Marshall Origin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dean_E, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Jarry Dee

Jarry Dee Supporting Member

Thank you, Don't know how I missed this one. I usually watch every video made about a product before I pull the trigger.. Thanks again!

2. Jarry Dee

Jarry Dee Supporting Member

I prefer the Origin on every example in this video. Tube rattle and all..haha good thing I got the head. Thanks again for the video

3. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Just got an HX Stomp and overhauled my Friedman board to run stereo with my dual Origin 50h + 1960a cab rig.

Un frigging believable how good the HX effects in stereo sounds through the Origin rig... I have the full Helix at home; this one was demo model bday gift to myself. Small light and can add some more switches to give more control..

The modulations, delays and reverbs are amazing in stereo..

I spent hours yesterday working on the board; from blank to this while my buddy worked on new material and did looper jams with the HX stomp direct to PA.

For comparisons; have also run Strymon DIG and Blue Sky with Origin; as well as Nemesis-Ventris and the SA Lunar phaser.

For being a single DSP and can run 6 fx at once; it's a perfect pairing with Origin for me..

Cheers!

[​IMG]

tochiro likes this.
  4. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Regarding HX Stomp in Origin loop; the HX has an input noise gate; very transparent; and has a master volume which is like adding an additional attenuator fine tuning dial. Plus if you add a compression effect at the start of the fx loop; you can really interact with the power amp a little different.

Just got this thing; total honeymoon day two type review. Filter enthusiasm accordingly!

5. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

That damn <Buy Now> button :FM

Jason Fieldhouse likes this.
  6. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

My Origin 50h will see action at some outdoor gigs coming up.Love It!

7. A.K.

A.K. Member

What EL34 would be better: Electroharmonix, Tungsol or JJ?

8. RooRoo

RooRoo Member

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind but I too have an origin 20c and have had it for a few months. Bought it from Sweetwater and have never tried to connect an extension speaker until I got on this thread and low and behold, I have the same jack problem. Zach at sweetwater is my rep. But I haven't talked to him yet. I already know sw doesn't have to do anything but tell me to contact Marshall but I'm hoping because I do a lot of business with them and this is not a normal issue that they might be nice about it and fix it for me. LOL I doubt it but it's worth a try. I like the amp so I'm prepared to fix it myself if I have to but I would rather Marshall do the right thing. The other problem is that I've taken the 10" speaker out and replaced it with a 12"uk made greenback and changed a bunch of tubes around and it sounds great so I will probably just run me a jack parallel from the speaker in the amp and plug my Marshall UK made creamback extension speaker into that, plug my amp speaker into the 8 ohm jack and be done with it as I have voided any warranty. I still think Marshall should fix it but I'm not gonna go through all their hoops. Sweetwater is pretty good about this kind of stuff but it's over and beyond them to have to mess with it. I'll just hope for the best and if I get lucky and they say they will send me a new one I'll just have to put it back to its original form and send it back cause I ain't turning that offer down. Oh, and by the way, I talked to Marshall awhile ago before I knew about the jack thing and they told me v2 wasn't a cathode follower, that's what I contacted them about and I forget exactly what they said v2 did do exactly but they definitely said it wasn't a cathode follower. Just thought I would pass that along. I think it's something to do with the tone stack even though it is a single channel it has the boost function. Then again it could have something to do with the effects loop. Sorry, I'm getting old and it's been a while since I talked to him but all I know is, it's not a cathode follower. Good luck guys.

