• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marshall Mini Jubilee

csand

Hey folks

Have been considering picking one of these up as a lower wattage amp for when my DSL 50 and 4x12s is a bit too much (or I'm feeling too lazy to move it all :D)

So I went into the store and plugged in the mini Jubilee combo with a standard Les Paul...

Cleans were decent enough, but the drive sounded like ass, even after some judicious knob-twiddling and cranking the amp up to let it use those tubes. Played around for a half hour.... couldn't find anything I was very excited about.

End result in my opinion... my DSL 50 smokes this thing in every possible way, even when turned down to equivalent volumes. Granted I've got nice tubes in my DSL 50 and great speakers in my 4x12 but man... was expecting more for that many dollaridoos.

More out of curiosity, I would love to hear from some people who own/play the mini Jube head or combo regularly. Is that just "the jubilee sound" I dislike? It seems, to me anyways, for that much money, to be a pretty mediocre amp. Not good value, in other words.

Speaking of value... I then tried a (made in Canada!!) Traynor (15 watt?) lunchbox head for almost 1/3 the price of the mini Jubilee head. Night and day compared to the mini marshall. Opposite experience actually, I had a very difficult time making the Traynor sound bad!! (No I'm not affiliated with Traynor in any way!)

Deluzion

I had the same experience with mine, The drive was just fizzy and uninspiring. Not what i expect a good Jub to sound like for sure. Thought perhaps mine was a bad one. Couldnt wait to send it back.

guitarman3001

Have you considered a Friedman Runt? I have a DSL40C and had debated between a Mini Jubilee, a Mesa TC50, and the Runt. I ended up going with the Runt and imo, it completely obliterates the DSL.

csand

Ah, you know, my DSL50 is my one true love (it's the older DSl made in England). I've played many amps, boutique and otherwise... the DSL just always wins for me.

Runt looks great on paper and I believe your post 100%... but I'm doubting that it's 3x better than the Traynor (related to the 3x price tag :D) That is the first amp I've tried that I thought encroached into my DSL 50's kingdom :D

Wish they Friedman around here though, would love to try one out

neteraser

Is that just "the jubilee sound" I dislike?
I would think so. On the the other hand, the problem may originate somewhere else. There is a lot of mystery going on with amps, especially with the amps done right. Sometimes you'll get an amp delivered from a store, turn it on and think "whut? is this sh~t really what you get???" then after some time it starts working as intended and your experience becomes positive.
I don't think there's absolutely nothing to like in this amp. But yeah, could be just not your flavor...

FiestaRed

It sounds like you are just not a Jubilee guy.

Initially I was put off with the buzz factory tones. It took me about an hour or so (with frequent interruptions) to figure out how to dial out the buzz that you mention. At first I was messing with the tone on the amp and the guitars, then the presence. The master volumes and gain settings got rid of the buzz. It's still an amp that will cut, but the buzz is gone. It has all those Marshall tones that I have been missing over the years buying and selling so many other different brands. I only have a strat and tele right now, so no guitar with a humbucker. I'm going to have to find a nice black R8 to fill that spot -- I am definitely anxious to hear that combination live. And the volume in the home isn't something that is overpowering. I've got all the volume and gain knobs at around 6, and run it on the 20W setting.

This amp has temporarily cured any desire for another amp. I was thinking perhaps a Badger 30, a DSL40C, or a DRRI, but the Jubilee and a PRRI cover everything quite nicely.

Last edited:

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
Hey folks

Have been considering picking one of these up as a lower wattage amp for when my DSL 50 and 4x12s is a bit too much (or I'm feeling too lazy to move it all :D)

So I went into the store and plugged in the mini Jubilee combo with a standard Les Paul...

Cleans were decent enough, but the drive sounded like ass, even after some judicious knob-twiddling and cranking the amp up to let it use those tubes. Played around for a half hour.... couldn't find anything I was very excited about.

End result in my opinion... my DSL 50 smokes this thing in every possible way, even when turned down to equivalent volumes. Granted I've got nice tubes in my DSL 50 and great speakers in my 4x12 but man... was expecting more for that many dollaridoos.

More out of curiosity, I would love to hear from some people who own/play the mini Jube head or combo regularly. Is that just "the jubilee sound" I dislike? It seems, to me anyways, for that much money, to be a pretty mediocre amp. Not good value, in other words.

