Marshall style pedal suggestions please

Twisted Pair

I have two boards; one larger one for local gigs, and a much smaller one for a fly rig. On the larger board I use a Tech 21 Hot-Rod Plexi, which I like very much. Mine has the Punch control, which is an active mid range control, as oppose to the original circuit, which has a Thump control. I set this pedal to give me a light crunch, which cleans up beautifully. For leads, I hit it with a Boss OD3.

This set-up works very well for me, and I would like to approximate this setup on the smaller board. At this time, I have a Boss STK1 Power stack in place of the Tech 21, and a mini BB preamp clone in place of the OD3. This set-up works reasonably well, but with just a few issues related to the STK1.

Specifically, the Boss is intended for a much more saturated and scooped sound than I am aiming for. As a result, I have to set the gain, bass and treble all very low to achieve the barely crunchy, reasonably flat slightly dirty sound that I seek. And at these settings, the STK has noticeably more hiss and other noise than the Tech21.

I want a small footprint pedal with buffered bypass, low to medium gain, smooth drive characteristics, and with tone controls powerful enough that I can have a full, but not exaggerated, bass, and I can balance the mid-range to nearly flat. Not scooped, and not nasal like a tube screamer.

Suggestions within those parameters welcome.

What kind of amp are you using? When you say light to medium gain, smooth breakup and buffered bypass it kinda sounds you’re describing some kinda Klon clone like the jrocket archer. Or for a cheaper alternative the ehx soul food which is a great bang for the buck overdrive. But I wouldn’t call it a Marshall type pedal. They’re considered a somewhat transparent overdrive. But if you’re using it to push the front end of a Marshall it can sound very Marshall like. If you would decide to get something with true bypass that could open the door to a lot more choices. Maybe a OCD

Twisted Pair

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Just to clarify, I use a clean amp with Fender voicing. When traveling for these fly gigs, the venue provides me with an amp. I have used twins, deluxes, blues deluxe, and even a tech 21 trademark 60. All can work fine for me. I just set them for a good clean sound. They are all a bit different, but I can dial any of these into the ballpark.

What most matters to me is that I can engage the pedal and get a sound that is not extreme at any point in the spectrum. TS style pedals are off the table here. Just a light/medium crunch that can be boosted with another pedal. Ideally, I want low hiss, natural decay, cleans up nicely, and prefer buffered bypass with silent switching.

zztomato

I use a Kingsley Constable on my board for a Plexi flavour with all its tonal shaping options and gain. I'm not suggesting you get one of those but, recently I picked up a Fairield Circuitry Barbershop OD2 that I found gave me a similar result to the way I use the Constable. It's a really unique OD that provides a great platform to run another OD into. You'd use it at the end of your drive pedal chain. It has vol, drive and a sag control that kind of simulates the compression of a tube amp. 3 way toggle for tone. Doesn't really colour your signal. Anyway, it might be what you need apart from the fact that it's true bypass so you'd need a buffer elsewhere. Just thought I'd mention it because it sounded very similar to the Constable (how I set it) which is an actual tube plexi pre-amp.

dwk302

Weehbo JCM Drive LTD is the best one I’ve tried and I’ve tried them all. This is the pedal that ended my search, it’s been a few years now.

It’s 3 pedals in one - JTM, JCM, hot rodded JCM. It sounds fantastic. I don’t know if they’re still in production.

Slow Graffiti

Silver Supporting Member
The Xotic SL Drive is a mini pedal. While the single knob tone control is limited, it has internal dipswitches for EQ that might put it where you want it to be. The manual is informative. It has a good deal of gain available, so I would start with it low and work it up to where you like.

Not too well-versed otherwise in mini-pedals, but if you would be okay with getting a dual pedal, that could be a way to go. Already being familiar with the Xotic BB Preamp sound, you could get the BB+. The left side of that is killer, one of my favorite overdrives.

The Strymon Sunset is a dual drive while the Strymon Riverside has a 'favorite' button which you could set like a second level of gain. Keeley's D&M Drive sounds great too.

Other single pedal ideas - JHS Charlie Brown, Keeley 1962x.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
Weehbo JCM Drive LTD is the best one I’ve tried and I’ve tried them all. This is the pedal that ended my search, it’s been a few years now.

It’s 3 pedals in one - JTM, JCM, hot rodded JCM. It sounds fantastic. I don’t know if they’re still in production.
what amp do you use?

BigBadOrange

Silver Supporting Member
Atomic Amps firebox. Its a distortion box sized modeler. No "pedal" will get even close to it. I have one built into my pedalboard as a backup for my actual marshall heads.

I have used the Power Stack for a decade and I have enjoyed it. But yeah it's a little scooped and noisy.

One that hasn't been recommended yet that I have used a lot is the TC Dark Matter. It's a nice distortion. I use it for that James Gang type of crunch.

I've heard some nice demos of the Caline Englishman if you're on a bit of a budget. Nice sounding low/mid gain Marshall sound.

Trending Topics