Marshall Slash Vs. Bogner XTC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mmasters, Aug 6, 2008.

For hard rock tones and value which is the better amp?

1. Marshall Slash (2555 Jubilee)

2. Bogner XTC

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

For hard rock tones and value which is the better amp?

2. tone slave

tone slave Member

I voted Bogner, for obvious reasons (I own one). It's also a more versatile amp. However, the Slash is a KILLER amp, and is handwired, a fact I just discovered a few days ago when a friend of mine bought one. If you don't need the bells and whistles of the XTC, the Slash may be the perfect amp.

The XTC is more refined, the Slash is more in your face.

3. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I have had 2 Slash's that have been sold, and just recently got a XTC 101B. It's tough to compare them as the XTC has so many tone shaping options, whereas the Slash is a straight ahead rock amp. I prefer the XTC, but the Slash is a great amp.

4. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    If its just for hard rock tones, hard to go against the 2555. I voted for the Slash.

5. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Yeah it's a hard decision. I have a bunch of great amps but no EL 34 amps. I'm mainly looking to bang out some hard rock tunes with my les paul. The versitility of the XTC is nice but I'm not sure I really need it.

6. 1moreknob

1moreknob Supporting Member

Bogner Shiva. 1/2 the price of an XTC, easier to dial in, and Is much better for Classic rock than the Marshall 2555. I owned both, and sold the original 2555 when I bought the Shiva

7. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Already have an amp that does the 6L6 Shiva thing.

Looking for the 80s-90s EL34 hard rock tone.

8. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

What about a JCM 800? Can be had a lot cheaper than a Slash. I prefered my 800 over either of the Slash's that I have had.

9. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Unsolicited opinion but... be sure to check out voodoo amps http://www.voodooamps.com/home/

I had a very nice V-Plex that covered a huge range of plexi tones, AND had more gain than the 83' JCM800 I was playing at the time.

FWIW I had an Ecstasy for about a year and while it is a fine amplifier it was more amp than I need. I've gone back to single channel stuff. In that respect the Slash would probably cut it for me (at least on paper)

10. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Hmm maybe I'll have to rethink things and poke about the JCM 800s.

Did you sell the V-plex, mcgriff?

Anybody tried the Reinhardt Storm?, sounds like another possible contender but no clips around.

11. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Personally I wasn't overly impressed with the Storm I played. I really like the Reinhardt 18, but somethig was missing from the Storm. Just my .02.

12. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

Are you sure the Slash amp is handwired? I own a Jubilee 2555 and I have seen them advertised as handwired, but it has a pcb. I have a feeling you are incorrect about the slash being handwired, since it is the same exact amp. Maybe I am wrong, so let me have it if I am.

13. tone slave

tone slave Member

Well, I was surprised as well, but my buddy that bought one has the original Marshall catalog with the Slash model in it, and it says that the amp is handwired. He hasn't pulled it open to verify that, but Marshall definitely claims that they are handwired.

14. Noah

Noah Member

I recently owned both at the same time. I tried bringing each one to different gigs, but the Bogner ended up winning.

15. wedewer

Did some research on the marshall website, it said it is handwired. I am not and expert, but I would be that still doesn't mean point to point. I may have to open up my 2555 and take a better look.

16. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I think you can hand-wire a PCB in place. That is different to PTP though.
    So, the Slash and the Jubilee are identical ? I was going to ask this, as I'm interested in a Jub, but they are too hard to find.

17. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I have played both... bogner all day

18. wedewer

I checked, my jubilee has a pcb board. I have not tried an xtc, but I do own a shiva el34. Great amp, but I wouldn't say it is better than my Jubilee. The jubilee is that rare marshall that has a little bit of the modern tone but can still get that classic early marshall sound. You have everyone from Eric Johnson, the guy in the chili's and joe Bonnomassa using one and they all get a different sound out of that same amp. Not a lot of other marshall can do that. I have played many marshalls and to this day, it is still one of my favorites. With that said, I tried out a tophat emplex mkII the other day and thought it sounded fantastic. On the modern setting, it can sound a lot like the jubilee. I think I have to get one. Now if I can only convice the wife!

19. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

hands down, the Bogner..no contest..