Marshall Silver Jubilee and Using a Footswitch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gavin, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

I've owned my jubilee for a couple of months but to be honest, I used it with a footswitch for the first time tonight. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to set the amp to get a clean and then use the footswitch to go to a gain. What am I not doing right? Any suggestions for settings and using the correct configuration of the push/pull pots?

2. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Did you try it with the Master volume pulled and pushed? It will only work if its right, I just don't remember if its supposed to be pulled or pushed in. The whole footswitch setup on the Jubes are terribly unreliable. Yours might of just went out. If you open it up you'll see the little gold clicker thing on the pcb. It should pop up and down everytime you hit the footswitch.

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

2553 Jubilee head owner here. Hmmm - I've never tried mine with a footswitch. Honestly - I've never thought of the Jubilee as a channel switching amp. I've always thought of it as a one channel amp with a couple modes. It's got a nice clean tone - but, I've never tried to switch it to a dirty tone a la channel switching.

I always play my Jubilee dirty and use my volume control to change the tone from clean to dirty. But- thinking about the controls - set you clean tone up with the gain at about noon. Master to taste. This is a good setting for the dirty tone when you switch - then set the output master to taste for that tone. Don't use the Rhythm clip in the dirty mode - it really thins the tone out - at least to my ear. I hope that helps!

4. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

I'm going with Sickboy all the way here, never used the footswitch much on my Jubilee. I was a real genius and bought my 2553 for $450 back in '97 then sold it. Now they are worth a fortune. I always did a couple mods to make it even more primal and aggressive and now I'm thinking of doing knockoff with the mods and no footswitch since they have gone to near boutique prices.

5. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I use a footswitch with my 2x12 Jubilee combo.

If you want a clean channel and a high gain channel with balanced volumes.....ain't going to happen.
    The best you can do is to set the "clean" channel to diode clipping....this should cut the volume quite a bit. Noramlly you'd max the Lead volume just to get close to the "clean" volume. However, with the diode clipping, you can lower the Lead Volume to match a little better.

I normally set the gain to noon, so I can get somewhat of a clean/semi-clean tone.....The shared EQ isn't as big of an issue this way, either.

6. Ironman

Ironman Member

The problem with footswitching on a Jub preamp is that it's a huge compromise on getting the most of what makes a Jub special. To me, the Jub is an awesome dirty rock amp...dialed in right. If you dial in a decent clean and footswitch over to the lead channel, it's going to be weak. I'd recommend dialing it in for the best dirty tone and either a/b with another amp or use your volume knob to get semi clean.

7. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Thanks everyone. Great information and extremely helpful.

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I have a 2555 Jub.
    If you're gonna use the footswitch, I'd recommend either pulling the clipping switch on the master, or using a pedal with the clean channel. Clean channel without clipping/pedal and the lead channel (doing what a Jubilee lead channel is supposed to do) don't play well together. I tend to use the lead channel about 90% of the time or more when I use that amp. You can back off your guitar's volume and (depending upon how much gain you've dialed in) get it to clean up pretty well.

Good Luck

jb