Marshall Superbass Plexi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by winkofaneye, Sep 16, 2008.

1. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I've just bought one of these amps for use with guitar.I have a 1971 metal panel one of these too,and love the tone.My question for all marshall buffs is two fold--

1- The serial number states SB/A 10672,indicating a superbass model,but what year?(no indication on the sticker internally)It has the lay down transformer,plexi panels,but I thought Marshall only started using serial numbers in July '69,so this would make it a very late plexi.

2-It hasnt been switched on for a decade until I tried it at the guys house.What would be the best way to approach using it again;obviously a good service,but not being technically minded I dont want to get ripped off.What needs doing to the amp,and what is unnecessary work?

Thanks in advance

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

The trick is having a tech you can trust so that you don't get ripped off. Anything can go wrong with an amp, so nothing is really out of the question per say. It may just need a retube and rebias, it may need new filter caps, and it may need nothing. If it was me and I didn't have a fantastic "Marhsall Guru" of a tech, I would consider shipping it to one of the many great techs that know those amps top to bottom.

3. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Luckily for me,since posting this I have been given the number of Jimmy Page's amp tech for the recent reunion gig,so I suppose I can trust his opinion.He says not to turn it on until he's looked at it,and he will give it a thorough examination,and then tell me what it does or doesnt need.He only lives 25 miles away too!If anyone has any serial number knowledge I'd be grateful.Thanks.

4. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I always thought of my plexi superbass 100 as a '68 and the SN is 10331. Still, I don't know for sure if it could be early '69 or late '67 but I doubt that. Also it seems they may have scrambled the pile of back panels so the amps may not have really gone out the door consecutively by serial number. For the most part it seems the earlier ones from '67 or so have a taller laydown PT, and only one cap up top. These have much higher plate voltage usually well over 500v. Mine has the shorter laydown PT (like the EVH spec superlead) but has two caps up top and a B+ of about 490v. I think the shorter PT came in around '68. Mine has one cap near the PT and one preamp cap up top, but the other 4 are on the internal board. I've seen some '68s with only 1 cap up top. Later plexis from say '69 tend to have all 6 caps up top just like the metal panel amps. These amps varied quite a bit, but the folks on the plexi palace forum might be able to help you more.

If you already powered up the amp and it worked you might be ok. However I'd probably say it's preferred to bring a dormant amp up with a variac and to check the power supply caps for signs of decay. Some like to keep the power supply caps original in these until the bitter end for resale sake. However if you intend to use it regularly I'd say recap the first two PS caps, the screen caps, and probably leave the preamp ones upstream alone. I did this on my '68 superbass about 5 years ago and it sounds great and never goes down. I figured if the preamp cap ever goes it's upstream enough that a resistor will probably smoke and keep any big damage from occuring. It's mainly the first four caps that you never want a short from, these caps in most plexis being the 4 on the internal board.

5. Glide

Glide Member

6. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.The tech I mentioned is going to date the components for me when he services it,so it'll give me a better idea of age.The guy I bought it from is a victim of the economic downturn,and has a load of gear for sale,including a 1969 4x12 with pre rola celestions.I'm tempted to pair the superbass with this cab,but he wants 1000gbp(nearly $2000),which I think is too steep(I paid less than that for the amp).After all I could get a set of pre-rolas here on TGP or ebay for 100gbp each and put them in a reissue cab.He also has a JTM45 mk4,a vox AC15,Vox AC30 head,Marshall Bluesbreaker combo,late 60's silverface Bassman 110,Silverface bandmaster,original echoplex,Marshall Tremelo head 60's,loads of Selmer and Sound City stuff.Its the ultimate temptation walking into his house!

7. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Thanks so much for this site.It looks like the amp may be a late 67,early 68 from the images of other similar ones here.Great stuff!

8. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Wink are you a Dolye Bramhall II fan by any chance? ;)

Congrats on the great amp , and can't wait to hear the report when its up and running!

9. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

And what made you think that!!! Yes,I'm a massive Doyle fan,and I cant believe my luck.I recently bought a Dr Z Airbrake to use with my Marshall's,and I was trying it out in my unit,at very low volume.This guy was walking past,knocks the door and says 'I heard you playing,and wondered if you are looking to buy any gear',he then offers me some Line 6 flextone's,so I told him that I was only really interested in vintage or vintage sounding gear.'Oh,I've got alot of that' he says.Two days later I pay him a visit,and he's got an unbelievable collection of some of the most sought after amps ever made.He pulls out a JTM45,a VoxAC15,Marshall Bluesbreaker combo etc etc.And then he says'I've got a plexi here somewhere,trouble is its a superbass not a superlead',you can imagine the thoughts going through my head.It took me 5 days of negotiation to get it.Even though he faced house repossesion,he found it hard to part with his gear,and I did feel sorry for him.I eventually got the amp for 850gbp,which over here is a steal.I also get Jimmy Page's amp tech to work on it too.The god's are shining on me this week!

It makes me think that there must be more of these guys all around the world who have a stash of amps,but dont really play.This guy only owned one guitar,and most of the amps hadnt even been switched on in over a decade.He had a silverface bassman head,which he bought in the states in the early 70's and NEVER used it because it was set for 110volts.Unbelievable!Needless to say,I'm going to try to stretch the funds a little to pay him another visit.

10. gregory49

gregory49 Member

thats really cool! You sound like a good person so Im sure you deserve it and hope you enjoy it! Make sure you keep us at TGP updated!

11. humbucking

humbucking Member

congrats on the score! That serial number with an "A" is a 1969. Depending on condition & originality, that amp would sell for up to $5000 here in the states! I get a great Doyle tone from my 67 Super PA! Sometimes a TS808 in front of it for the nastier parts!

12. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I thought the A prefix would make it a 69,but the site link above shows at least one 67 with an A prefix too.The circuit of mine is similar to those shown from 67,re filter caps etc.I'll just have to wait for the tech to date the components.69-67 no matter,still will sound great!

13. humbucking

humbucking Member

post a few pics & I can tell you what year it is! I only saw one amp with the "A" prefix, that was listed as pre-69. A 67-mid 68 will have only one or two filter caps up on top of the chassis. a late 68 onwards, will have multiple filter caps up top. Mustard caps have a date code on them. for example "A8N" the 8 being 1968. does it have a flat or rounded front lip to the headbox? Does the seller want to move anymore of his amps:D again congrats!

14. hogy

hogy Member

You should understand that a healthy Super Bass will put out much more that 100W when cranked. I've measured up to 170W at full tilt.

Accordingly, if you plan on cranking the amp unattenuated, you will blow those speakers in short order, which would be a real shame. You need at least two 100W cabs, and that's pushing your luck.

15. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Dont worry,I use my Airbrake to protect my current greenback loaded cab(and the audience/soundman),so of course would do the same with that old one.

16. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I'll take it apart later and post some pics.The guy is desperate to sell everything he's got,but he's UK based so the shipping might be high.If you are seriously interested I could ask him if I could hook you up(cant give his details out without his permission).Like I said,he has a JTM45 mkIV(unboxed-just the amp),a Marshall Tremelo head,a Vox AC 15(twin speaker version),A Vox AC30 head,a Marshall Bluesbreaker(which has been re-covered by Marshall),a silverface Bassman 110 late 60's,silverface Bandmaster,original mint working echoplex,various 4x12's,several different Selmers,various Sound City,lots of early celestion and vox blue speakers.And thats just the stuff he showed me.His whole house is filled with amps and cabs,its literally sofa-marshall bluesbreaker-4x12-chair-tv on top of unnamed cab-etc etc.He's a typical 60's muso whose fallen on hard times.So passionate about his gear.Oh yeah,he's got several Park amps too.None of it gets used though.It just sits there year in year out.Let me know if you are interested,but be quick as the dealers over here wont hang about!

17. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Here's some pics-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like a late 68,early 69.

18. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

19. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Cool story, congrats!

By any chance is your sn inspired by the last lines of Jimi Hendrix's last poem?

'' The story of life is quicker than the wink of an eye. The story of love is hello and goodbye. Until we meet again.''

20. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Exactly,and the poem was written apparently on the day he died I believe.Which is 38 years ago today,so rest in peace Jimi(thanks for the continuing inspiration).