Marshall style head + Orange cab =?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stratoben127, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I've seen a few people do this before online but not in person. My friend was planning on selling his Marshall TSL100 because he plays mostly blues and it's too powerful and gainy. I play a lot of blues too but a bit more rock than him. He told me the other day that he played it through an Orange cab and it totally brought the amp to life- Hendrix tone all day. If I got a Marshall style amp it would most like be a Germino Club 40 but what effect would an Orange can have on it? I'm especially interested in this idea because Orange just came out with that new compact 412 and I don't think I could handle a full size Marshalll style cab.

2. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

3. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Marshall makes 2x12s, as well.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Some of Orange's 4x12 cabs came with Vintage 30 speakers. That may be why it sounded so good.

5. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

If you like Vintage 30's, then you should like the Orange cabs... I had an Orange 2x12 closed back and loved it but moved it because, well, things come in and things go out... I ran a '73 Super Lead through that cab and it sounded great to my ears. I know some peeps hate the V30's... but I like them.

Don't know the specs on the new Orange "mini 4x12" cab... it doesn't appear to be listed on the Orange site yet. But the 2x12 with v30's is rated at 120 watts, so it should handle almost anything you can throw at it, Marshall Majors aside... ;-)

6. k9blek

k9blek Member

My Marshall heads (and others) all sound better through an Egnater TM 2x12 cab that I have loaded with vintage 30's (Hellatones). I couldn't believe how much difference the speakers actually make on tone. I don't care much for Marshall heads (JCM's) through the industry standard 1960 cabs ...too much fizz ...but those same heads on my Eggie cab sound really good. My two cents.

7. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I own a hand wired Plexi and an Orange 4x12 and it's a killer combo.

The PPC412 sounds massive. Put casters on it if you get one!

8. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

I gotta do this, mine weighs a tonne but it is an awesome sounding cab.

9. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I still don't know what this would sound like compared to a Marshall with Greenbacks. Is it more of a tighter, middy sound? I like pretty loose sounding amps like the Bassman and Bluesbreaker.