marshall restore helP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ssdeluxe, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

marshall nutzzz unite !!!!
    Hi there, I'm in need of just a bit of guidance/help if anyone has an idea:

I'm in the process of restoring a 72 marshall super lead head, and one of the tube sockets requires a replacement flange, I don't need the whole socket assembly, just the flange, marshall uses a different size than everyone else being 1 /3/4" .

here' s a pic:, let me know if anyone has a lead on where I can find this, I guess I'd just buy the whole assembly if I could find that as well , pls help!
    thanks marshall peeeps.

here's the stupid little piece I need ! thanks in advance for any leads !! and the part # VLVE-00014 OR VLVE-00054 , OR whole socket # 833444, can find it scouring the net....
    [​IMG]

2. Trout

Trout Member

Forgive me for not seeing why the flange needs changed, It is just a flat piece of sheet metal, Are you sure its not the tension washer on the bottom of the socket that needed?

I had one loose on my early PTP 1973. BTW, that socket looks chipped pretty bad.

This is on the underside of the socket, to keep it tight to the flange

[​IMG]

They are like this,
    [​IMG]

Try here, http://www.angela.com/catalog/tube-sockets/8.pin.html

3. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Replace the whole socket.It looks like it has been arcing and there is material missing from the ceramic parts.
    Those sockets are available on many sites.Mojo,Hoffman,Angela and others.
    the piece you are pointing at in the picture comes with the socket.

4. Trout

Trout Member

Ahh,
    I just noticed on the far right edge of the photo why you need the flange, Looks like someone hacked in the wrong phenolic socket.

IMO, and knowing the value of the 72 SL 100. I would replace all 4 sockets if they look like the chipped and arc'd one in the picture. $20.00 or so buck for a well done job is a minimal investment for the piece of mind knowing its well done and done to last a few more decades.

Trout

5. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

thanks psychonoodler and trout, yup, the one to the right needs the piece, and yes, the white one is getting replaced as well, just thought if I could just get the flange, but your advice makes total sense, to get the whole socket.

trout, psychonoodler (or any other marshall masters), is the angela instruments one listed above a correct replacement for vintage marshall ??

thanks so much, I always appreciate the guidance I get here !...much appreciated.

this 72 superlead is going to get a nice restore treatment, I'll post when she's finally done as well.

p.s. LAST QUESTION:
    the head cab has a big round hole for a crude fan, but I pulled the noisy fan, would you guys recommend : putting a quiet fan in the hole for extra cooling, leave it open for air flow, or close it up and put a piece of tolex over the whole ??

6. V846

V846 Member

Amphenol is a good choice for replacement sockets but might be hard to find, think those are for 1-5/16" opening.The other socket Marshall used was McMurdo requiring a 1-1/8" opening

I would leave the fan out and just rely natural airflow to cool the amp

7. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

thanks V846, that's what we're doing ! appreciate the advice.