Marshall Origin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dean_E, Jan 25, 2018.

1. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

I'd return it. If you like the amp then get the head.

I always recommend the head over the combo on most any amp that has both options for the exact reasons of the issue you are having. Most combos don't give a lick of issues but every now and then one does. A head keeps the electronics away from the pounding volume.

baseballhack likes this.
  2. fancychords

fancychords Member

Sorry I can’t help I know that frustrating when I got my 50c v2 was the culprit. It could another set of bad tubes.

3. Jarry Dee

Jarry Dee Supporting Member

I just got the 20watt head, and I LOVE the sound, problem is.. I have to crank it loud to get any kind of breakup, the master and the gain, which is fine when I am recording, but kind of not cool when just noodling around. My question is, will different tubes help it break up earlier? If not, I can just use a dirt pedal, but would be cool if a simple tube swap would do it.

4. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

No, not like you're hoping.

The amp already has a 0.5w Low Power mode. Is that not low enough power output?

Jason Fieldhouse likes this.
  5. Jarry Dee

I may be nuts, but to me going down in power changes the sound. I like it on the 20w best. I can live with it, was just checking to see if there was an easy way to make it break up easier. I used my Tube screamer on it and thought it sounded like crap. I really just want the tube break up... I can live with it, just thought I would ask.

6. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

There are no triodes higher-gain than a 12AX7 that you can plug into the preamp. And you can't use different output tubes in the power section without modifying it into a different amp. So if the onboard power switch doesn't do it for you, it's a choice between volume or pedals (or attenuator). :dunno

7. Jarry Dee

Yup, I will have to deal with it! I put the cab in another room for recording, so that is no problem. I can live with the lower settings for just messing around I guess! thank you for your knowledge!

8. baseballhack

baseballhack Member

Biff Maloy, I decided to do just that. But went with the 20H instead. Went with the 50C only for the fact that it has a 12" speaker. Since changing to the head and I only play at home I figure I don't need the 50 watts. Thanks for the input.

I'd return it. If you like the amp then get the head.

I always recommend the head over the combo on most any amp that has both options for the exact reasons of the issue you are having. Most combos don't give a lick of issues but every now and then one does. A head keeps the electronics away from the pounding volume.

biff maloy likes this.
  9. Jason Fieldhouse

Jason Fieldhouse Member

I'm not really considering it for me, as I'm ok with it on medium for band practice and use it on high/20w for gigs... But, I think that these amps provide a brilliant opportunity for people to get into modding there amps, and to start doing all the things they used to do to them back in the golden age of modded plexis.... things like cascading the gain, PPIMV, clipping bright caps, changing caps and resistors, and customizing your amp to what you want...

Actually, I may think about trying to see if I can get a switchable normal/cascaded V1a and V1b, or V1 to V2 mod done...

Maybe the PPIMV sometime in the future...

I'd like to be able to switch the emulated out on or off...

10. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

Tubes won't add much gain. I had the best luck using an attenuator. The THD Hotplate sounds great with this amp, but I ended up using a Bad Cat Unleash because it had a second, footswitchable volume control on it that allowed me to have a lead boost when playing live. The amp definitely sounds the best in 20w mode with both volume and gain at 8 or above.

Jarry Dee likes this.
  11. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

I've actually fallen quite fond of my Origin 20 in the past couple of weeks. So much so, that I am starting to regret my Two Rock Studio Signature pre-order. I need to do some soul searching while I blast away on my Origin and LP. Decisions, decisions!

westmike, lp1987x and Axis29 like this.
  12. Jarry Dee

I was thinking about an attenuator. I have to decide if I want to send this amp back, or spend more money on the power soak. I really like the sound. I only will use it for recording. I guess I need to see what it sounds like mic'ed up, with the cab in another room, cranked.

13. Jarry Dee

Can you guid me to some instructions on how to do these mods? I appreciate it!

14. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

What mods are you referring to? No mods on the amp. The Unleash comes with an effects loop and two, footswitchable volume controls stock.

15. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

For noodling, i just knock it down to lowest power, turn up the gain (and presence and tilt and treble for extra sizzle) - and if i want extra i put a Klon or EP Booster in front (which does color the tone) . Unfortunately, i don't think there is any way to get the cranked marshall sound without a cranked marshall.

For bedroom level gain, i have a Friedman Runt which has a fantastic master volume. I've had the two battling it out for the past month, trying to decide if i could sell one. But the marshall is just so rock in roll, and to me, the lower gain makes me learn to play better.

You could go for some hotter pickups.

tochiro and Jarry Dee like this.
  16. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

Just stick an Electro Harmonix Soul Food in front.

No, it's not the same as the amp cranked at 20 watts but I can get mine damn close. I have the 20H and this works for me.

tochiro likes this.
  17. Jarry Dee

Ya, it gets dirty easy with HB's, and I do not mind having it loud to record. I may have to send her back and try the DSL. I do not want to have to use pedals for dirt.

18. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

I hear ya. Lotta guys seem to prefer the DSL for that very reason.

Jarry Dee likes this.
  19. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I see a lot of comparisons between the DSL and Origin amps. Personally, I prefer the tone of the Origin amps. They are 'older sounding' to me.

It really makes a difference about what you are looking for tone-wise. To me the Origin sounds like a JTM45 or very early Plexi. This is the sound of my youth, and what I want out of a Marshall. The DSLs sound more like JCM amps. That's not really my cup of tea.

Bodhisattva and tochiro like this.
  20. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

I'm sure you've seen this, but if not.. I don't think anyone does Marshall comparisons better than Johan