Marshall Malmsteen YJM100 Video Demo [NAMM 2011]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Steve Mavronis, Jan 14, 2011.

1. rob2001

rob2001 Member

My thoughts too. Put aside the fact that it's a signature, I really like it's features.

2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Another signature amp from Marshall attempting to cash in on another small group of (this time) Yngwie fans.......sigh.

Hey, in these times nothing wrong with wanting to make a buck, but coming from a company who used to build some of the worlds greatest amplifiers back in the day, it's pretty sad to see them slowly digress in quality and innovation over the years. What a shame.

BTW, is that a 57 draped in front of the speaker? :nono
    That's surely a good was to capture poor quality (though I think the sound for the video may be coming from just from the camera)

As far as this signature model, it may be a cool sounding amp (though I doubt it), but from that clip it doesn't sound anything like Yngwie's tone.
    I remember reading an interview way back were Yngwie was asked about his set up, and he replied that he considered himself the dinosaur of setups (or something along those lines) meaning that he like it pure & simple using just an overdrive plugged directly into his Marshall and didn't like anything else.
    Well then, this new amp certainly isn't true to that either with all the bells & whistles.

HEY MARSHALL!!! WAKE UP AND BUILD SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS KILLER AGAIN

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Sounds pretty damn good to me! I'm stoked about this amp, and I don't give a **** about capturing Yngwie's tone.

So far, nice job Marshall! :beer

4. TubeStack

Exactly.

5. Johns7022

Johns7022 Senior Member

Best I can tell, it looks like everything but the kitchen sink has been put into that amp...

6. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

I'm curious, what was the last great amp they made?

I'm guessing from the clip that a LP style hb loaded guitar is probably not going to get very close to Yngwie's tones.

7. rastaman

rastaman Member

:aok

I don't think they should of put ANY effects on an amp (except a real reverb - no digital). Everyone has different tastes, just a waste IMO.

8. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Hey George!

I'd have to say the vertical input JCM 800 was the last great amp they made.
    My favorite is the '68 or '69 Superlead

9. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

and I thought you were going to say the Hi Gain Dual Reverb JCM 900. :aok

I thought the tones in this clip sounded good, no need for reverb though.

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

So, you own one, or have played one? Just thinking this is a pretty strong opinion, you must have inside info or first hand knowledge.

11. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Excellent points here. While I am a YJM fan, whats puzzling about this model Marshall to me is his tone was really not that hard to nail (playing well fugettaboutit). Dimarzio HS-3 equipped maple neck strat or knockoff, DOD 250 or YJM308, Boss NS-2, EL34 50 or 100 watter....done. In fact it was one of the easiest for me to obtain unlike the more elusive EVH "brown sound" w/ attenuators, flanges, phase, delay, Ted Templeton etc....

Regardless of it being a signature series release, the features look very appealing for touring or non-touring musicians alike. So far as tone, hard to tell from the vid but it sounded decent. I only cringe at what the availability of a repair shop, knowledgable tech, along with the cost might be if the digital section or attenuator malfunctions as examples. Didn't Rhino amps (now defunct?) have a similar Blackstar model that kept breaking?

12. TubeStack

Wow, what a surprise. :rolleyes:

13. TubeStack

Vintage Modern or the Class 5. :)

14. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Just judging by the YT-video with a bucker guitar, at least I'd say it's pretty promising, I hear decent string definition and a it's quite raw sounding, it might sound just right with the right strat. It's an amp I will check out for sure.

15. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, exactly.

I've re-listened a few times, and that's what I'm digging about it. A real gnarlly snarling tone.

Digging it.

16. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

Man I wish the amp manufacturers would just stop putting reverb in new amps. Sure, I dig it in a Fender amp I guess well enough but I just hate it on a Marshall. I dont know why I hate it, I just do.

I like the sound of the amp. Id like to hear some cleans though.

17. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Kudos for this and my thoughts exactly.

18. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Whilst this advice 'should' be sound. I went out and bought ALL that stuff and in fact sounded even more nothing like Yngwie! I switched back to stock GFender pickups and got closer. And while I play Marshall early 70's amps exclusively I still get a more convincing Yngwie tone plugging into a hot rod deluxe and using the built in gain channel. No word of a lie. Heres a clip I recorded on the Marshall after seeing Yngwie a few years back, I don't get into him as much as I used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imj7-f2GcB0

19. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Wow....a plexi with 2 front panels. And people complaining about Marshall.

20. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

+1 Its ironic, all the great Marshall amps that are considered to be "holy grail" often times weren't. Its rare to find a vintage Marshall that has not been modified.