Marshall recommendation JCM900/2000/.. turned NAD

Hugo123

Gold Supporting Member
Recently I bought a Origin 20 which confirmed for me I'm looking for a Marshall type amp. The problem with the Origin for me was that it needed to be cranked to get gain which was too loud for home use (I used it with a jettenuator type attenuator which changed both the feel and reduced the highs too much for me). I then sold the origin and got a Victory Sheriff 22 hoping I could use it for more classic Marshall sounds and use the second channel for more JCM type tones. I used the Sheriff with an EVM12L, alnico blues and mesa C90. I'm quite pleased with the Sheriff as it has a very nice master, especially for clean and crunch sounds but I feel it is a bit dark and is more vintage voiced. Since I already have an AC30 and a Lone Star for the vintage inspired and low gain duties, I'm looking for a Marshall to cover ACDC like crunch to higher gain. I find the Sheriff to be lacking for more high gain as it is not cutting and tight enough. I will mainly be using it for classic rock rock riffs to something like Rise Against or to relive my 00's pop punk days. I would like to stay around 600-700 euros. I require a good MV, a loop and preferably reverb.

I think for what I'm looking for a second hand Marshall JCM 2000 DSL50 could be a good fit, or maybe a JCM900? My first thought was the Marshall SC20, but I would prefer to get most tones out of the amp alone without having to use a boost (also multiple channels to switch between crunch and high gain would be great!). Bit above budget but I've also wondered about the mini rectifier. Also, how do these amps compare to the current lower wattage DSLs, especially the DSL20H. Does anyone have experience with these amps, and also how they perform at lower volumes as I will mostly be using it at home.

Last edited:

Blue Lizard

My first thought was the Marshall SC20, but I would prefer to get most tones out of the amp alone without having to use a boost (also multiple channels to switch between crunch and high gain would be great!)...

Have you had a look at the mini Jubilee (2525H)? It was Marshall's own response to the boosted/modded JCM800 fashion and (although it takes a fair bit of balancing) can certainly be used as a foot switchable clean-to-lead amp. No reverb, but the loop is pretty good, the EQ has a wide range of real effect, and should fit your budget in the EU.

Must admit, I'm on a little Jube trip at the minute; I've had one for around three years now (side-lined a little when I added an SV20H) but only recently put some real effort into working with it and I still have the grin from finally finding 'my' tone with it :cool:

Not a bedroom amp (even though it has a labelled MV, it needs to be up to 6 or 7 before it blooms), but achievable with an attenuator.

DSL (even the 20) and the Jubilee are primarily getting all the gain from the preamp. My preference is for the Jubilee but both are pretty great and distinctively Marshall sounding. JCM 800 is definitely lower gain than either but easily achieved with an SD-1 or TS9

Hugo123

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks. Yes I have looked at the Jubilee, I figured it would be above budget. I'll put it back on the list. Anything to look out for when buying these older JCM900/2000s? I read about potential reliability issues, so something to consider when buying used. In terms of tone how does the current DSL20H match up with the older UK built ones? This one is of course pretty affordable new. For cabs, I believe these amps are often paired with the Celestion G12T-75, is that preferred over a greenback?

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Platinum Supporting Member
I think that a JCM900 (preferably Mk3 or SL-X) could be something if you want the amp to be a Marshall. The aforementioned two are the favorites in my JCM900 collection.
I also have a Jubilee 2555X, and its very pristine highs certainly make it much more aggressive sounding than my Sherriff - I like my 900s more, though. The Jube can sound a bit sterile when not blisteringly loud IMHO.

I personally would go for a Victory VX Kraken if I were you, but new it may collide with your budget constraints. The first channel is JCM900 with a tad more gain, the loop is wonderful and the MV is better than any Marshall I have played. It may give you exactly what you are missing with the Sherriff, a tighter bass and more aggressive treble frequencies.
The second channel is quite over the top 5150-like, but can be tamed with the gain set below 9:00.

Hugo123

Gold Supporting Member
I will check out the Kraken as well. Thanks for the recommendation. I do think the feature set of the DSL 50 fits perfectly for me, two modes on the 2 channels, loop, reverb, etc... I seems more versatile than the 900. Anybody got experience with the DSL 50 at low volume with the G12T-75s? Would the DSL20HR be better at low volume, even though it is a little less spec'd.

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
Just skip the part where you flip four or more Marshalls in three years and get a used Friedman of some kind.

sickboy79

JCM 2000 DSLs are fantastic amps. They cover a lot of Marshall ground from cleans to high gain/hot rodded tones. They can be had for pretty reasonable prices. I have a 50w myself.

Hugo123

Gold Supporting Member
Was able to pick it up today, thanks for the recommendations. Very nice green crunch channel and the ultra gain red channel gives me exactly what I was missing. I did underestimate how bulky the set (came with the 1936 2x12) would be... Unnecessary as it will stay mostly at home, but pure indulgence ;)!

IMG_5043.jpg

SlyStrat

Silver Supporting Member
My Origin sounds like a plexi/800 with Weehbo JCM Drive.
Better than any DSL.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom