1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Marshall SV20H vs Marshall 2061X 20W

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tread, Aug 3, 2019.

1. SGStratitus

SGStratitus Member

I have the 2061 and am interested in the SV (never tried one). Have you tried out the bass channel of the 2061X (plugging straight into it instead of jumpering)? Stays totally clean with humbuckers till 5 and after that you just get a nice cleanish tone, clean enough to still be using delay and reverb. You'd have crank it all the way to get to the point where you'd call it 'overdrive', with single coils it'll stay clean till about 7. Would you say the SV has more headroom than the 2061x's bass channel?

abnerfm likes this.
  2. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

I do use that trick on my 2061, I couldnt say about how the headroom compares on the sv20, I haven't had them side by side. My gut says the sv20 wont have more headroom, probably much the same.

Tread, abnerfm and SGStratitus like this.
  3. mallcorn

mallcorn Supporting Member

Big Mike - you don't have to jump right to the point but I couldn't of said it better especially in fewer words...

Tread - They are both cool little amps but the SV20 has THAT sound (1959HW) that the 2061x doesn't nail. Other than the 2061x being a hand-wired build for me it doesn't win in any other category unless you are not looking for that era plexi sound. I tried a handful of various overdrive type pedals but the SV20 just doesn't need any and it is a plus that it offers a loop, line-out, etc. I thought the 5 watt mode is excellent for "bedroom level" volume and both (5 and 20) modes sound killer. I am talking channels jumped, plugged into Channel1-HI. Volumes all over the place - both at 2, both at 10, whatever. Same for EQ although I think the Bass at 0 especially when the volumes are up sounded best. I was playing thru either a StoneAge 2x12C closed back or Bogner 1x12 cube, both with Alnico 90watt Creams. I guess I need to take the back off of the 2x12 to get a feel for that open-back sound as well. In this amp, I would only suggest getting the head version (cab version has a 10").

DeadLazy and Tread like this.
  4. big mike

big mike Gold Supporting Member

Just depends on your needs
    I wanted more gain so I built some 50 watt JMP’s with master volumes.
    Fun, good learning, and I’m super thrilled

Tread likes this.
  5. Bush

Bush Member

I own and gig both the SV-20H and the 2061x. I play classic hard rock, old school country and some newer hard rock and everything in between. It’s my opinion that the SV has a bit more gain but the 2061x has these organic sweet musical sounding mids that cut through the mix in a way that my SV doesn’t. I play these heads through the matching 2061cx cab. 2061x is not a one trick amp. It cleans up nicely with the guitar volume knob and sounds great. The SV also cleans up nicely. I love both these amps and will keep both. I also own the 1959HW.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Grenville, DeadLazy, Rossi163 and 2 others like this.
  6. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

Imo the strength of the 2061
    Is ironically more of a killer pedal platform,
    Set it just over half, it starts to get really fat sounding there, Great cleans with a bit of hair.Then throw a boost of the kind to get it in the gainier zone,
    If you need a bit more bass
    Just raise the volumn on the other channel, you don’t even need to jumper it. You can if you like,
    Owned one for 40 years, my first amp.
    You can run a Bigger Jmp the same way, but I like them for more Gained up sounds ,
    I would not buy a new Marshall.

Bt

abnerfm and Tread like this.
  7. macmeda

macmeda Silver Supporting Member

This article has an interesting approach to the jumpering the SV20. It helped me think outside the usual.
    I find the tones I couldn’t find in my 2061X.
    With the stock speakers in the 2061CX I found the 2061X incredibly loud.
    I just realized the SV 20 is the first amp I’ve ever had that wasn’t hand wired. So it must not make that much difference in this case.
    https://guitar.com/review/amplifier/marshall-studio-series-sv20h-sc20c/

DeadLazy and Tread like this.
  8. ken374

ken374 Member

after months with the SV im kinda liking the normal at 6+ and the bright at 4 or a tad more. before i was running both at 6 or so

Tread likes this.
  9. el greco

el greco Member

The 2061X matched with the right cab is a beautiful glorious sound. I love this amp. A SD pickup booster and a generous amount of volume on the amp and you're good to go everywhere and anywhere your guitar volume and tone controls will take you.

I've never played a SV20H though.

