Marshall Studio 15

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
Thru a nice 2x12 is a very good thing :)

I have had this amp since 1989 and i had read about it but never tried to run it thru a separate cabinet. I recently got a Divided By 13 JRT 9/15 with a 2x12 closed back cab and thought hmmm lets check this cabinet out with the old Marshall.
Well i am happy to report that it sounds quite nice and big, much fuller than i ever heard the lil 15.
It's been a while since i had bigger amps as i took a break from playing and sold an amp and got a lil Swart STR Trem to compliment my lil Marshall for the home. I've been getting ready to gig and rehearsing and i thought let me get something a lil bigger hence the Divided but its nice to know that lil amp can make some real noise :)

Last edited:

Jr Deluxe

Bump not so old thread. For some reason i had never tried the headphone out trick. I just did so recently and i have to say it is great for whisper level practice. If you are a high gain metalster no youre not gonna get endless high gain buzz. But if plexi type tones are your thing , mine sounds close to my 1970 jmp 50 watt. I got a room full of modelers and practice amps and this has me playing more and longer. If you have a studio 15 try it.

KingsXJJ

Bump not so old thread. For some reason i had never tried the headphone out trick. I just did so recently and i have to say it is great for whisper level practice. If you are a high gain metalster no youre not gonna get endless high gain buzz. But if plexi type tones are your thing , mine sounds close to my 1970 jmp 50 watt. I got a room full of modelers and practice amps and this has me playing more and longer. If you have a studio 15 try it.
What is the headphone trick?

Jr Deluxe

What is the headphone trick?

This is spelled out in the marshall paperwork from the jcm800 era.
The amp has a built in load resister so if you pull the plug that goes to the speaker and plug it into the headphone output jack you get about a 1 watt output to the speaker. I doubt it would wake up a heavy sleeper in the next room. you certainly can jam without drowning out the tv. Add a distortion box for
gain if you want. I like it without. Very 2203 sounding at a whisper.

KingsXJJ

This is spelled out in the marshall paperwork from the jcm800 era.
The amp has a built in load resister so if you pull the plug that goes to the speaker and plug it into the headphone output jack you get about a 1 watt output to the speaker. I doubt it would wake up a heavy sleeper in the next room. you certainly can jam without drowning out the tv. Add a distortion box for
gain if you want. I like it without. Very 2203 sounding at a whisper.
That is a fantastic feature. Every amp should have it.

Being able to choose a 1 watt output was one of the reasons I recently ordered a Laney rack head.
If every amp had this what a game changer that would be practicing at home. Genius... I wonder why more manufacturers didn't adopt it.

Jr Deluxe

That is a fantastic feature. Every amp should have it.

Being able to choose a 1 watt output was one of the reasons I recently ordered a Laney rack head.
If every amp had this what a game changer that would be practicing at home. Genius... I wonder why more manufacturers didn't adopt it.
Even marshall only did it on one amp. I think maybe the C5 5watt marshall would do it but you had to switch some switch or something. I had borrowed a 5 watt but i couldnt get the 1 watt thing to work on it. One problem is the master volume. Most amps are pre phase inverter master volumes. The studio 15 is the only marshall i know of where it is post phase inverter. That makes a difference for this feature. The post PI allows it to somehow keep the tone from getting dull at 1 watt.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom