Marshall Silver Jubilee or YJM100 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StevenStrat, Feb 20, 2012.

1. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

i'm in the market for an EL34 amp to accompany my Two-rock custom reverb sig.

I'm currently in doubt between these two amps. I think the plexi might be more versatile, but can you use delay in the fx loop, keeping in mind that the OD comes from the power section ?

On the other hand, bonamassa's solo sound is basically a jubilee with a dumble style amp in stereo, which could be cool too.
    I liked how it cleaned up completely with the volume knob, does this happen with the plexi too ?

Looking for some opinions on this, thanks !

2. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

If Bonamassa is what you are aiming for, then a Jubilee will definitely serve you better. The YJM seems like a cool amp but keep in mind like most modern Marshalls they will lose their value rather quickly. The Jubilee is collectible and will retain its value.

3. ctman64

ctman64 Supporting Member

:agree

Jubilees are freakin' awesome if you want the Bonamassa tone. A Jubie and Les Paul alone will get you 3/4 of the way there to his tone. A YJM could also be cool though if you want a little less gain. It also would clean up even faster than the Jubilee. And yes, a delay would work fine in the loop at high volume.

4. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

+100

5. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

I'd go Jubilee as well. Though it's a gain beast, they roll off just as nicely. I haven't played one in years, but I remember putting one thru the paces and it was no one trick pony. Good luck.

6. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Definitely play both if you can. I had a Jubilee and when I got my Plexi reissue with Metro board/trannies, that was it for me. Sold the Jube. The Jube was very cool, but man the plexi just rocked my world. I have only heard good things about the YJM from die hard plexi guys.

7. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

i think they are VERY different sounding amps..

the jubilee is much warmer and almost dark to my ears (for a marshall).

the yjm has that bright, rip your head off type of keeerrraaanngggg than i associate with metal face plexis

8. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

"metal face plexis" LOL.

9. jp1977

jp1977 Member

I think I would go with the Yjm. I had a jubilee about ten yrs back and sold it in favor of my modded jmp. My jubilee was a 50 watter, I didn't think it was all that special. They have a bright compressed tone. The Yjm seems to be a great amp though I haven't tried one yet. Power scaling, built in foot switchable boost, reverb, etc seem hard to beat. You can get a jubilee clone from ceriatone or marsh amps on the cheap though and have $1000 plus leftover if u go that route.

10. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

How loud are you planning to run this Marshall?

The reason I ask is that even though the jubilees are quiet for their respective 50Watt and 100Watt ratings by other Marshall standards, they still sound their best IMO when they have some volume behind them. The YJM is supposed to have a really nice EPA (attenuation) built in.

While I love my 50Watt Marshall 2553, I think that they are overpriced on the current market. I know my post is not really a recommendation, but hopefully gives you some things to consider.

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

The YJM sounds incredible. I'd love to have one. Had some Jubilees and they are darker and kinda fuzzy sounding. I'm not a big fan of those. Even when Joe B. used them you could hear a little of that fuzz happening especially when he'd change strings. I hate that in an amp. I like a cleaner sustaining tone like the old ones, and the YJM is real in your face, yet clean. With all the other stuff on it, I think it's the best stock Marshall I ever heard.

12. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

ive owned 3 or 4 jubilees and i tried to like them and it never worked out.. for some reason they got flubby like alot of marshalls in the low end and i tried 34's/ 6550s ect ect
    i think the YJM is much much better of an amp
    but we r all looking for something else

13. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

I think either amp will work for what you want to do but my preferance goes to the YJM. I think the Jubilee's are getting hard to find and you will more then likely have to pay top dollar for one and they are LOUD and sound fizzy to me at low volumes.
    With that said, I think the YJM is an amazing amp even though I agree with what people are saying about the resale value of some of the new Marshalls Id be willing to bet that will change in time. What I mean is that the resale is bad now but Id gaurantee that in a few years that will change. In my humble opinion you could not give away a Marshall 2210,2205 or Jubilee years ago when they were first introduced but look what they are going for now. Anything that is current that does not get a hype attached to it quickly will have a poor resale value, it's just the nature of the beast. In 10 years when someone makes a killer clip of an Old DSL or any of the newer marshalls watch what happens to the resale value! This is just my humble opinion and I'm not starting controversy here! I just have a differernt opinion!
    Also, In my opinion The YJM can get bright or as warm as you want depending on how you set it and what speakers you use.

Hope this helps!

All the best!
    ~R~

14. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

you know what i meant bub :)

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I still think it's hard to beat the right JMP head.