Marshall Origin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dean_E, Jan 25, 2018.

1. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

I went with the BB15. It has overtaken my Friedman PT20 as my main amp for home playing. I solved the muffled thing by getting the head and using a 1x12 loaded with a Celestion V 30. Instantly removed that slightly muffled blanket and opened up the tone. Goes all the way from Jazz to blues to 70s and 80s rock. Takes pedals great (I have a pretty extensive board that I'm running through it). FX loop can be temperamental with certain pedals and power supplies (out of the 20+ pedals I've tried only two didn't gel -- probably due to power supply issues more than anything at my end). Over all I think it's a great amp. It's as close to JTM45/early plexi sounds as I can get with the space that I have available at the minute (i.e. a 100w head over a 4x12 just isn't going to work in my studio loft).

2. Jason Fieldhouse

Jason Fieldhouse Member

Figaro likes this.
  3. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

I'm here strictly in a 'bad advice' capacity, and I say Friedman Runt 20! You know; for while ya wait it out for Origin..

https://www.andertons.co.uk/friedman-runt-20-2-channel-20w-1x12-combo-amp

"2 In Stock"...

Jason Fieldhouse likes this.
  4. TheDropout

TheDropout Member

tested the repaired head sweetwater sent me, it works. But my original broken amp that i have to send back has kinda bonded with me, I dont want to send it back. I have an orange micro terror sitting around, you think theyd notice?

Figaro and ColonelForbin like this.
  5. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Swap the tubes between the two to find the best ones.

6. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Two cabs ; new head is all good to go! Put some proper feet on the head too; much better..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrfett, Ilduce, Guitar Rod and 5 others like this.
  7. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

^^^^
    Very nice!

ColonelForbin likes this.
  8. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

What are the speakers in those Friedman cabs?. I didn't want to go back through all the pages to see if you said.
    Al

10. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Celestion Creamback G12M-65
    Really liking how they sound!

11. Beaky

Beaky Member

Looks a killer rig! But the key question: can you run two cabs now? ;)

12. Implar

Implar Member

I've been living in an apartment for years now and I've been playing through software modellers and now a Kemper. I've recently moved and can finally have something that makes some noise ;)

Problem is...I really don't know what to get. I mainly play some high gain stuff (old Metallica, Black Sabbath, …) but I like to jam on some bluesy stuff too. The clean/crunch tones sound really nice. Now I'm wondering if I should just get the Origin and an overdrive/distortion pedal, or get something with more gain on tap like the JVM410. (I don't like the DSL). Other options are something like an Orange Rocker or Victory V30.

I'd need to get a cab too, looking for a 4x12 because I can.

13. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Origin plus a Friedman BE-OD will cover all that.

Figaro, Implar and ColonelForbin like this.
  14. Implar

Implar Member

I actually had the BE-OD in mind when posting. Thanks for the input/confirmation!

fjrabon and ColonelForbin like this.
  15. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Dirty Shirley pedal is pretty awesome too! Also has internal gain range dial like the BE.

Origin also responds well to the Buxom Boost pedal; tested that last night. Lots of eq control and low end shaping; tight knob is very useful.

fjrabon and Implar like this.
  16. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, all the Friedman pedals are great. The BE-OD is probably the best for extending what the Origin can do. The dirty Shirley and buxom boost kind of are like “okay, you like the origin, here’s even more” whereas the BE-OD can take it to a level of gain that the Origin simply can’t do on its own. But it still sounds like a Marshall.

Depends on what he’s after, but since he mentioned everything from blues to Metallica, that’s kind of where the BE-OD would come in handy. As it can pick up where the origin naturally leaves off.

C-4, ColonelForbin and Implar like this.
  17. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Good point in the BE gain range; it definitely goes into territory beyond what the DS does. And BB is really more an EQ boost; pushes harder on what is there; which is another nice feature about Origin; it responds well to external tone shaping.

I had a few minutes to play before work today; plugged in Keeley Caverns into the fx loop: works and sounds great! Nice reverb+delay pedal; classy/classic. Something is wrong with my little board; needs a reset. Might re build to suit Origin better now that it's here. Thinking Timmy needs to be on this board..

fjrabon likes this.
  18. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

Since pedals are in the discussion right now, I highly recommend a Dunlop EP103 Echoplex in front of the Origin. Now my recommendation is based on if you are looking to stay vintage in tone but even if the pedal is off I notice a sweetening of my tone regardless. It seems to goose the amp a little and I'm not using the separate preamp pedal that goes with it although I have that one also. Set the level very low with a couple of subtle repeats. I've auditioned several pedals in front of my 20H and the Echoplex was definitely a keeper for me.

19. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Looks like a sweet pedal! Plus you can add an outboard tap tempo switch; very nice.

biff maloy likes this.
  20. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

I have the tap tempo switch also. It works well with the Echoplex but I don't recommend it in the configuration I'm using it for. Echo before distortion, once you get your levels, time and repeats set it is a set and forget kind of thing. I have mine sounding like a typical Echoplex and an ambience kind of thing. But, if your using all this into a clean amp then that opens up a lot of possibilities with setting your Echos to tempo.