marshall superbass (70's) with single coil guitars

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wanj, May 17, 2011.

1. Wanj

Wanj Member

Hi guys, do any of you happen to play with this set up?

I was watching YT demos and the audio is unclear on most, I wanted to know what this amp is like for warm clean tones ? And whether it has a lot of clean headroom before any natural breakup.

Many thanks if you have some info to share!

2. Wanj

Wanj Member

anyone?

its a 77 amp and its had the electrolytic filter caps replaced but aside that its stock, would this lower the price much or not really ?

3. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I have a '74 Superbass that I mostly use with humbuckers though I do use it with single coils as well. With my EJ Strat, it doesn't start to break up until about 5 or 6 volume wise. With my LP, it is quite crunchy by that point. I always attenuate the amp past about 2 on the dial as it is too loud otherwise for the gigs I do. I will use OD pedals in front of it or attenuate it and wind it out for amp OD.

Excellent warm clean tones with any guitars in my opinion, one of the best.

4. Seakayak

Seakayak Member

I miss my '73 Superbass, used it with an old Ibanez Strat Copy - why did I sell it!! It was great with single coils, although they were kinda powerful - Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders.

I think Doyle Bramhall used a Superbass with his strats:

5. Wanj

Wanj Member

interesting

does it need to be attenuated, or can you just use it at a lower volume and keep more tone that way ?

6. amc

amc Member

an attenuator is a necessity to be able to work the power tubes and still be at a reasonable volume. i don't know of any club that would let you crank a 100w marshall super bass without attenuating the sound

7. Wanj

Wanj Member

fair enough, thanks for that!

what'd be a good price for a 77 superbass then in £££ ?

8. Seakayak

Seakayak Member

Not sure, but I remember an early '70s Superbass on EBay a few years ago, going for $1700 US. Todays rate, that would be:
    1700 US$ = 1046 British pounds according to Google.

Forgot to mention, I found there was quite a lot of clean headroom, but those pickups I had were a bit hot. Just a fantastic amp!

I searched Google, found this:
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...INTAGE-MARSHALL-SUPER-BASS-W0QQAdIdZ283010734

"VINTAGE MARSHALL SUPER BASS. 1977 Marshall Super Bass amp in MINT , MINT, MINT shape, 100 watts of awesome sound and fury. Same amp that Lemmy from Motorhead uses and John Frusciante from Red Hot Chili Peppers. New Caps. Asking $2200.00 o.b.o Great shipping rates from Vancouver.And secure through PayPal. Email for more pic.s . Thanks"

9. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

There is a member here who goes by the name Jackaroo, he recorded clips playing his Strat through his PTP 100 watt Super Bass through a 2x12 cab loaded with Scumnicos. The tone is to die for, cleans up the wazoo, oh and his playing ain't to shabby either. You might find these clips on the Scumback website. I haven't seen any postings by Jackaroo in quite some time, he was doing the gear demo's for TGP Webzine.

10. Tito83

Tito83 Member

+1 Those clips have some really amazing tone.

11. Wanj

Wanj Member

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=670429

I found his clips a short while after I made this thread and they do sound very nice, a little bit twangy for me like but thats probably as much to do with his playing and I could roll the treble down a touch to get it sounding a little more mellow and it could be a very great amp for my playing!

John Frusciante doesn't use bassmans though, marshall majors and jubilees.

If anyone else in the UK was looking for an older marshall amp I came across a site that seems to have a lot of older quality amps in at the moment, but you have to phone in/email as no online check out facilities.

http://www.twotribesmusic.co.uk/amps.html

Im trying the super bass out tonight so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks very much for all the help thus far!

12. Wanj

Wanj Member

Hey, just to say I got the amp for £550, not too bad of a price :)

Gonna hook it up to my marshall jcm 602 combo and use the speakers in that for a bit, both speakers in that are 8ohm but i need to check the impedence so i dont **** up the super bass' tubes/transformers whatever right ??

I do need to get my tele shielded though now as there's a bit of hum, no hum with humbucker guitars though.

13. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

:omg

Now just get lost will you! :p That's a steal man! Congratulations for the acquisition! ;)