Marshall Plexi Style Kits

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by wavey63, Feb 4, 2008.

1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I have looked online and have seen some kits that have caught my eye.I want that crunchy type tone with a good deal of gain but not super sturation.I also need to have it at least 50watts or less since I will have a hard time finding time to crank it to 10.I was thing either the TMB 18 watt circuit or the 1987model super lead 50 watt. Is the 18 watt gonna give me what I want or will it be a bit flabby on the bottom end?I was also looking to just buy parts a little at a time as cash flow allow so should I buy the board from Turrets or Ceriatone?Any help would be great!!!:RoCkIn

2. mageerc

mageerc Member

The 18 watt TMB will get plenty of crunch, but you won't have much clean headroom to work with... it's pretty much a one trick pony. A 50 watt Plexi will give you some headroom and plenty of crunch when cranked, but it will be mondo loud!

3. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

Metroamp 50w kit...search youtube for a clip.

4. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

5. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Metroamps makes really great stuff. Install a post PI MV and you are good to go.

6. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I disagree. The 18 does a lot of stuff. You just don't have the volume. They work well in a lot of situations if you are one who uses the guitars volume/tone knobs.

7. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Any opinions on the Weber plexi 50 or ac30 kits? I know the components are not "boutique" but I can live with that.;)

8. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Weber kits are ok,but the transformers don't sound very marshally.Upgrade to Heyboer if you go that route.Same with Ceriatone,but the kits are superior quality.The AC30 the same.A TMB is far more user controlable than cranking a plexi with no master,but is lacking headroom.If you know how to use the volume control on your guitar it can be far more than a one trick pony.

9. hasserl

hasserl Member

Unless they've changed the layout, the plexi kit is a little tricky to build because it's so darn tight to fit all the caps on the board inside the chassis.

I've been intrigued by Weber's Natalie kit and I think that would be the best for what you've described, though it might have the same or similar layout problems as the 6M45P. Take a look at the schematic and it's basically a classic Marshall four input front end into a 4 x 6V6 power section, w/ post PI MV. You could incorporate a half power switch to take two of the 6V6's out of operation to make it even more versatile.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_weber.htm#Natalie

Or, the 6M36 would be another good choice. LOt's of killer grind with that circuit, the added power would allow enough headroom for cleaner playing as well.

10. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Not realy worried too much about headroom. I just have heard that the TMB's can get a bit loose in the bottom end and didn't want that. How hard would it be to add a MV to a plexi kit?

11. hasserl

hasserl Member

Adding an MV is not difficult, you do have to decide which type of MV you want to use, and then you have to figure out where you're going to put the control. Then it's just a matter of sorting out the details.

12. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

My 6m45P sounded good once it was running.. but yeah, damn layout was tight! Its a small box chassis and you need steady hands.. really crowded. Spend a bit more and get a bigger chassis- easier to work in. It eventually failed due to somethign so i rebuilt in using the standard 1987x layout - currently troubleshootign ugly distortion :jo You do get good bang for your buck but its a good idea to upgrade POTS, jacks, and a few other things. but atleast ya get the head cab with it!

13. justonwo

justonwo Member

I agree with this, except that I wouldn't upgrade a Weber kit with better transformers. At that point, you're getting close to the cost of a Metro kit, and that will give you top notch quality on every component. I would get the 50 Watter and an attenuator.

14. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

15. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Is there some sort of description of that Mojo/Roccaforte kit? I just got a pic with no description (not even one word) and when I clicked on the 'forum' link they wanted a registration process and I just wanna read about the product (i.e. I'm not registering for that).

16. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Sez Doug Rocca:

Imagine a JCM800 type of gain/amp,
    but with two preamp controls that are footswitchable.
    The amp has a very throaty midrange, very vintage sounding
    british crunch. Smooth almost vox like in quality.
    This circuit has more gain than a JCM if you adjust the
    preamp trim pot for a hotter preamp bias.
    Amazing sounding amp. __________________

17. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I don;tknow...he Metro is about $1000 while the Weber is about $500. You can buy a lot of iron for $500... And I don't like attenuators. Nothing personal , just have a stubborn personality that refuses to use 'em.I'll ask my shrink about that next time:NUTS:eek::crazy:messedup:puh:)

18. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

For the money the Metro kit is awesome. It isn't the cheapest but I doubt you will hear better. If you can build well it will be one of the best plexi-style amps you will hear.

19. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I know but I am on a budget so I have to try to keep the cost as low as possible.Any donations welcome!!!!:AOK

20. justonwo

justonwo Member

Even that 18 Watter is going to be loud.

It isn't just the iron in the Metro kit that's better. The components, sockets, jacks, switches, lamps, head box - all higher quality.

If you are on a tight budget, however, Weber is the way to go. I'd build the amp with the stock transformers and see how you like them. I thought the transformers in my double Deluxe sounded just fine.

Or you could spend a bit more and go with a Ceriatone. I'd probably put a master volume in if you go the 50 watt route. Good luck.