Marshall or New Boutique Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ShredSquatch, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Who here has had older vintage Marshall's... then switched to a new amp like Divided, Reinhardt, Morgans, Matchless and others then gone back to Marshall?

That's my situation now... There is just something about those older vintage JTM, JMP and PLEXI's that just have "that sound". However these newer amps are KILLER as well. Unfortunately I can't have both at the moment so I have to decide. I'm leaning towards a JTM 45 over my RSA31...

Anybody had the same or similar experience that can help out?

Thanks!

2. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Started with JMP MVs - WHICH I CONCLUDED WAS THE TONE FOR ME. Then went to Splawn to get more gain / features. Then breifly went back to a JMP, then back to Splawn again.

When I went back to the JMP it was for 2 reasons... 1) love of the vintage gear, and 2) to convince me that I really wasn't missing anything with the Splawn (tonally speaking). After having the JMP for a little while, I was quickly reminded why I moved away from these amps in the first place and went back to Splawn...

At the end of the day, I concluded that the Splawn has the basic JMP sound that I love and more in terms of features, and available gain. Plus, I felt like the Splawn might be more reliable than a 30 year old amp with a history that I wasn't acquainted with. Never had a problem with a JMP, but again... these are 30 year old amps so who knows...

All things considered, sticking with the Splawn was a more practical and flexible choice for me that delivered the same great tone I got from the JMPs. I still love the vintage JMPs and may have one again someday, but the Splawn will be my "go to" amp for most situations.

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Went from JCM800's, to marshall handwired, to Reinhardt, and my own builds.

Reinhardt and my own sounded better to me, and were reliable.

4. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the input guys... this is going to be a tough decision.

5. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget to at least play a Metro, Germino or, as was previously mentioned, a Reinhardt before pulling the trigger. These amps are all fantastic; Metro is more true to vintage spec with Germino and Reinhardt adding their own twist, or recipe if you will, to the build. All great Marshallesque amp builders.

6. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Ask yourself:
    - Do do the features of the vintage piece satisfy your needs?
    - Are you a home player/collector or do you gig?
    - Do you really want the real thing - the vintage piece?

I think these are the key questions that determine whether you go vintage Marshall or booteek/replica.

True vintage amp disciples will likely disagree with me, but I believe there are booteek amps out there that sound just like the vintage gear. Some of these amps are replicas, others build on the vintage tone and add other features and flavors (tonally speaking). So, I think you can find just about anything to suit your tastes.

In my experience as a gigging musician, I went with modern booteek gear that still captured what I considered to be a vintage sound. If I wasn't gigging (didn't need the extra features) or was more into collecting, then I would absolutely get a real '78 MV JMP.

7. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?

This is my feeling as well.

I love the tone of Marshalls, but as each one has it's own distinct tone and as each player sounds differently using the same amp as another player, it really gets down to reliability, features, and intended usage.

8. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

I tried a bunch of higher end amps first and ended up with an 800 and JMP.

Went through a boatload of Mesa's, Bogner, Splawn, VHT, modern high gain Marshall, Reissue 800...all the extra features didn't matter because with a simple boost pedal the old Marshall's just sounded better to me.

All I had to do was have them recapped and given a once over, and maybe add an effects loop.

9. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Play a Germino and/or a Reinhardt...........
    Vintage tone with new, boutique reliability!