Speaking of value... I then tried a (made in Canada!!) Traynor (15 watt?) lunchbox head for almost 1/3 the price of the mini Jubilee head. Night and day compared to the mini marshall. Opposite experience actually, I had a very difficult time making the Traynor sound bad!! (No I'm not affiliated with Traynor in any way!)
OP, it could be that you are just not a "Jubilee Guy", but I think it is more likely that you didn't give it enough time to dial in sounds to your liking?
I recently purchased a "slightly used" Mini Jubilee 2525c in mint condition, and am very pleased with the sonic offerings of this amp!
Can it sound buzzy/fizzy? Absolutely yes, but only at very low volume levels and with too much gain, treble, presence dialed in at those very low levels. Many other tube amps will also sound "fizzy/buzzy" when set at super low volume levels IMO.

My Mini Jubilee 2525c starts to sound its best at moderate to high channel volume and master volume levels (20w setting especially, but even the 5w setting too).
People that are looking for a good sound at "whisper quite bedroom levels" should look elsewhere for sure....as that is not the 2525c's forte or intent for that matter.

I think the Marshall 2525c is a great sounding amp when played at moderate to high volume levels and offers a wide variety of sounds from very nice cleans to mean high gain crunch / solo sounds when set to taste. The Bass, Middle, Treble and Presence settings along with Gain, Channel Volume and Master Volume settings make a huge difference in sounds.....many of which are to my liking! Just My Opinions and YMMV.

Maybe I am weird or unusual, but I have never bonded with "DSL" amps that I have auditioned. That said, the Jubilee (and Mini Jubilee) and DSL amps are very different to be sure, and it is quite possible that one might like one or the other and not both depending upon their needs/styles. Of course, others might like both. All is good....

kustombob

It's a know fact that the Jubilee is a much better amp than the DSL series. Its controls are very responsive in the way the slightest change in them makes a big difference. Every one I know has not like it at first intill they know how to use the controls then they love it. Plus you have to have the volume up. Much like a Marshall 800 you have to crank it. Trying it out in a music store at low volume is a waste of time. You cant be scared to crank it.

Hefalump

It's a know fact that the Jubilee is a much better amp than the DSL series. Its controls are very responsive in the way the slightest change in them makes a big difference. Every one I know has not like it at first intill they know how to use the controls then they love it. Plus you have to have the volume up. Much like a Marshall 800 you have to crank it. Trying it out in a music store at low volume is a waste of time. You cant be scared to crank it.
Hmmm guess you better tell Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, And a bazzillion other pros who used DSLs.

sickboy79

I can't speak for the Mini Jubilee but, I have an original 50w head and a DSL 50w head (JCM 2000). I personally prefer the Jubilee by quite a bit. I don't find it buzzy or fizzy at all. To my ears, it's warmer and fatter than the DSL for overdriven tones. I also find that it sounds better to my ears at lower volumes as well. Don't get me wrong, the DSL is a great amp. I just prefer the Jubilee.

Again, I haven't heard/played a Mini Jubilee in person but, you just may not care for the Jubilee tone. It's really it's own thing.

Phila67

I got a mini-jubilee head for my son for x-mas and I have to admit it takes some getting used to. The drive is not quite what I expected and seems to have a slight "cocked wah" character to it --The GNR tone without a wah pedal. Makes sense if that is what Slash was using. But it is a Marshall and it's useable with tweaking. Still need to get to know it before making a final judgment. Also, did not seem as loud as I expected a Marshall 20 watt to be without putting the masters way up. I think @FiestaRed's assessment above is accurate.

Also, I was expecting that mains switch would be the classic transparent red switch but was surprised that it solid opaque and slightly cheaper looking. Of course, the mains switch makes all the difference!

Last edited:

KelsterVonShredster

Silver Supporting Member
Go Friedman. I have been left always underwhelmed with any of the modern day Marshall's....once I went Friedman, that was it. Found the holy grail of rock crunch. For me, the Mini Dirty Shirley is the perfect amp.

kustombob

I would think the DSL's that top pros use have been modified in some way. I know of s few mods that are suppose to help the DSL sound different or better' But the added cost of a premium transformer 'tech cost to do the modes ect' Heck you might just get a better amp to begin with. The DSL H is a great amp' my amp is stock and though a 1960ax cab with old greenbacks sound pretty darn good.

PaisleyWookie

It could be that the Jubilee sound just isn't for you. For me, the DSL can't touch the Mini Jub. It's just a better sounding amp, IMO.

manimal

Eh, I had a DSL50 head and while it looked very nice, and cleans were good....the thing OD'd on mids and I couldn't take it! Moved it after 3 months.
My Mini Jubilee combo?! Wayyyy better sounding clean or overdriven. The master output volume and master leads, and presence are crucial to making sure it's not buzzy or fizzy.
But Marshall is an amp that should be brighter, it cuts. I have built up a tolerance and a NEED for the Marshall sound hahaha.....I love the raw in your face sound. Most other amps are too dark, flubby, boomy, etc. I could have and almost did go with the Runt 20.....the 2525C was way more inspiring to play, more fun...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom