Marshall players....anyone used a treble booster??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riffpowers, Jul 7, 2008.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I was thinking of getting one for my JCM800. I'm playign in a doomy downtuned sabbathy band and thought that might sound good for that kind of stuff.

I've owned a few before, but not tried em with a marshall.
    Anyone tried one with a marshall??Which booster??WHat kind of soun sare you getting??

2. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

http://www.treblebooster.net/ I have only tried one with a Bluesbreaker combo so it doesn't really compare but definitely the original metal science.

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I use a Lovepedal BBB07 with Rangemaster setting with my plexi. Great pedal that gives more bite and snarl.

4. stuagu

stuagu Member

Keeley Katana With My Old Marshall Slash Set Up (clean Channel Wound Up) Sounded The Biz.

5. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Dice Works HS-1 which is modeled after the old Hornby Skewes treble booster used by the British greats. The guy has some incredible clips with it including a great rendition of Smoke on the Water. This pedal is a good deal for ~$100, but it doesn't daisy chain well with other pedals and doesn't like adapters too much!

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I ran a Java boost with my 800 for a while. At lower volumes I didn't care much for it. But at blazing loud volume it was very cool. After much time and effort put into trying different boost out front I came to the conclusion that I liked it best plugged straight in or with a modded SD-1.

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I know the guitarists from Judas Priest used treble boosters with their Marshalls during the 70s. I personally think Marshalls, especially later JMPs, JCM 800s and 900s are great for distorted rhythm tones but they actually really need a treble boost; or a half-cocked wah to get a good lead sound out of them.

8. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

java boost. i use it with a bluesbreaker reissue and sometimes a jcm 900 or the 2 pro jrs. i don't know why it took 35 years for me to buy one. i stack it with my fuzz or use it by itself for medium gain solo stuff. it's like sugar, you don't really need it, it just makes everything taste better.

9. wc8485

wc8485 Member

I use an EQ with my Marshall clone, frown curve. I've been writing alot more in Drop D... Hard rock kinda stuff, hit the EQ to come forward in the mix and make pinch harmonics scream. Main guitar is an LP, kinda dark, so I dig the adjustability of using an EQ vs. a straight boost.

10. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

+1 on the modded SD-1, 800's sound best with them.
    Treble boost's and full range boosters sound best with non master vol. (4 input style) Marshalls.

11. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I use a treble booster with a a marshall 18 watt clone for some sabbath and bluesy rock type stuff. I like it but you really need to let us know your guitar becaus e I find with tthe same settings into my amp a different guitar evem with the same pickups, it sounds differently.

It has been said that Iommi used one with more of a full range setting than atypical treble booster. IN MY OPINION downtuned high gain sounds in the full range of my Toneman DOn butler aznd DAM Red Rooster sound mushy. I prefer to use it the trebl setting on my tone man and tweak with my DAM, which coincidentally is for sale. I WILL NEVER SELL THE TONEMAN!!!!!!! Sorry for the spam. I posted it for sale but deleted the post after no interest. PM me .

12. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I have a Keeley Java Boost that worked extremely well on the Marshall Vintage Modern in Low Dynamic setting on the amp. Great match up for a Bluesbreaker or Plexi. I haven't used it with the JVM.

13. Masa

Masa Member

Funny. That's me playing Smoke on the Water. I helped him to design his HS unit. I also gave him some clips, including Smoke on the Water.

His Orange clone is pretty good, too.

Anyway, you can use treble boosters to push other overdrive pedals, but not treble boosters or fuzz pedals. It's not just Dice Works, but treble boosters in general.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  14. illini

illini Member

Though not a treble booster I do use an RC Booster with an 800.

15. Masa

Masa Member

For JCM800, I think it would sound too bright with the typical Rangemaster clone with .005uf input cap. You should get one with switchable input cap like Dyna Ranger or Java Boost. Or, you can change the cap. For Sabbath, I think .01 ~ .015uf work great. I heard Tony Iommi used .022uf, but that's too high for me (the bass gets too loose.)

16. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

I use an Analog Man Beano Boost (switch at "Mid" position) with a 100 Watt Marshall (Super Bass) head. Although it's a treble booster, it fattens the tone a lot. I don't think it will be way too bright, unless you have an original Dallas Rangemaster, because it doesn't have the switch to choose among "mid/original mode/bass".
    But, one thing you have to consider is that the 800 is a bright amp.

17. samtheman

samtheman Member

One and only, Pedalworx Scot60

[​IMG]

/sam

18. andrekp

andrekp Member

I use a homebuilt Rangemaster clone with my 18 watt clone. They really work well for these type of amps. Add all sorts of juicy harmonics. I suspect they were used in the old days more to actually put treble back - what with long hi-cap cables, etc. Now you can make them for treble or any range of frequencies, and they just add a lot to the tone.

19. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

I like my Homebrew Germania on the red channel of my DSL. A little goes along way though. Otherwise you get this half cocked wah sound on the solos. It would be good for doom/stoner/sabbath me thinks. Its really great on the power chords.

20. blueserv

blueserv Member

I use a Hotcake as a treble booster on my Germino. Works for me!