Marshall Silver Jubilee 100w vs 50w ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StevenStrat, Feb 18, 2012.

1. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

Hi,

I'm considering buying a silver jubilee. I have the possibility to buy either a 50w silver jubilee, or a 100w 2555 slash sig (identical to a silver jubilee).

What are the difference in sound/feel/etc between a 50w and 100w silver jubilee ?

Thanks !

2. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

come on, there must be someone out there who has experience ;)

3. kfiggy

kfiggy Member

The 100w has more head room then the 50w. I think the 100w has more balls then the 50w. The 50w is able to hit the sweet spot with lower volume then the 100w. Both rock, I would go for the 100w over the 50w if the prices were close.

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

This

I prefer the 50

5. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

cool, I think i'll go with the 50w since I don't play at blazing volume levels.

What's up with the pre-002500 or so serial numbers and a circuit change ?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Difference is subtle

7. scorched

scorched Member

One is crazy loud and the other is stupid loud.

8. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Agree. I've got a 2553 myself. Awesome amp. One of my favorite Marshalls ever.

9. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

LOL.
    Oh, and one will have better resale value.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    well unless you got a specific reason why you need 100w (and very few people actually do) then 50w is much more useful.
    It's lighter, less tubes to fail, has got good distortion at lower volumes and you won't need earplugs quite so often :p

11. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

The 100 will have a bigger deeper voicing compared to the 50. There will be other differences in terms of feel, string clarity, etc.

Have a read of some of the responses on this thread which might contain some pearls of wisdom for you

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1034878

There are other 50 vs 100 threads. Use google though to find them.

In the end make sure you base your decision on the kind of "tone" you are chasing, keeping in mind that there is a tonal difference between 50W and 100W at all volumes. Whether the difference is audible to you or significant enough to worry about is up to you.

Other considerations such as the ability to run the amp in it's sweet spot at the venues you play will be important. Not sure what the MV on these amps is like. Either one may need an attenuator to sound it's finest.

12. T-man

T-man Member

The Silver Jubilee 50 is not as loud as a 1987. But i don´t think its a problem. At least thats my experience having owned both.
    /T

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Agree. My Jubilee 50w is probably my least loud 50w Marshall. It get's LOUD but, it seems to be a bit more managable than other Marshalls.

14. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

The Jubilee will better resale and is become a collector's item. It's a silver Jubilee right?

15. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

does this go for the silver jubilees as well ? I prefer a deeper 3D voicing, so is there a noticeable difference between the 50w jub and the 100w ?

16. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I cannot say for certain as I haven't played any silver jubilees. I am 99% sure that it would be the same. I was on a tear last year playing as many 50 and 100W amps as I could because I had a decision to make about an amp that came in both sizes. I played several different brands that made 50 & 100 amps, and I was careful to try them through the same cab with he same guitar to negate other differences.

The 100's always sounded big and deeper to me.

Whether a 100W will be useable in your situation and sound as good to you as 50's do is up to your ears.

17. rocketeer

rocketeer Member

Steven,

have a 50 watter Silver Jub since a few weeks, I love it. Though not all Silver Jubs I played, sounded the same. For what price are the 50 w and the Slash going for ?

18. jclark42796

jclark42796 Member

19. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Alright....a couple of things. Both 50w and 100w Jubilees are LOUD! Lets not kid ourselves about that. Otherwise, the amps aren't so different regarding the gain structure and overall sonic footprint. What is very different is the amount of low end authority and punch that the 100 watter has. It is significant. Some people may not need or want that though and I can see where maybe they would prefer the 50 watter. Similar great sound, less low end authority.

Bother are awesome amps. You can't lose with either.

20. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I completely disagree with this. I have owned my 100watt Jubilee since 1989. As far as Marshalls go, its probably the least loud Marshall I have ever owned. In face a few years ago, I picked up a JCM800 2204 off of craigslist. It was so much lounder than my jubilee at the same settings that I actually brought my Jubilee to my tech to give it a once over. Told me the amps was perfectly fine.
    Since the 100watter is switchable to 50 watt, why not just get the 100 watter.
    The Jubilee has a master, a lead master and a gain knob, so dialing in a good tone at a reasonable volume is not that difficult.