Marshall Origin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dean_E, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

Ok guys, so I think I may pick up either the 20H or the 50C. The thread is uber long, so can someone give me a quick synopsis of what they think about the Origin Series thus far? What issues are they having, and is the 50C worth it?

2. teleman72

teleman72 Member

ok I have had my 50c for a few weeks now rolled some preamp tubes in it ended up with a mullard cv4004 in v1, tung-sol in v2 and sovtek lps in v3. Replaced the speaker with a tone tubby gmc alnico the amp sounds so much more balanced to me. I'm running this in stereo with the dsl 20hr what a great tone they work very well together.

ColonelForbin likes this.
  3. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Likely want more power handling for the 50c? Look at the Creamback variants: G12M65, G12H75, WGS ET65, Alnico Cream, Heritage G12-65, etc.

4. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

The scumback m55 is available in 100w. Awesome speaker.

5. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Ah, yeah, duh. 50 watts into a 30W rated speaker probably not great.

6. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Looks like the Scumback also comes as a 16ohm 65w! Good to know they won't catch on fire too; like they mention the 20w can do....o_O

"The 65w speakers are built with higher temperature nomex voice coils and have a 1 year warranty.
    The 65w speakers do not spark or catch on fire."

7. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

Completely agree on the 55hz Greenback. I've tried several Celestions with my 20H and the 55hz was one of the winners. Especially my Les Paul. I ran the 55hz in a closed back Stagecraft 1x12. I also highly recommend a G12M20 Celestion Heritage in an open back. Totally matches well with a Vintage Stratocaster.

fjrabon and ColonelForbin like this.
  8. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Another note: I’ve seen a lot of people complain about how much bass the boost adds. For some reason if you turn the tilt control up high, and then compensate by turning down the treble and presence, this effect is greatly diminished and it mostly adds volume and crunch.

So, with the boost off, this setting sounds nearly identical to having the tilt way down and the treble on 5 and presence on 3-4 like most people tend to set this amp. But, with the boost engaged it doesn’t get wooly like it does with the “normal” settings.

[​IMG]

Try that if you want to use the boost for leads without the wooliness

mrfett, westmike, Beaky and 2 others like this.
  9. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

I guess I'm one of the few that liked the amp boost right away. I had planned to use the amp for overdrives and such but I really don't use them much. And, I'm the world's worst about turning any Marshall into a JVM if I'm not careful. I think at really high volumes it is a perfect compliment to boost what the amp has already. The Origin is the first Marshall I've had in a while that I didn't attempt to gain it up.

Jason Fieldhouse likes this.
  10. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I feel pretty much the same way. What I was talking about is a way to use the boost without changing the tonality drastically. For those who want to use it as a... boost. Rather than a tone shaper.

biff maloy likes this.
  11. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Probably totally fine on the 50 in medium and low power though!

Or go big and put a quad of the 55hz in a 4x12

I am looking forward to getting my new/ replacement 50h from SW; tracking says it will arrive today...

biff maloy, Figaro and Pongo like this.
  12. Beaky

Beaky Member

I like the boost as well with my 20H, in fact I rarely turn it off and just EQ it so it's not too boomy (I run the bass around 2). I play on the low settings as my neighbours wouldn't appreciate it on the other settings. I really like the amp's crunch but have found that a self-built Beano Boost is awesome for hitting the front end and getting some singing tones!

biff maloy and ColonelForbin like this.
  13. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I really like it with a Wampler Euphoria set mostly as a neutral boost, but with just a hint of the smooth clipping and compression.

14. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, though people have always complained that a 55Hz quad is way too boomy in a closed back cab. Maybe not with the origin, IDK. I can say it’s fantastic for compensating for bass leak in an open back cab though.

15. atomheart411

atomheart411 Member

I thought I was ready to pull the trigger only to find that SW has them listed as out of stock. I wonder is it because their moving like hot cakes or because of the problems they've been having with it. I hope the Colonel's new 50h is perfect out of the box.

16. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

My replacement 50h arrived today. Has the new sticker on speaker jack area; leading me to think repaired by SW.

Won't be able to test for a few days; but guessing positive results based on the new sticker and extra review process it went thru....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

epauley, WienerDog, Beaky and 2 others like this.
  17. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Finally! Congratulations!

epauley and ColonelForbin like this.
  18. TheDropout

TheDropout Member

Mine should be here tomorrow. Will report back after I test it.

19. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

I got new cab GAS just before they let me know the 50h was shipping; so have another Friedman 1x12 open back cab inbound for tomorrow. And it's looking potentially that I will have house to myself tomorrow night..

Be making some money doing sound for my buddies band Saturday night so far shaping up to be a most excellent weekend!

Trick Fall likes this.
  20. Jason Fieldhouse

Jason Fieldhouse Member

Little update from me....... I got yet another email from Dawsons Music..... Another setback, mine isn't going to arrive until 22nd of August now..... Peeved me to the core that. Well expected it Tues just gone, then I got that email.

So annoyed and frustrated I was I thought 'bugger this, lets see what else I can get, there's some Bassbreakers for sale locally for cheaper, a BB15 for £300, happy days.....'. So into full research mode, browser awash with no less than 27 tabs, tons of youtube reviews and comparisons, blogs, TGP, Harmony Central, TDPRI, Seymour Duncan pages all open. Asking friends, friends that have played em, that recommended them to me a couple years ago, friends that were raving about them.

And d'ya know what thoughts I came away with?

I think I'm gonna stick to the Origin 20....

Here's my thoughts:

- For a proper Marshall JTM45/Plexi tone, the real deal, it's a toss up between the BB45, ORI50 and JTM45.
    - All amazingly similar, pretty much identical, when cranked and crunchy.
    - Neither the BB or ORI get anywhere the cleans of the JTM though, that is just beautiful and open, full frequency with highlights in all the right places, both close, but no cigar.
    - That said, they are equally different in different ways, on the cleans the BB is darker, ORI is brighter.
    - All 3 are big, heavy, bulky, and far far too loud FWIW! Though both BB and ORI have attenuation, only the ORIGIN has a DI out and silent running.

- ORI20 and BB15 are the lower watt versions, smaller and lighter, not really quieter, but the ORI has attenuation, and both now have the DI out and silent running. Level playing field (well, except for the attenuator).
    - Not a million miles apart from each other tone wise, both great with crunch, both cleans equally darker and brighter as per the 45 + 50 watters.
    - BB is more compressed and squashy, ORI is more open sounding and sensitive.

Ori20 is gonna be another month, BB15 is £100 cheaper and very similar..... BUT, is it about the money, or is it the tone! Is it about features and versatility, or is it about.... well, tone again?

I dunno.... FWIW the Origin series are sounding great, the BassBreaker is a lot more versatile, but just doesn't sound as good to me, I want to like it, but it sounds too muffled, but then people say 'oh but the Origin sounds too shrill!' depends on what you need it to do.
    I think I can easily tame the top end of the origin, but if it's not there in the bassbreaker, you can't bring out what's not there.

+ bonus points for the ORI been EL34s compared to the BB with EL84s.... EL34's are Plexi valves, and it sure sounds more like it cranked!

What do we all reckon? I'm gonna wait till the 22nd of August, then I go on a cruise on the 26th, so probably won't get to play it anyway for a week. Bummer! :-(

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018