Marshall Origin 50 combo vs DSL40 combo opinions

handyman11

Gold Supporting Member
Have a chance to pickup either amp, at reasonable prices (300-350) ...

The Origin 50 looks intriguing, I love pedals, and it seems like a great platform, I had a DSL20 which was a good amp, sold it to a friend who really wanted one, but I'm thinking the DSL40 would be a better overall amp..

Currently have a JTM45 clone, 78 Super Bass, and Fargen Olde 800, but looking for an inexpensive combo to bring to our local jam sessions.

Anyone who has played both amps ?

Strat335

In the same boat, trying to decide between the DSL40CR and Origin 50 head w/ 2 x 12. Hope we get some observations.

mlj_gear

Maybe not a problem if you're going to be using it at jam sessions, but if you want to get good-sounding overdrive from the amp itself, the Origin really needs to be quite loud. The character of the drive on the DSL will be different, but it's easier to get better driver tones at lower volumes.

bigtone23

The Origin if you like Marshalls that evoke the 70s era tone. DSL40 for late 80s-present.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
The Origin if you like Marshalls that evoke the 70s era tone. DSL40 for late 80s-present.
That's likely accurate. I don't have and haven't heard the Origin, but I have a DSL40CR and a DSL100HR. They're more modern sounding than the older Marshalls. They're best for a more aggressive hair band kind of sound.

SlyStrat

Silver Supporting Member
To me the Origin has better tone.
With a good MIAB pedal the Origin can sound close to a plexi or JCM800.
Never heard a DSL I liked.

bigtone23

The Origin 50 looks intriguing, I love pedals, and it seems like a great platform, I had a DSL20 which was a good amp, sold it to a friend who really wanted one, but I'm thinking the DSL40 would be a better overall amp..

Currently have a JTM45 clone, 78 Super Bass, and Fargen Olde 800, but looking for an inexpensive combo to bring to our local jam sessions.
The DSL40 is more flexible than the DSL20. The DSL20 is loaded with just the equivalent of the clean and OD2 modes of the DSL40, the DSL40 adds Crunch and OD1 modes to the mix (which are the only 2 modes I use on this type of amp). Plus, the added heft and bandwidth of the 40W output section makes a nice gigging amp. Crunch and OD1 mode is roughly the JCM800 zone.
The origin will get tones closer to the JTM45 and Super Bass side of things. The DSL40 will get a sort-of Olde 800 emulation.

Axis29

To me the Origin has better tone.
With a good MIAB pedal the Origin can sound close to a plexi or JCM800.
Never heard a DSL I liked.
This is me as well. I just don't get along with DSLs. But, I love my Origin 20 Combo. I like the 50's as well. When i bought my OR20C, I needed a small grab and go, that had a way to listen to it silently... The fact that it does more of the JTM45 thing than a JCM800 thing? That was the real driver!

ns2a

I have the 40C. Not sure how different the 40CR is. Only tested them at GC. Anyway, I think you can get pretty good 70s classic rock tones out of it.

bigtone23

I have the 40C. Not sure how different the 40CR is. Only tested them at GC. Anyway, I think you can get pretty good 70s classic rock tones out of it.
For sure, the classic channel is classic rock all day!
The 40CR is mostly just made more convenient for gigging with the switchable masters, ability to use the 6 button JVM footswitch to access all the modes, and slightly tweaked tonalities, especially on the Red channel's gain levels being pulled back a little. Different speaker, too.

I have the DSL50 head. It's certainly of a similar inspiration, but it does sound a little different than the current DSL line. For instance, my Crunch channel sounds thicker and has a better gain range than the current generation. I can dial in my tone with the newer DSL in crunch mode, but I have to nearly dime the gain to do so. Whereas on mine, the gain sits back around 6, and diming it gets me a bit more sustain and compression. Setting my tone on the newer Red OD1 is similar for a gain setting, but I don't care for the thinner EQ tonality of this channel.

JEricB

I’ve own a DSL, and have played on an Origin a bunch. IMHO, the dsl40 can do everything the Origin can, but the Origin can’t do everything the dsl can, not even close. I’ve dialed in the dsl to sound the virtually the same, my band mate who owned the Origin couldn’t tell them apart, through the same cabinet.