1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marshall Plexi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by somedude, Jun 4, 2006.

1. somedude

somedude Member

I'm looking at adding a 90s Marshall 100w Super Lead to my collection.

I'm normally not much of a Marshall guy, so I'm wondering what the pros/cons are and the general feeling is towards these amps?

How clean are they? How loud do they have to be before they crunch?

How do they take to V30s?

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

1. They tend to vary a bit.
    2. They are extremely loud at crunch.
    3. The best cleans are on JTM45's.
    4. I wouldn't use V30's with them.

What sort of venues will you be using one at?

Best, Pete.

3. somedude

somedude Member

A mixture of indoor and outdoor....I don't really expect to get it to crunch naturally on it's own (not indoor anyway), but I've been told they take well to dirt and fuzz boxes. I'm kinda looking for something with alot of headroom that'll give an old school punk sort of crunch on chords....I'm not really looking for the JCM800 sort of crunch though.

I can get ahold of one to try on Tuesday....but until then I'm doing my homework. Unfortunatly the JTM45 that was available locally sold about a month ago.....

On a side note, how do the 100w'ers take to having two tubes pulled?

4. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

Your in for a treat when you play this amp for the first time. The key is to jump the two channels together and adjust the vol levels to your ears. I have ch 1 vol @ 9 and ch 2 @ 10 and use the guitar vol knob. The amp reacts really well to guitar vol. I push the front end with either OCD,RC/BB,or Menatone Mrs foxy brown. I do not like V30s but greenbacks sound great.The only con is maybe I should have gone with trhe 1959HW. Great amp.

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I have to disagree with those who say DSL's AND TSL's take pedals well, even the 900's actually,
    I have owned all of the above and got nowhere with them.
    I have been loving my 50w plexi re-issue for over a year now and have found nothing that beats it as yet.
    Takes pedals really well, cleans up very nicely with the right dist/od box,
    breaks up at about 1/2 volume, perfect.

6. somedude

somedude Member

This is what I'm looking at building;

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

7. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I would personally use the plexi for you lead/crunch amp and something different for your clean head, but thats just me.

8. somedude

somedude Member

I'll try that, but my "dirty" tone has a little more gain than your typical "crunch" tone.....the Laney in question is my GH100TI (Iommi), which is a single channel head with five permanantly engaged gain stages. :Devil

But who knows. Maybe my tastes will change and the Plexi will wind up doing clean, crunch, and lead (fuzz).....I try to keep as many doors open as I can. :)

FWIW.....I've arranged to borrow the head tomorrow, so I can audition it at a proper volume.

9. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Are you using a stereo cab? Not trying to insult your intelligence, but 2 heads into one cab without the right tools is a no-no.

10. somedude

somedude Member

Stereo cab.

I thought about using a head switcher of some sort (Tonebone, Axess-Electronics, ect), but I want to be able to run both at once.

11. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

If your Iommi head is 100 watts just be sure the plexi can match its volume.
    I own a 50w and find that alot of the time I could use the 100w, even when using a booster.

12. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

No offense bro, but I'd hate to have to tote all that crap to a gig.:crazy

Whatever makes you rock out!

13. somedude

somedude Member

I also have a Boogie MkIII combo.....with my delay and cables stuffed in the back I can load and unload in one trip.

I'd never do this if it was my only rig.

14. p.snail

p.snail Member

Can you use 2 heads plugged into the same cab? I thought you would have a ground loop issue. Does anyone do this with success? If so that saves me a ton of trouble. I too am looking to do a two amp rig, but If I can run it off the same cab then I'm skatin'.

15. pluto

pluto Member

Here's one solution:

http://tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

16. somedude

somedude Member

If you want to run both amps at the same time you can wire the cab in stereo (essentially two separate 2x12s in one box).

If you want to switch back and forth you'll need some sort of head switcher that'll keep a load on the idle amp...such as the Tonebone Headbone.