Marshall Origin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dean_E, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Beaky

Beaky Member

Marshall do know of the defect as they have had my Origin 20H back and they fixed it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 6:35 AM
    ColonelForbin likes this.
  2. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Sliding date again...

"Available Tomorrow (July 13)"

3. Etosser

Etosser Member

Has anyone heard more about the issues with the burned boards in the combos? I had a 50c on my shortlist, but...:(

4. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Unless there's a way that they log common issues and are able to group and aggregate them together to raise visibility, I wouldn't expect a company the size of sweetwater to get their act together. Each return is probably treated in isolation. You'd need the same tech probably seeing the same issue across a number of amps before someone would even notice.

5. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Sweetwater has problems. That's readily apparent. So does Marshall. Buyer Beware.

This thread is beginning to read like an never-ending soap opera where confusion collides with mayhem and then sizzles on the hot sands of contempt.

Hey Marshall and Sweetwater, are you out there? Do you care. You're making customers think twice about purchasing your product and using your services.

6. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I was going to buy one of these but not now. I'll purchase something else.

7. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

The company should have a communication vehicle that disseminates these issues so that everyone in the organization understands what's going on. Sweetwater lives with Fred, Barney, Wilma, and Betty back in the Stone-age.

8. morgan918

morgan918 Member

I'm saying they'd have to recognize there is a larger issue in order to disseminate it to their employees. That's not an easy thing in a larger company. I'm not excusing it, I'm just saying I'm not surprised.

biff maloy likes this.
  9. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

So what's justifying the "corporate think" behind the handling of this?

Does Marshall, Inc. hope *most* customers will never need to use more than a single cabinet, and therefore never discover the issue, and therefore they don't have to eat the cost of shipping every unit back for a fix? It makes sense (Marshall suits/ties) that if they handle the fixes on a case-by-case basis, then that cost goes way down. Even considering the number of Marshall consumers that are aware of the issue via forums, etc., the actual percentage of those requesting/needing a fix versus those with no clue is probably small.

And Sweetwater doesn't want to eat return shipping costs either, but is having to on the returns they are seeing. And perhaps without Marshall officially addressing this and issuing a recall —knowing of the issue and officially addressing it are very different things— Sweetwater probably has to eat its own returns costs (for now). So again, it makes sense (Sweetwater suits/ties) to keep moving their inventory hoping that the majority will be shipped to blissfully unaware customers.

10. Jason Fieldhouse

Jason Fieldhouse Member

Not a peep.... I'll have another scout around over on the Marshall forum after tea, but I can't understand it, the power valves are no where near the pcb..... it can't have happen how the guy, or his tech have said.... the only way is running the bias too hot it seems! It's a weird one that Is!

11. Jason Fieldhouse

Jason Fieldhouse Member

Honestly I think it's a non issue, I can't work out how he's done it.....

12. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

It appears perhaps today after all?

'In Stock!
    Available for immediate delivery!"

gearscrubs likes this.
  13. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

14. GilmourD

GilmourD Member

15. Jason Fieldhouse

Jason Fieldhouse Member

It's believed the actual jack sockets themselves are to blame, as they could be 'switching' jack sockets, meaning that the second you plug into one, the other is disconnected from the circuit where they are wired together...... They're on a pcb board, so the copper track is already layed out to connect them, though I personally reckon you could scratch a break into that connection and bypass it with a wire connection...... Not stopping the jack from switching, but forcing it to switch to where you want it to?.... Though I haven't delved into how switching sockets operate, so I still don't know where to make the connection with the wire....... Am I mad? Does that seem plausible? Or am I spouting Bovine Rectal Vomit?

16. Snowdogyyz

Snowdogyyz Member

Isolated incident I think. He’s the only one and he disappeared after he reported it (at least I haven’t seen any posts from him).

17. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

All this talk of simple wiring problems does not instill faith in Marshall’s testing and quality control. This should have been very easy to spot. It’s a real shame. I can tell you it will be a year or more before I own one of these amps. Let it shake out any other design flaws that are lurking about.

sjruvolo likes this.
  18. GilmourD

GilmourD Member

I've seen switching jacks used in non-switching functions. In the case of that circuit board, you'd just need to score the trace to disconnect the switch from the circuit or add a jumper, depending on how the switching jack was wired.

19. TheDropout

TheDropout Member

i sent back the 2nd amp they shipped me today. Has anyone just told sweetwater to hold off on shipping them an amp until we know working amps are being sent out? I dont want to deal with the hassle of going to the fedex store every week.

ColonelForbin likes this.
  20. Figaro

Figaro Member

biff maloy likes this.