Oban14, Rossi163, Bush and 1 other person like this.
  10. mallcorn

I guess this means I need to get a 2061x to keep up... :)

Tread and Bush like this.
  11. effectsman

effectsman Member

I played both in a shop recently, but unfortunately through different cabs as the SV20 was the combo with the 10” speaker, so that is going to have a big influence on what I heard. To me the SV20 sounded a bit fuller and “bigger” through the range of the guitar. It’s got that bite and kerrang of the bigger brother Marshall’s that many of the boutique makers seem to neuter. It is loud, even in 5W mode. The EQ allows you to tailor the sound, but bear in mind it is a plexi so the range of the EQ while useful is not super wide.

The 2061x sounded a little more “scooped” somehow compared to the SV20, but that could have been the speaker difference. It has I think has a little bit of chime from those EL84s. It’s a really great amp throughout the range but needs to be near the end of its gain range to begin to break up, at least with the Strat I was using to demo it. I agree with others who say this amp makes a great pedal platform as sounded a little bit sweeter to my ears than the SV20.

The SV20 would be more game able with the 5W setting, but to get either one to do their Marshall thing, both will be loud. I think the SV20 does a more authentic version of its 50 & 100W brethren. The 2061x is close but slightly it’s own thing.

12. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

True this but not apples to apples , the reissues dont come close to the vintage ones , I have owned both ... my vintage 2061 Was in it’s sweet zone at 6 , which was too loud for anywhere ... a good attenuator fixed that beautifully .... the sv20 is even louder , hard to imagine

13. effectsman

effectsman Member

@tonedrip I’m curious as to what the difference in tone or feel was between the vintage and reissue 2061?

14. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

Being nit picky , but my observations were
    the reissues which I had 2 of, were more stiff in feel and bass heavy which I could not seem to dial out , and a little toppy ... my vintage was warmer (darker)with more give , and an even eq , ie less bass which emphasized lovely mids , and the highs less sharp .... that being said the 2061x is definitely one of the best Marshall recreations to date ..

15. mallcorn

Just bought one today. I will be picking it up tomorrow.

Tread likes this.
  16. Emiel

Emiel Member

We must realise the 2061 isn't a Plexi but a different design with its own strengths and weaknesses. Like Bigtone said, the 2061 is actually a killer pedal platform with plenty of headroom if you use the bass channel. On the reissue, there is a large tone cap on the bright channel which makes it overdrive almost instantly. More about that below.

Interesting comments! Being an 2061x owner and curious of the differences compared to the vintage ones, I did some research some time ago.

Most notably, the reissue has
    a) more filtering (50+50uf vs 32+32uf), increasing and stiffening the bottom end ánd feel,
    b) a bigger tone cap on the bright channel (4700pf vs 500pf), increasing the mids and gain as you turn up the tone control.

All in all this gives the reissue a bit more 'modern' sound. I had some components in my 2061x changed to the vintage values and the amp nows sounds a little bit looser and less middier/gainy.

Tread and macmeda like this.
  17. Tread

Tread Member

So the SV20 showed up at my house the day before Thanksgiving, so far I really like it alot. It is pretty much the same volume as the 2061X which I still love. Using both in an A/B config right now.

wntbtw likes this.
  18. mallcorn

Is "a little bit looser and less middier/gainy" a good thing or a bad thing?

19. Emiel

Emiel Member

It’s a personal thing obviously.

I like it better, as I don’t crank the amp and the stock bright channel on the reissue can be very mid focused on lower volumes.

I can imagine that when you crank it, you might benefit from the extra gain and tightness of the reissue.

20. mallcorn

Just picked up a 2013 2061x I bought a couple of days ago. Played it against a SV20 in the store (both amps same cab and LP guitar) to see how they compare. Initial thoughts were if I could only have one it would hands down be the SV20 which I already own. SV20 was a little louder and brighter. The 2061x broke up more than I expected. I brought the 2061x home so I can get to know the amp and see how it can perform with my gear. Hopefully, in a few days or weeks, I will know the amp better and can provide my thoughts and more importantly make a decision on keep or return given the amps I already own (1959HW, Metroplex, SV20) because this does influence ones decision. I am not looking for another SV20 so I won't be evaluating it against the SV20 to see which one is better but will be looking into why would I want to keep it and what can the 2061x do that the SV20 can't given that they are both in the 20watt class.

A friend on mine suggested trying the 2061x with the channels jumped and using a volume pedal between the jumped channels. Plug into channel 2 and use the volume pedal to add the gain from channel 1 to taste. I mention this because there is probably a lot about this amp I don't know and it will take some time to feel it out properly or get use to like no standby switch, no EQ just tone knob that effects gain, and the bleed over effect one channel has to the other without being jumped.

wntbtw likes this.