Marshall Origin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dean_E, Jan 25, 2018.

1. cirpo58

cirpo58 Member

Hi, need a little help. I have the 50 head with a Harley Benton G212 Vintage (V30) and it sound great. I use a power attenuator and keep master on 6/7, gain with boost on on 7, and for heavy distortion I push it with tubescreamish pedal. What I cannot achieve is a little volume boost for solos. I tried with MXR microamp and with an EQ boost in the FX loop, but the volume stays the same. Some idea? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Jason Fieldhouse likes this.
  2. Jason Fieldhouse

Jason Fieldhouse Member

I think you've squeezed every bit of volume increase you can get out of it at that point, there's no room left if the gain is up, the volume up, the boost on, it's been pushed further with your TS'ish pedal, then all that is been brought down by the attenuator... I don't think you can ask it to do any more, it's been pushed to its full, which is why it is overdriving, so your only going to get more saturation the more you push....

I would recommend bringing the gain back down, keep the boost on if you want, (just bear in mind that boost is just another pedal circuit in front of the first preamp valve, after the input, so I just think 'how many boost pedals do I need on at once?') I don't think you lose too much gain if you have the volume up at around 7.
    Bring down the volume on the TS to match, might have to increase the gain to compensate, and then try your boost pedal, but with extra treble...

Worth a shot anyway, that's the way I'd be looking at it... try it with the boost off, as your only be putting a boost on a boost... I like the sound of my EHX Soul Food as a treble booster better than the amp boost, which tends to boost low mids (which might sound good in isolation, but it isn't going to cut me through the band)...

lp1987x likes this.
  3. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Member

A guy over at the Marshall forum tried both the 65 and 75 watt Creambacks. He liked the 65 but LOVES the 75 in there.

A couple other people have put Eminence Swamp Things in there and have liked the result.

I’ve had a hard time finding instances of people swapping the speakers in these though.

4. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

Have you tried a Badcat Unleash? I have one as my attenuator but I use it to bring the volume up if needed on my amps. I own the Origin 20H and all of my gigging amps are 20 watt Marshall heads. The Unleash has 2 volumes that can be switched like 2 channels that will give you a true volume boost. Like the previous poster said, where you have the amp set it has run out of room.

lp1987x likes this.
  5. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

This is exactly what I'm doing. Just like chirpo58 is reporting, I had no where to go with my volume. An eq pedal to push the mids helped a little. However, the only way I've been able to really get a lead boost is to use the Bad Cat Unleash. Now I can run the amp hard (master and gain on 8, no boost) and boost solos with the Unleash.

6. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

Unleash has some advantages. Another is placing time based effects post amp in its loop. Has a different flavor and almost studio effect vs in the amp's loop. I used to use the Unleash a lot more and along with placing my echo and reverb in its loop I also had an MXR 10-Band there as well before the effects.

7. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

You're out of Headroom with gain on 6 & above. You can only get a volume boost with the built-in boost or pedals (and humbucker guitars) when the Gain knob is at 3 or below. Based on experience of owning this amp. A boost pedal in the loop still won't work. There's just no more headroom at Gain = 6.

lp1987x likes this.
  8. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

From up close experience of owning this amp. The lowest setting is NOT half a Watt. If it is that would be close to whisper volumes. And it is not 1 W either. The amp is just way too loud. At 5W it is a loud practice amp at home. And I'm saying all of this with the Master Vol always maxed out and using the Gain as a Volume knob and setting it at 3.5.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  9. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

I have the 20H and i agree its still loud for reasonable home use in low power mode. Part of that is the misconception of how loud .3, .5 or whatever tube watts is and the voice of the Origin.

I can say for certainty anything .? is not whisper volume with the amp in its sweet spot. I have all the 50th Anniversary Marshalls that go down to .1 watt. With a baseline being through a 1x12, even a 1x10, amp in .1 low power mode ain't no baby going to sleep, momma is going to have her tv show more than likely disturbed and the folks in the apartment next door are going to bang on the wall. I don't have to deal with any of that but I'm telling you they are louder than people give them credit for.

