Marshall questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mistermikev, Apr 17, 2016.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

Hello,
    just bought this cab. have some question I was hoping to pose to marshall experts.
    1) what is the difference between G12T-75 with the all white label (below) and the black and white label?
    2) see the blue below? it is blue cloth - looks like what you might use to dry your hands... this can't be stock right?
    3) any idea of the value of this cab? The speakers are model "TXXX" so I believe that makes them 1985ish?
    anything else you can tell me would be great.
    cheers,
    mike

EDIT: oh, also... planning to replace the wire with hardwire connections but was wondering what I might use to be able to connect/disconnect to the back? I'm not sure about spade clips... seem a bit dodgy to me... what are you using?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Snicklefritz

Snicklefritz Member

1. The speakers pictured are older than the ones with the black & white label I believe you are referencing. These get trashed on tgp but a well broken in set of g12t75 is certainly a fine and usable speaker.

2. Some 800 cabs used a dye on the cloth which faded to brown after some time. It is possible that the cloth is faded on yours too & used to be black. A peek at the back of the cloth through a speaker hole with a flashlight will tell you if it has faded.

3. I've sold several similar mid 80s jcm 800 cabs for between 4 - 500 with the same speakers. Run of the mill cabs are a tough sell these days.

There will be a 3 digit code on the frame of the speakers which is the code you will use to date them, not the Txxxx number. Googling celestion speaker date codes will help find the right resource.

aynirar27 likes this.
  3. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

thank you snicklefritz. I hear you on the trash. they are exactly what everyone says: tons of lows, almost zero mids, lots of highs.
    I have some black/white mixed with greenbacks that I love... but these white labels seem to need to be cranked to sound similar so I wonder about differences.
    so the cloth is used freq in marshall cabs, huh. was thinking of replacing for speaker grommets - glad I asked.
    I've got $250 in it so I guess I didn't do too bad... always wanted red tolex so I'm happy either way.

4. notthedocter27

notthedocter27 Member

The grill cloth looks stock-just faded...the blue you are seeing over the speaker --- That is not stock-should be easy enough to remove...$250 is what I have paid for the last two 1960's I have bought...one with Made in England 75's, on with the China made...both in decent shape...
    Enjoy your new cab...

5. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

sweet cab! G12t75 is a garbage speaker for me. They will fully neuter your midrange. Some people like it though.

Salsg likes this.
  6. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Those are not the T75's everyone hates those older original 75's are much closer to 65's with more top end. They sound more like Greenbacks but without the speaker break up/compression. The even older vented backs are better..

You need to unscrew those speakers and get whatever that blue cloth is out of there, no idea why its there but it should not be there.

7. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Properly tensioned spade connectors are fine. Since I am a speaker swapper it works better than the direct solder method. I do solder the wire to the spades. I run the back plate wire long enough to 'pop' the back off to get to the connectors.

I suspect the blue cloth is in front of the drivers in an attempt to darken or tame the highs on the speakers.

Enjoy your new cab!

Russ