Marshall Super Bass- Oh My God!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jackaroo, Oct 2, 2008.

1. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Played one today- man what an amp.

'73 all original. One the nicest clean sounds I've ever heard, great beefy crunch and dimed it had a pretty amazing lead tone.

I'm in love!

What are the differences in the ali panel from 73 I played today and the earlier plexis?

Jack

2. ROKY

ROKY Member

Since the Lead amps(50 and 100w) had the most gain and voicing tweaks
    I'd guess the bass amps had virtually none, since they were intended
    for bass.

Therefore I'm going to say the biggest differences in stock SBs from the
    plexi era(60s) into the period you're at('73) would be power tranny
    voltages, which of course also vary from amp to amp with the Lead amps.

I think you can expect to find more tonal similiarity between a '68 SB and
    a '73 SB, than a '68 SL and a '73 SL .

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

That's what I was hoping to hear. I found it extremely nice sounding. Shockingly beautiful for clean sounds- amazing. Then all you do is turn it up till the dirt is where you want it.

There is very little else on my mind now. I'm not sure if it's been monkeyed with or whatever, but damn if that wasn't "it".

Thanks for the info.

JD

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Yeo - Super Bass' are monsters! Amazing amps for sure. I've got a 73 myself!

5. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I'm comin' over!

6. ROKY

ROKY Member

Of course this brings back the itch to get one of these for myself - I've
    been wanting an SB for a few yrs, now .

What guitar did you plug into it ?
    What cab/speakers ?

7. Belmont

Belmont Member

JMP Super Leads aint so bad either,I love the tone of the low E,and the A strings on a strat,and the rest of the strings of course,but I really hear the character of the amp immediately on the low strings.

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I recently got a '68 50 watt Plexi Trem head. I am floored by the cleans this amp produces.

Mike

9. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I played it through a 70's basketweave 4x12 with blackbacks- I was using an EJ strat (nothing special) but it was some of the most lovely sounding, full, supported clean tone I'd ever heard. Absolute clarity and punch without any harsh spikey stuff. Just great. Then if I turned up the volume to say 4 -6 it just started pouring on the most incredible crunch. So muscular without being "Metal"- not a lot of distortion, but really the sound of something big being overdriven- By the time the head was on 8...it was going pretty good. Really loud, but still clear and defined- much more headroom that then 50 watter from 1970 I tied right after...way more my style.

I'm doing that thing where I shuffle gear around in my mind- trying to figure out where to get the dough!

Jack

10. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I played with a guy for years who used greenbacks and a Superbass from the early 70's. He'd run the amp just under 6 and augmented it with a Fuzz Face or an ancient Roland Compressor Sustainer, it was completely amazing to behold.

A fifteen minute demo with a stock strat is fine for the greenbacks.

My friend bought a DiMarzio Super distortion pickup and instantly started popping speakers at gigs. The old creeping volume issue. The speakers in a single cabinet could not take it. Luckily he had two cabs, but he tore through some nice speakers, finally got a quartet of EV's and that's what it took to stop the carnage.

In those days, you could get an Altair attenuator, not so good. A hotplate or airbrake would be mandatory if you plan to roll with single cab filled with greenbacks. What A Sound. I remember pant legs flapping with that thing.

11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I like my attenuator...and my hearing. The strat and the blackbacks on 8 for a few minutes was enough. I didn't want to tempt fate and blow it up.

12. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

Ive be told that Duane Allmans head of choice was a 50 watt SB

13. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Well all I know is the 100 watter really beefed up the clarity and the clean tone improved so so so much. I'm shocked.

14. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

Here I am again, regretting selling my '73 Superbass! Mine was modded, so that one Volume controlled the preamp, the other controlled the master - I think the two channels were jumpered (?), because two of the four front panel imputs were plugged. Anyway, it had the same versatility and power described above. I could dial in some great distortion at low volumes, and the cleans were fantastic! Damn, I miss it.

15. rah3

rah3 Gold Supporting Member

I owned a plexi 100 watt Super Bass years ago. Glorious sounding amp, but loud. Did I say LOUD!!! This was in the late 70's, before attenuators we're good and reliable.

-RAH3

16. stanner

stanner Member

i play my '77 LesPaul Deluxe w/ P90s thru a '73 SuperBass into (2) Marshall 2X15 JCM Bass Series cabs for the finest guitar sound i've ever heard.
    YMWV
    staninsanfran

17. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

18. hogy

hogy Member

jackaroo, I hope you went and got that amp. As much as these old Marshalls vary, you have to act when you find "the one".

I completely agree with your assessment of the 100 Watters. Bigger is better, you can feel that horsepower at any volume level. My favorite vintage amp, the very last one I would hang on to for dear life, is my '66 JTM45/100.

[​IMG]

19. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I wish Hogy-

The market and my gear rich/cash poor status pretty much shut down my hopes of getting it. Perhaps it's still there...I don't see too many folks gigging with them here in NYC and frankly not everyone has 2.5K for a head these days.

It was glorious though, and I'll always have that sound in my head...even though it wasn't my strat or a great room, you could just tell what this amp had to give. A little tonal quickie, but still a powerful experience.

20. hogy

hogy Member

Not trying to be preachy her, but I would find a way to get it. Sell all those clone amps. That old Marshall is money in the bank, and if it has that sound, you might not find another one like it.

Maybe you can talk them down a bit, $2500 for a '73 is on the high side. But again, if it has the magic...