marshall super bass 1974

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sggibby, May 22, 2015.

1. sggibby

sggibby Member

Hi, there's one up for sale in my area and I wanted to know what you guys knew about that specific year? Were they still handwired? Do they sound as good as earlier years'?
    I play blues rock in a band and like to have a fat sound.
    Thanks for your answers.....

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

They are PCB, sounds awesome. A good bit cleaner than a Super Lead circuit, but that's a fairly easy mod.

3. illini

illini Member

I owned a 74 for a few years. Wish I still had it. As said PCB. I loved the sound but very loud. The one I had only had two volumes, very loud clean to very loud dirty. If you need a amp that can be played quiet you will need an attenuator.

If I were in your shoes and were looking for a blues amp in the Marshall family I would look to the JTM 45's

4. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Ive got a 74 Superlead coming next week.....cant wait.
    But yes,i expect i will need an attenuator or a MV.....or maybe both!!

5. illini

illini Member

As far as sound quality goes, that is an area that will always be debated among amps. They sound very good, but are different than the earlier "Plexi" models. Marshall kept brightening up their amps in the 70's to meet the needs of the time.

6. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I had a 74 Superbass. They are pcb by that time but no big deal. I thought it sounded better than the 69 plexi panel superbass I had

7. sws1

sws1 Member

The Superbass didn't really change over time, like the Superlead did. It pretty much stayed the way it was designed back in '67 or '68. Of course, the parts changed, but the circuit stayed the same.

You can buy modern versions of the superbass, but with less power. The PRS HXDA (which I have) is switchable between a bass spec and a lead spec amp. (Not full bore lead, but 1/2 way there.) Only 30 watts and with a master volume. I play it through a single '65 watt Scumback greenback. Killer.

8. blues

blues Supporting Member

Middle 1973 was when the the changed happened.

9. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I had a '75 that was dead mint. I Recall paying $1,500 for it. I wish I still had it. One of the best amps I owned.

10. illini

illini Member

Good clarification. Thank you.

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've got a 73 SB - PCB. It's absolutely fantastic. Seriously great amp. Think Super Lead tones but, bigger and fatter. A bit more headroom than a SL as well. Can't recommend SBs enough.