Marshall Origin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dean_E, Jan 25, 2018.

1. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

I really like the Code for the MARSHALL tones -- that's the only reason I have it. I tried the Katana head at home, and while it was good, it did not nail the Marshall tones as much as the Code does.

ShreddyKrueger likes this.
  2. Shiells

Shiells Member

I'm might need one of these if I can find a place to put it.

I'm interested in the 20w combo, believe it or not. I think it's a good size with a PA, or even without unless you're playing loud metal, but Origin combos don't strike me as appealing to that sort of player anyway. Nor does it strike me as an amp someone would turn to if they wanted a lot of headroom for jazz or something; it's a Marshall. This line has more of a rock and blues vibe, I think.

What I like about the 20 is that you could put a Celestion Greenback in it really easily, and get even closer to a classic Marshall sound. Albeit a 10" Greenback, but people sometimes gig Princetons nowadays. So, it seems like it would be fine.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Pongo, Figaro and ColonelForbin like this.
  3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

IMO the stock speaker in the 20 definitely needs to be replaced.

4. Shiells

Shiells Member

Sounds like you like that G12N-60.

I read it sounds like a broken in V30. So, I'm wondering what it sounds like once it, in turn, is broken in.

Although, I have no plans change my interest in the 20 just yet. I like the size of it, and I like Greenbacks.

5. Pongo

Pongo Member

I'd be very interested in hearing clips of the Origin 20 with a 10" Greenback. For science.

6. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Had a few minutes to try out an Origin 50 today at GC - I though it sounded pretty good and I was shocked at how quiet it was on the lowest power setting (while still sounding okay) - I had to turn the gain all the way up and the master to 6 to make it audible over the usual background noise there.

7. Shiells

Shiells Member

I can't say I'll buy one very soon, or swap the speakers right away when I buy. I'm trying not to buy any more musical equipment, at least for a while. It's pretty hard though.

I can't imagine a Greenback making anything with a cheaper speaker sound worse, but I'd like to hear it myself anyway.

Pongo likes this.
  8. Pongo

Pongo Member

FWIW, I had a 20C for several days, and found it very limited in application, something I've already moaned about in this thread at length (tl;dr: power scaling terrible compared to the 50, only sounds great when cranked, but not enough headroom for full band rehearsal), but for "that sound," it was really hot. I'd strongly suggest saving up for the 50C, which already has a good (enough) stock 12" speaker, is more versatile, and can be scaled to "bedroom level" volume without sounding like a fizzball.

Just one humble traveler's opinion, but aside from the expensive reissues/HW stuff, the 50 is the best sounding amp made by Marshall right now, and it doesn't even cost a fortune!

Ramblin390 and ColonelForbin like this.
  9. white cloud

white cloud Member

So you are out and out saying the 50 sounds better at lower volumes than the 20? I am not considering the combo just head version and if the 50h does the power scaling better than the 20h don't mind spending a bit more. Still searching for more intel on how to bias the 50 though so far haven't connected the Dots

ColonelForbin likes this.
  10. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

When on their low power setting I think the 50 sounds better than the 20. But they both sound great on their medium and high power setting. If you just play around the house go with the 20. If you play with a band, go with the 50.

11. Pongo

Pongo Member

After using the 20c extensively and the 50c for a couple hours, that's 100% how I feel. Think it's the general consensus, too, though I'm less forgiving of the 20's power scaling than other reviewers have been.

My only concern with the 50 might be that 5 watts (Low setting on the 50) is still more than powerful enough for home-only use... which, while it won't bust up your eardrums, will go past "wake the baby in the next room" volume if you wanna crank the master. Don't wake the baby.

12. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Member

If you don't want to wake the baby then headphones it is...My daughters are grown now and they just leave when I'm jammin"...LOL

13. Rooster72

Rooster72 Member

House player here and I bought the 50h since I had cab to handle it, plus for only $100 more than the 20h and and the power settings allowing me to use low power I figured if I ever wanted to resell for whatever reason it would move faster.
    I love it and actually able to use it on both low and mid power setting. Lots of good advice on here helped me tweak the settings plus it loves pedals!
    Speaker jack update: I seen on my Sweetwater tracker my 3rd 50h is on the truck out for delivery today to my home. Will report later if they got it right this time!

14. TheDropout

TheDropout Member

sweetwater called today and informed me they had fixed the one i returned and will be sending it back out. The guy reassured me he had personally tested it.

15. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

So I have an alternate cab now for my 20C. I did this instead of modding the stock cab because:

1) even though I don’t like the way they sound, I think the old 18W Marshalls (and reissues) are gorgeous.

2) now I have the option of the small, lightweight stock cabinet (with a 10” greenback) or the mini-bluesbreaker style cab with a 12” 55Hz UK greenback.

Thing is a freaking BEAST on high power mode with the 55Hz greenback. Once it breaks in some more I’ll put up some clips.

It’s cool because with a powered screwdriver I can change the amp into the other cab in about 8 minutes.

(Edit: if anybody is considering this, the origin is a perfect fit for an 18W 1x12 cab EXCEPT you’ll need to get the top rear panel that the amp bolts to made 5/8” taller)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    mrfett, stormymondays, AndyC. and 7 others like this.
  16. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Although I'm mostly a Strat and Tele player, the 20h just sounds killer with a Les Paul (running through a closed- back 1x12 with a Private Jack). Rock and roll.

17. Rooster72

Rooster72 Member

Got my 1st 50h back from Sweetwater today. They fixed speaker jack in house, sent me invoice on repair for 1/2 hour labor for $30 which I intend not to pay. Haven’t talked to my rep to see if it was a mistake yet. Has new sticker on back at speaker jacks. Invoice says it was tested before shipping.
    Will check for myself tomorrow.
    Must be a easy fix for those on here who can do it and haven’t sent theirs back!

18. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

It’s an easy fix, when you know how to do it. ;)
    I wish someone could find out the fix and post it.
    $30 charge?!! :p

19. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

After about 10 hours of playing the newly cabbed 20C today, the 55Hz 12” greenback has started to loosen up and... you guys are gonna want this speaker with this amp. Its low end authority REALLY beefs this amp up. Now some of that could be due to the new cabinet, which is bigger and made of Baltic birch. But I’m guessing the majority of this is the 55Hz greenback.

It sounds bigger than a stock 50C now. The 50C just beats it on total max volume. But the more efficient 55Hz greenback (100dB vs 98dB for the 12” V type) and more solid cab closed that gap quite a bit. But the feel of the tone is just huge. It’s really quite hard to believe this sound is coming from a single 12” open back cabinet.

And the cleans have become a bit more fenderesque. They’ve got a nice weight to them, but with great definition and sparkle. And much bigger, fuller 3D dispersal. Throw some reverb in the loop and you’ve got quite the clean machine.

Crunch is fantastic. Low end power without getting flabby. Fantastic definition and that satisfying growl. The lack of sag for a crunch tone is great.

The pure “everything on 10, plus a Tumnus above unity gain” saturation tone was awesome fun, though not quite as good as the crunch and cleans. A tiny bit too much 12AX7 harsh that way. A boost in the loop and lowering the gain might do that tone better, hitting the power tubes harder. I’ll experiment more with this, it’s not something I use a ton, so I haven’t spent a whole lot of time there since the cab upgrade. But for now I’ll leave the heavy saturation tone to the Friedman BE-OD and/or Wampler Euphoria rather than turning everything up to 10 on the Origin. The complete lack of sag these amps have probably limits it here, but again, more trial and error with settings will be used.

With a bit of adjusting it took my Tele, strat, SG, P90 goldtop and 335 all equally well. Everything from Allmans, to Hendrix, to Freddie King, to Sean Costello, to kossoff, to Blackmore was within reach.

It’s also pretty light, despite being much larger and size and having a larger speaker. The lightweight Baltic birch really helped here. I’ll put them on a scale later this week, but I’d guess this configuration weighs almost the same as the stock 20C. And it’s lighter than the 50C. And it feels *much* more solidly built. It feels like a well made boutique amp now.

This amp has gone from being an amp I really liked for what it was, small and portable with excellent tone, to just a flat out great amp. Period.

I’m hesitant to say this, and I’ll give it a few more days, and most importantly gig with this configuration, but right now I’d be very tempted to say in this configuration it’s on par (though obviously different from) my 69 Super Reverb. It also now cost just as much, since the cab + speaker were about $450 total.

If you’re thinking about a new speaker for your 50C, and have the cash, the 55Hz is a no brainer.

If you’ve got a 20C, the 10” greenback is a fantastic upgrade with no permanent mods needed. And it’s not too pricey ($100). If you want to make the 20C giggable with any band short of The Allman Brothers Band, the 55Hz greenback will do it (though I can’t say for sure if it would be as good in the stock cab).

20. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

Thats soooo freaking cool!!! Love the family shot. Those Teles look awesome. I love White Blondes.