9. RooRoo

RooRoo Member

Tungsol el34b's sound pretty good but I'm fixing to try some gen genalex Gold lion kt77's just for something different. I using a balanced genalex 12ax7 with gold pins in the phase inverter position and it sounds great. It's the same design as the sovtek12ax7lps but better. Try it, I guarantee you will like it. Tungsol 12ax7 gold pins in v1 and I can't remember what I have in v2 but it doesn't really matter because v2 isn't a cathode follower according to Marshall, I personally heard that from the guy at Marshall and I haven't had a problem with it. Sounds good. Right now I'm using mullard el34's in the power section but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go back to tungsol or gold lion kt77's, I don't know, it sounds good like it is. Believe me, I've had just about everything there is in it including the Russian double getter grove tubes, el34m and they were the 4 ratings. So far I really think the tungsol el34b's sound the best. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. I've been playing for over 50 years. Like I said in my earlier post, I've changed my 10" speaker, it's a 20 watt combo, and I put a UK made 12" celestion greenback in it and it sounds about as good as your gonna get the combo to sound. I haven't had any problems with tube rattle yet but if I do there's fixes for that. Good luck.

10. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Marshall didn't put me through any real inconvenience (other than taking a little bit of time to send out the repair 'kit'). My local Marshall service guy did the repair in a few minutes and had it ready for me to pick up the afternoon he got the kit from Marshall.

Looks like it was just a simple jumper wire about a half inch long.

RooRoo likes this.
  11. RooRoo

RooRoo Member

I appreciate that information. I would be happy just to get the kit or find out exactly what it is, I can solder. My problem is that I live in the boondocks in Florida and the closest Marshall repair to me is about 50miles. They won't even talk to you about you fixing it yourself unless you're a certified Marshall technician but it sounds like an easy fix. Good to know it's not anything to do with the tranny's or anything major. I have a 50 watt vox night train that has the same kind of jack arrangement but it works the way it's designed, also made in Vietnam. Thinking about taking both of them apart and comparing them and maybe I'll get lucky and it'll stick out like a sore thumb. I really appreciate the information, it eases my mind knowing it's just a jumper wire of sort. Thanks

Axis29 likes this.
  12. RooRoo

RooRoo Member

Well, I thought I would let you guys know that it is a very easy fix if you can solder and it's only 2 solder joints. If you go on the Marshall forum for origin amps it's on page 38. I forget the guys name but he posted the fix on there and it looks like it's been on there since 2018 so I don't know what all the fuss is about but anyway it's just a freaking jumper wire about an inch long and it's super easy. I fixed mine and it works like it's supposed to. Now I'm gonna call Zach at sweetwater and see if he can send me the decal and it will be like down town. Thanks for the help axis29, I certainly appreciate the help.

Jason Fieldhouse and Axis29 like this.
  13. RooRoo

RooRoo Member

Thought I would let you know that I tried the gold lion kt77's and to my ears they sound like hockey. I think I will put the tungsol el34b's in and if I don't like them i'll put the mullard back in cause I know they sound alright. Happy hunting.

Jason Fieldhouse likes this.
  14. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Any time my friend!

RooRoo and Jason Fieldhouse like this.
  15. RooRoo

RooRoo Member

Well I did some serious tube rolling and wound up sticking the mullard el34's in the power section and mullard cv4004 12ax7 's in v1 and v2 and I put a balanced mullard 12ax7 in v3 for the phase inverter position and it sounds about as good as it gets. Very quiet too. The only other tubes that sound near as good to my ears were tungsol. Didn't try the JJ el34L. I didn't like the JJ el34 that came stock in it so I didn't bother. I think electro-harmonix look like the same tube as a mullard, their all made at the same factory except for the JJ's and the groove tubes. Groove tubes are hand picked Russian and Chinese tubes with the groove tube label on em. Telefunken are now hand picked JJ's that have been cryo'd . If you want anything N.O.S. you're gonna pay big bucks for em but they're out there. I've got as much into speakers and tubes as I paid for the amp.

16. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Tungsol will be more airy in the mids. JJ's I would not recommend. I really like JJ tubes, I'm not a hater or anything but their EL34's have a terrible fail rate. The EHX are pretty good all around but my nod would be the tungsol's. I'm running 16 of them matched right now.

Another great EL34 are the psvane.

The cv4004 12ax7 are great (sometimes higher noise floor though) if you want the poor mans version run the brimiar 12ax7's they are identical.

17. baseballhack

baseballhack Member

Are all the tubes you mentioned current production tubes?