Marshall Origin

Tonycaster

I pop in to say that I've just purchased the 20h and all I can say is: A STEAL! for the price paid (330 euros new) it's a great amp, the perfect pedal platform, not high gain (not what I was looking for though), but with a bunch of good pedals it covers a lot of grounds, from Jimi to EVH. I play with a SSS Strat with Van Zandt Blues pickups (all the same output, about 6,8ohm), and push the front end with an RC booster and a BB preamp MB. The only thing I don't like is the S/R and the boost sections, which tend to mud and cloud everything, but I never liked the S/R concept anymore, since I've discovered the wet/dry thing.
The power reduction feature is great for bedroom players, and the tone remains consistent even at the lowest settings. To the ones saying it's terribly bright, the trick of this amp is to maintain the presence and the treble fairly low (about 9 o'clock) and the Master not less than 3 o'clock, gain to taste (I find it better above half, to be at the edge of breakup), Bass about 2 'o'clock or above, Mid maxed, and play with the tilt control to add brightness. All the classic Marshall tones within the guitar volume pot!
I'll experiment with different tubes as I'll expect it to be even better with a good set of 'em, but, as I said, it's a killer amp, really

Axis29

Supporting Member
Are you sure this is correct? I think the question was for the DI out assuming the cab is not attached.
Damn, you're right... I probably needed more coffee when I responded! Not sure what I was(n't) thinking. Yes, a regular instrument cable will work just fine!

Sorry for any confusion!!!!

redchapterjubilee

Supporting Member
Anyone have a chance to directly compare the 20head and 50 head? I’m trying to decide which one to splurge for. It will mostly be recorded with through an RLIR but I might want to use it live too. Noticing it has to be turned up to get what I’d want out of it and wondering if there’s any real dB difference between the two turnt up to 3 o’clock or higher on the master.

Axis29

Supporting Member
Anyone have a chance to directly compare the 20head and 50 head? I’m trying to decide which one to splurge for. It will mostly be recorded with through an RLIR but I might want to use it live too. Noticing it has to be turned up to get what I’d want out of it and wondering if there’s any real dB difference between the two turnt up to 3 o’clock or higher on the master.
I have not compared the heads... But, when I was looking at them, I tried the combos back to back, same guitar, same cord, same room, yadda, yadda, yadda. I did not have the opportunity to try the D/I outs though.

I found they sounded similar, but the 50 had a little more bass response. But, I also found that the 50 was noticeably louder. Even the lower wattage settings... The mid-level probably had the least difference in volume perception. The lowest wattage setting on the 20 is noticeably thinner in tone than all the other settings on both amps. But, it can be overcome with some EQ knob twisting.

I have the 50W Origin head and I play in a Zepp tribute (so only 1 guitar) and I'm not sure the 20W would be loud enough.

I have owned many amps over the years and the Origin is my all-time favorite. As another user posted is is "the perfect pedal platform".

fjrabon

So I’ve been thinking about some marketing mistakes I think Marshall made with these. Or maybe better stated as some mistakes they made in explaining how they work:

Mistake #1: vaguely labeling them as a “Plexi-like” tone. I think most people think JMP Super Lead when they hear the term “Plexi”. To my ears these are much more JTM flavored. I know they wanted to stay away from hinting at them being any type of reissue. But this move backfired, I think. I think they’d have been better off making it clear they leaned towards the earliest JTM tones and gain levels. Heck, as I’ll hint at later, maybe even said the boost gives it a JMP flavor and boost off gives it a JTM flavor.

Mistake #2: calling it a “boost”. While that *is* what the boost circuit technically does, almost nobody uses it like a boost in the sense of a lead boost. But that’s what Marshall made it sound like it was for. They really should have pushed this feature more as a revoicing of the amp rather than a boost. “Get a bit more gain and a thicker bottom end by engaging the volume knob push pull, this will also cause an increase in volume.” It was really weird to see so many people complain that the amp was too bright but they didn’t like to use the boost because it didn’t keep the same tone. I think a lot of people would have loved the boost feature if they had instead looked at it as a gain voice switch like you find on a Friedman.

Mistake #3: not making it clear that the presence control is neutral on zero. Basically you should start with the presence on zero and then add until you have the amount of clarity you want. I saw so many reviewers put it on noon and then complain about the amp sounding bright and thin.

Tonycaster

So I’ve been thinking about some marketing mistakes I think Marshall made with these. Or maybe better stated as some mistakes they made in explaining how they work:

Mistake #1: vaguely labeling them as a “Plexi-like” tone. I think most people think JMP Super Lead when they hear the term “Plexi”. To my ears these are much more JTM flavored. I know they wanted to stay away from hinting at them being any type of reissue. But this move backfired, I think. I think they’d have been better off making it clear they leaned towards the earliest JTM tones and gain levels. Heck, as I’ll hint at later, maybe even said the boost gives it a JMP flavor and boost off gives it a JTM flavor.

Mistake #2: calling it a “boost”. While that *is* what the boost circuit technically does, almost nobody uses it like a boost in the sense of a lead boost. But that’s what Marshall made it sound like it was for. They really should have pushed this feature more as a revoicing of the amp rather than a boost. “Get a bit more gain and a thicker bottom end by engaging the volume knob push pull, this will also cause an increase in volume.” It was really weird to see so many people complain that the amp was too bright but they didn’t like to use the boost because it didn’t keep the same tone. I think a lot of people would have loved the boost feature if they had instead looked at it as a gain voice switch like you find on a Friedman.

Mistake #3: not making it clear that the presence control is neutral on zero. Basically you should start with the presence on zero and then add until you have the amount of clarity you want. I saw so many reviewers put it on noon and then complain about the amp sounding bright and thin.
I quote everything you said, I have the 20h since 3 days and really enjoying it! I use the boost as part of the tone, and the DI out to send the signal to another amp to do the wet dry config: it has lots of signal but still useable if the wet amp is set super clean. Next step will be a 1x12 cab to make it even more portable and a sort of line out box to send the signal to the wet amp, or avoid using the wet amp and send it directly to the PA

Last edited:

redchapterjubilee

Supporting Member
I have the 50W Origin head and I play in a Zepp tribute (so only 1 guitar) and I'm not sure the 20W would be loud enough.

I have owned many amps over the years and the Origin is my all-time favorite. As another user posted is is "the perfect pedal platform".
Are you using a greenback sort of inefficient cabinet or some flame throwing 100+ dB spl speakers?

MylMoosic

I'm jealous if 20 watts isn't loud enough. I'd love the opportunity to buy the Origin 50 in order to crank it at every gig.

fjrabon

I'm jealous if 20 watts isn't loud enough. I'd love the opportunity to buy the Origin 50 in order to crank it at every gig.
I can count on one hand the number of times I was able to play loud enough to run the 20W wide open. They were all outside. I’d say half the time with the 20W origin for typical pub gigs I was even running it in the middle volume setting, which I think is 5W.

MylMoosic

I can count on one hand the number of times I was able to play loud enough to run the 20W wide open. They were all outside. I’d say half the time with the 20W origin for typical pub gigs I was even running it in the middle volume setting, which I think is 5W.
That's what I'd expect. I tend to run my Fender Supersonic 22 close to 4, which is very near its maximum volume, but max is definitely too much. I'm getting a 50 watt amp soon just for headroom, as I like it when the power amp compresses, but 22 watts of 6v6 power is a bit too saggy at the volumes I play at outdoor venues.

fjrabon

That's what I'd expect. I tend to run my Fender Supersonic 22 close to 4, which is very near its maximum volume, but max is definitely too much. I'm getting a 50 watt amp soon just for headroom, as I like it when the power amp compresses, but 22 watts of 6v6 power is a bit too saggy at the volumes I play at outdoor venues.
One thing about the origins is that even ran wide open, they sag very little. It’s one of the things some people don’t like about them.

Axis29

Supporting Member
I've used the 20 Combo at a few gigs, including one outdoor private party.

Especially for the outdoor gig, I used the D/I Out as sound reinforcement. I got a lot fo compliments on the tone... I liked it. It also helped me to keep stage volume down on a couple of occasions as well.

Zonk

I pop in to say that I've just purchased the 20h and all I can say is: A STEAL! for the price paid (330 euros new) it's a great amp, the perfect pedal platform, not high gain (not what I was looking for though), but with a bunch of good pedals it covers a lot of grounds, from Jimi to EVH. I play with a SSS Strat with Van Zandt Blues pickups (all the same output, about 6,8ohm), and push the front end with an RC booster and a BB preamp MB. The only thing I don't like is the S/R and the boost sections, which tend to mud and cloud everything, but I never liked the S/R concept anymore, since I've discovered the wet/dry thing.
The power reduction feature is great for bedroom players, and the tone remains consistent even at the lowest settings. To the ones saying it's terribly bright, the trick of this amp is to maintain the presence and the treble fairly low (about 9 o'clock) and the Master not less than 3 o'clock, gain to taste (I find it better above half, to be at the edge of breakup), Bass about 2 'o'clock or above, Mid maxed, and play with the tilt control to add brightness. All the classic Marshall tones within the guitar volume pot!
I'll experiment with different tubes as I'll expect it to be even better with a good set of 'em, but, as I said, it's a killer amp, really
I agree, turn the master way up and the gain about high noon and just use presence, treble and the tilt thing enough to make it sound good and not too bright. I haven't used the boost function or the reduced power settings except for a few minutes to try them out.

The 20w head has some volume but it is nowhere near as loud as most 50 watt Marshall's, you can crank it up pretty good without blowing your ears out, unless a person needs to play real quietly.

tochiro

I've had the Origin 20C for more than a year. This amp is a steal! I'd have bought the 20H but there was no dedicated 1 12" speaker cab, which is a pity I think.

redchapterjubilee

Supporting Member
Gotcha. Thank you. The cabinet I would use with this amp is pretty close to that. Most of the time it’s going to ratcheted down and direct through IR but if gig it I’ll need that extra power.

Tonycaster

I've just replaced those terrible JJ power tubes with a pair of russian Svetlanas and a couple of tung sold in V1 and V2 and... OMFG! the amp started crying notes and especially the presence control became more usable, but always below noon. Bass isn't flubby at 10, more volume at full power, slightly less volume at mid power but it really shined with the Svets. Moreover, as stated by Eurotubes as well as some users on the marshall forum, no need for rebiasing as it's a cathode bias amp, what do you want more?!?

Tonycaster

I tried a Sovtek 12ax7LPS in V3 and it's even better, the presence control becomes useful and useable even at extreme settings...