Marshall Super Lead 100.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kc_hubbs, Apr 20, 2015.

1. kc_hubbs

kc_hubbs Member

So, im looking to unload my Orange TH100 head, and picking up a Marshall Super Lead 100 head.

Ive found a few. I was just curious if anyone can offer some input as to which is better, a reissue head, or a 90' or early 2000 original head.

2. JB6464

JB6464 Member

I prefer the SL amps that don't have the effects loop in them .
    For some reason they sound better to me .

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Try to find an originall if you can. The SLP was ok, but I think the old iron / mustard caps amps is where it's at.

4. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Get an original 70s

5. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Member

Definitely go for a 70's one if you can. Best iron and caps on those by far in my opinion and though people talk about reliability issues I've had dozens and never worried as long as they were properly biased and tubed.

Can't beat the price on a player 1959 (Superlead model #) from the mid 70's. PCB or point to point, it doesn't matter...tone is great either way.

6. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

They all can sound different, even same year. I hope you can try before you buy.

7. Planespotter

Planespotter Member

I had a 1959slp reissue from the 90s (no effects loop) and it delivered the goods in spades, especially into a greenback loaded cab. Also it was loud. Really really really loud. I ended up trading it for an '83 JCM 800 50 watter which I love, but I do miss the plexi. One of my friends has the 1987x from the same era which is also amazing. As always, try before you buy because marshall amps from all eras can and will vary pretty drastically.