1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Marshall style with master volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Phil M, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Phil M

Phil M Member

Yes, I did a search and got some interesting topics.

Anyway, just taking roll call to see what's out there these days in EL34 40-50 watt heads with a master volume that can do vintage clean-ish breakup to hot-rodded Marshall. 1 or 2 channels. Footswitchable boost and reverb not necessary.

I have a Rivera K-55 that I've used for years which is nice, but what else is out there(?) I'm gonna go (attemp to) finish my patio project. See y'all in a few hours.

2. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

If you want the marshall sound get a marshall maybe a 50 watter reissue or older jmp and install a post phase master volume, ( parts are like $10)
    Or look into guys that mod marshalls ( mine was done by mark cameron and is now a 3 channel marshall) also splawn, David Bray...etc
    You could also look into dabeck amps

3. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Depends upon what your definition of a "hot-rodded Marshall" is...

but for a KILLER "Classic Marshall" styled amp with a great master volume you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than a Roccaforte Custom 30 or 40 IMHO. :dude

4. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I have a TopHat Emplexador 50 watt head. Extremely versatile and great Master Volume. Kicks out anything from JTM45 to JCM800! Marshalls are awesome, but you don't get the versatility.

5. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

They running 60 or 80 wattas I think..

:jo

6. clarkram

clarkram Member

check out an Aiken Intruder, the new ones are 50 watts (mine is 2x EL34s for 30 w). Absolutely one of the better master volumes out there, 2 channels.

7. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

My 87x that was modded by David Bray (with master volume added) is a little beast even at bedroom volumes. Cleans are amazing too. He turned this into one versatile amp. Check him out here: davidbrayamps.com.

8. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Emplexador. Exactly what you described. also, /13 LDW. I own both.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Again, Soldano Decatone!

It's a 3 channel amp..

Ch1-Fender Bassman
    Ch2-Hot Rodded Marshall
    Ch3-90% of an SLO

Channel 2 is probalby where you're going to find what you want. Turn the gain down about halfway and you've got that classic Marshall breakup sound. It sounds exactly like all the soundclips I've heard here of various Marshall, Roccaforte, and other boutiques.

It's not EL34 though, it's 5881/6L6.

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

Intriguing suggestions. I am very impressed with Tophat, just sold my Club Royale. Nothing wrong with it, just wasn't using it in my current projects (would love to get another when I'm rich).

I played a Shiva. That was one HELL of an amp.

11. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

+1,000

The Emplex has a killer master volume.

12. SimonBSinister

SimonBSinister Silver Supporting Member

13. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

One Word -- Roccaforte!

Seriously - give Doug a call and he will help you in this tone quest!

I love my Roccaforte (Thanks, Leon -- Purple tolex does sound good)...

14. Phil M

Phil M Member

Wow, the Aiken sounds really cool. This is more or less the base sound I'm looking for, and then I use a couple of pedals for heavier stuff.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=174401

We don't play the same, but that's the tone. His Invader would seem to be EL84, but is this more or less the Intruder tone?

BTW, thanks for all these great suggestions. I'm not ready to buy anything and won't be for months, but some of these are out of my range. The new Roccaforte and Aiken heads $2000 and up. I'm not criticizing their pricing, I just don't see myself spending that kind of money on one head.

15. clarkram

clarkram Member

The Intruder is the same amp as the Invader, but Intruder has no reverb and does have a mv. The Invader has the verb and built in attenuator.

EL84s are for the 18 watt version, 30 and 50 watters use EL34s in both amps. good luck.

last time I checked I think the 50 Intruder was 1895 new, unless things have changed you can get a modest discount as well.

16. garbud

garbud Member

17. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

At one time I had owned an Intruder 30, EL34s
    Instead of reverb the Intruder head has an fx loop.
    Great master volume- best I 've heard in that type amp.
    We did a one on one A/B against the 50w Emplexador- same speakers, same guitar,etc.-Really no difference in volume- the 30w Aiken matched the 50W Hat, but even the owner or the other amp admitted at the time that the Aiken edged it out a bit in tone and feel.
    Both are great amps and should be on your list.
    For my money, and if you object to +$2000 Marshall-type EL-34 heads, you should look into Paul Cochrane's Heritage line. His 50w Patriout is killer, and there are other models worth exploring too.

18. mikey

mikey Member

I have a Rocca Custom 40. I haven't had too much time with this one yet, but it's definitely one to consider.

19. Phil M

Phil M Member

Didn't know he made amps. I checked the site. Reminded me a little of the Allen line (I currently use an Old Flame).

What might be the benefits of a Patriot over a Britton II??

20. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I wouldn't pretend to discuss the Britton II since I have not played or heard one, only seen it at NAMM. I have played the Patriot and also have been around it when it was demo'd at the Tampa ToneFest (its been getting rave reviews there for 2 years now) and at the Chicago ToneFest.
    I know that Paul is very proud all of his amps, but the Patriot was his flagship design. they have a patent on the transformer design which is revolutionary in its performance. Paul set out to make a 50w Marshall inspired amp that feels and behaves like the best of the old 100w plexis, with more control over the voicing and sag. He really nailed it. The only drawback is it doesn't have a master volume. I LOVE that amp through a 4x12. But if it is too much horsepower for you, you would need an attenuator, or at least a plexi shield if you are concerned about volume.
    Also, for the money, its about the best value out there in a head in that class and quality.
    I'm sure if you start a thread asking for comparisons and differences between the Patriot and Britton, some of the owners will chime in.
    I have no doubt the Britton rocks too. Paul builds great stuff.
    For disclosure- I consider him a friend, but I'm not an endorser, just an admirer. :)