I played an outdoor gig once. Big stage and PA. We were fairly loud in the audience using the Anniversary Offset 1 watt Marshall head @ 1 watt into its matching 1x10 cabinet with a Weber Blue Pup alnico miked up. I had the volume around 11 o'clock so it was just breaking up using a small pedalboard. Guy on Roland drums so stage volume was not an issue. I was skeptical going into this but the little rig just killed. I had a huge smile on the opener when I hit my first notes and felt the stage vibrate. I've done this several times with the 50ths. Low low wattage has a place.

10. Jason Fieldhouse

Jason Fieldhouse Member

Yeah, honestly, I have a 2 watt amp I can gig with.

.1 watt is about as close to bedroom level as you can get, but it's still gonna be enough compete with a tv...

The way I think of it is:
    To the power of ten,
    - 0.1w is half the volume of 1w, 1w is half the volume of 10w, 10w is half the volume of 100w
    - 0.5w is half the volume of 5w, 5w is half the volume of 50w.... I've not heard a 500w guitar amp.... But I imagine the 'law of diminishing returns' may apply here!
    Not an exact science, but roughly speaking, volume and wattage don't work in a linear manner, and it's all circuit dependent too.....

11. Jason Fieldhouse

Jason Fieldhouse Member

Also, to my ears there is a big drop in volume when I go from mid to low settings....

white cloud likes this.
  12. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

I still dig this amp quite a bit regardless. Yeah it is loud, but I have an HX Stomp for home use and I get pretty good use out of that for most late night jamming. On the lowest setting, I can get quiet drive, but it just doesn't sound good without the master cranked a bit. It's fizzy and harsh otherwise. But, I got to crank it the other night and it was FUN. I like this little amp with the vertical 2x12 cab.

13. white cloud

white cloud Member

My late night jamming with the Origin is going into a Suhr reactive load/IR's so the latter is the only digital part of the equation, not that modeling is Bad as I also have an Eleven Rack :)

Shades of Blue likes this.
  14. baseballhack

baseballhack Member

First time posting after getting back into guitar playing after a long break. Love my Origin 50C. Did some preamp tube rolling last night with just what I had on hand. I put a NOS Mullard 12AT7 in the PI, really like the tone even if it is a lower gain tube. Well today I have some tube rattle that is annoying the hell out of me. Thought I isolated it and replaced the tube but it just moved, and now rattles at a different frequency. Ordered some Tungsol and JJ ECC803's for the pre. But now I want a spare set of power tubes. What's everyones recommendations?

15. fancychords

fancychords Member

When I got my 50c which I love after running it about 10 minutes it had a tube rattle it was the middle preamp tube I replaced it and the rattle was gone. I’ve since installed jj ecc83 gold tip tubes and jj el 34ll it runs and sounds great. I didn’t bias it cause I don’t know how and no nearby tech.

16. stormymondays

stormymondays Member

baseballhack likes this.
  17. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

I'll be posting this in the classifieds later, once I get some pics posted, but I just received a warranty replacement of one of my Origin 20H's. It's still brand new, in the box. I didn't even take the tape off of it yet. Since I already have another 20H, I'd be interested in trading it for a 20C. Any takers?

18. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Member

How would you get a warranty replacement for something still in the box?

19. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

I finally played this thing live over the weekend, what a hoot.
    50c on 10w setting; it kept up just fine and made all the right noises.
    No mics for amps at a small type place where we played, but when your only experience thus far was the practice spot, the studio, it was great to see how this thing played and felt in a room with some bodies in it.
    Money well spent at this point in my ownership.

fancychords, Axis29 and white cloud like this.
  20. baseballhack

baseballhack Member

I hope someone can help me before I give up on this amp. I am having tube rattle in my 50C and its driving me nuts. I installed eurotubes tube dampers. Which cut down the rattle noticeably. But there is still some rattle there. If I put very little pressure on V1 and V2 the rattle goes away. I have swapped all the tubes so I don't believe that's the problem. Can anyone recommend some tube retainers that might solve my rattle? I'm sure that any retainer I would have to drill holes in the chassis to mount which concerns me as I am still in the 45 day window for a return.