live at the Fillmore".

Great.

JD

3. Jon

Jon Member

I've got a LP Classic with WCR Crossroads pups into a Victoria Sovereign head (their take on the plexi/bassman style of circuit so I believe) - sounds great but doesn't really seem to give that tone.

4. grantford

grantford Member

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

This is one of my 'Grail' tones.

Plexi, and 50's neck LP...Heritage Cherry, no, GoldTop.

Yummy.

EP

6. Jon

Jon Member

There are a lot of recorded examples of Les Paul into Marshall that don't have quite that nasal quality on the WCR clip - Kossoff with Free or Clapton with Mayall - fantastic tones agreed, but not quite what I'm after. Allman brothers live is closer - is it a specific pickup & tone combination to some extent?

7. John55

John55 Member

That Allmans tone is in their speakers... JBL D120s and Altec 417s are what they used and somewhat necessary to get that nasal honk you're hearing on their live albums. Got to have the LP into a cranked Marshall too!

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

I think Dicky Betts used the 50 watt Plexis into Marshall cabs with JBL D120s and the back partially open. I think Allman used 100 watt Plexis with standard Marshall cabs and green backs. I could be wrong about Allman.

9. John55

John55 Member

Betts always used 100w amps, still does, along with JBLs. If you listen, his tone is always cleaner than DA's. Duane used a 50w head with Altecs or JBLs. They both used 4x12s with holes cut in the back.

10. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

Don't forget that the equipment used for recording will influence the sound as well. Different pieces of equipment can effect different frequencies.

The same model Marshall can also have very different tones, depending upon a variety of factors.

Good luck in your tone quest.

11. JDW3

JDW3 Member

If it's the clip I'm thinking of, it's not a Marshall. It's a LP into a 60's Fender Pro Reverb, with a mid boost mod. It sounds killer, and it's also the same tone the ABB had on various recordings. Because they were using Fenders. Whipping Post, to me, is a great example of a Fender Twin.

12. Jon

Jon Member

On the old WCR site it said that it was a LP into a modded Marshall combo (& there was a pic of it) - can't remember what model or who the clip was by. I think I'll contact Jim Wagner & see if he can shed some light.

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

Didn't Duane use Vega ER-123s in his cabs? The silver caps make them look like JBLs from the front.

14. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Supporting Member

+1 even mic placement will be a huge influence on the sound of that clip, compared with how it sounded "live" when it was recorded.

15. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Play with your guitar tone controls and see if that helps..

16. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

sometimes a treble booster into the right amp with a Les Paul's neck pickup gets that tone.

17. gillibi

gillibi Member

+1!

18. Jon

Jon Member

Thanks for the info guys - I think JBLs plus a treble booster would be my next step.

19. Caretaker

Caretaker Supporting Member

Relative humidity/heat in the room also has an affect on speaker sag. Ever notice most of the best live recordings are from small venues in the winter? No ac and the heat is on. Amps like to be HOT.

20. zerocharisma

zerocharisma Supporting Member

I'm no expert but I think in that particular clip the amp must be a Fender. It's got that hollow,clicking tone going that I've only heard coming from a Fender. I dunno I could be wrong.