marshall superbass vs Hiwatt 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcormier, Jun 12, 2006.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

ok im looking for something that will give me powertube crunch (ACDC witout all the preamp gain) and a super clean sound just by switching p/up position on my strat... i have a fralin sp43 (p-90 sound and power) in bridge and some suhr v60p (typical strat sounding, but much better pups) in neck and mid.

Which do you suggest?

Thanks.

Maxim

2. Tread

Tread Member

Those amps are two different animals.
    .......But your descibing the Marshall.

3. mcormier

mcormier Guest

i know... but which suits my need better?

4. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

To get power tube crunch from the Hiwatt (without an attenuator), you are probably going to have to endanger your life.

5. Tread

Tread Member

Where ..what size rooms do you play?
    Kind of music?
    How loud is your drummer?
    How well does your sound man mix?
    How loud is your vocalist?
    Lottsa questions ...sorry.:)

6. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Basically you need to play a football stadium to crank a DR103 for power tube distortion . . . or a good attenuator. I find my '73 DR103 sounds fantastic with my Weber Mass 150--that AC/DC crunch comes along very nicely then . . . but it must be on 10.

7. ROKY

ROKY Member

I'd say locate the Hiwatt 50.
    I have a 50, made in the Biacrown-era that will easily do what you're wanting.

The 50 has a serious kick, too, plenty of volume, believe me.

My 100 is a later Hylight-era [2 inputs], so, it has a bit more gain than the
    earlier versions. You can crank the preamp gain, up, ahead of the MV; and,
    with a good set of EL34s, it'll grind without opening the MV, full-bore.

Love the Hiwatts !

You should try to locate an earlier YBA-1 since your in CA

My 1966 YBA-1 is a great Strat amp, since I snipped the bright cap.

Jump the channels and then put one of the volumes at slightly, on, to
    thicken the signal for a strat, then, put the other volume where you like it.

With your strat setup it'll bark at med-gain, and clean up in the middle and neck
    positions.

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

LMAO! That's classic! :BEER

9. gitman

gitman Member

i've had the good fortune to own both amp models and i'd have to concur with my other colleages here and would add this : the Hiwatt DR504 ( 50 watt head ) is plenty loud, has pure, ringing tone with little compression even when dimed. i have used it with a hotplate attenuator. you'd be hard pressed to find a more dynamic amp - it's unforgiving. the Super Bass
    is incredibly loud and a much smoother beast. it's also a noisy amp compared to the Hiwatt and you'd have to pay quite a bit more since Marshalls are so much more sought after. my models where from 1978 ( Hiwatt , Hylight era ) and 1970 ( Marshall metal front model, almost identical schematic as the plexi models ) . if i read your comments correctly you'd be better off with the Hiwatt and maybe a good pedal ( they love pedals ! ) . hope this helps ! :RoCkIn

10. Don L

Don L Member

Get a 50 watt marshall.

11. Roe

Roe Member

for AC/DC: superbass! or jtm50 or 50w bass head

12. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I suggest a two channel amp. :rotflmao

13. mcormier

mcormier Guest

nah... i want a touch sensitive amp that when dimed gets the lowest gain sounds ACDC recorded... i for get which album im thinking of... but one of the albums had lower gain sounds.

14. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

There are plenty of touch sensitive amps that don't require being dimed to get that sound. You said you wanted "powertube crunch (ACDC witout all the preamp gain) and a super clean sound just by switching p/up position on my strat", that's not really possible. A two channel amp is your best option.

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Great master volume on Biacrown (or late Hylight) era Hiwatts - really useable/musical at low volumes. Very articulate, great grind and/or excellent cleans. My fave amps...

16. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

A good trainwreck clone will do that just by playing hard or soft on the same pickup. :D

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Interesting... I've never played one of these (or possibly even heard one to my certain knowledge), but I'm curious: I've always heard these described as very compressed amps, so much so that the volume doesn't change significantly when backing off from full gain to clean (or nearly so) with the guitar volume. But your description is that of a very uncompressed amp... :confused:

FWIW, to answer the original question, a Hiwatt will give you cleaner cleans when backed off, precisely because it's less compressed, but it won't sound like AC/DC at all, especially with the pickups you have... totally different tonality and far less distortion overall, think Pete Townshend (biting, ringing crunch) or Dave Gilmour (full, almost hi-fi clean). A lot of that AC/DC type sound is from the natural dirtiness of the Marshall sound, which makes it seem more gainy than it really is - it's not just the same as more clipping-type distortion.

18. ROKY

ROKY Member

Well the AC/DC Rhythm tones are strictly filtertron pickups thru superbass
    and JTM100 amps.

The earlier Hiwatts are, indeed, harder to get to breakup without knocking
    walls down .. but The Biacrown 2-input amps will get AC/DC tones .
    There's more gain in the preamp
    >>>
    Off-topic: The Biacrowns are the closest thing to a Hiwatt CP103 because
    both have extra gain in the circuit. Towsend's use of P-90s and later LP's
    with mini, and full-sized buckers, obviously gave a certain tone.

I could easily see Mal Young playing Biacrown Hiwatts and getting his tone.
    >>>

Anyway, I don't usually respond to a lot of the misconceptions about
    what Hiwatts can/can't do, but I've played these amps for awhile,and
    I know, from experience, with them,and using different guitars thru them.

19. MLG8675

MLG8675 Member

FWIW my '76 Hiwatt Custom 50 doesn't produce an AC/DC type of sound for me. "Live at Leeds" all day long. I have much better luck with my 1987x at a low gain setting to get more of an AC/DC type of crunch. Plus there's plenty of gain to spare if needed.

20. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I don't want to change topic but...I am not sure why you say that is the opposite? It doesn't alter the volume just the gain structure. When the volume knob is set right the Trainwreck is so sensitive to your touch you can go from clean to mean just by touch alone. Certainly adjusting the volume control on the guitar does the same things easier. It is compressed in volume but not in its responsiveness. Does that make sense? They are really cool to play and bit unforgiving.

On topic my 50 watt 68 Marshall bass head does a great crunch ala AC/DC and if I a/b switch to the other low gain input it is much cleaner but a tad dark. While I won't mod mine I wonder if a bypass cap on the low input wouldn't make more sense then on the high input?