Marshall that sounds like a Cornish G2???

JeffreyC

Ok, so I've had the Cornish G2 for a long time. It's probably my favorite dirt pedal for a Marshally amp-like sound. Lately, I've been just loving it into my Clark 5e3 and Tungsten Buckwheat. However, I've been wondering about Marshall amps for a while and thought it would be great if I could find one that gives up a similar drive sound. I'm thinking it would be mostly plexi style amps. I prefer 30 watts or less, but open to others with master volumes.

Anyone out there have experience with the G2 and a bunch of Marshalls?

EDIT - so bumping this to include any of you guys that have found any amp's OD that you prefer over the G2 pedal?
What amp did you switch to?

Last edited:

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know what a G2 sounds like so I'm no help there. But my main amp has been a 5e3 clone for some time and I just bought a DSL40c. The problem with comparing the two is that the smallish 5e3 box makes it sort of boxy sounding compared to the larger cabinets that the Marshall is in. Whether you get a head and use closed back cabs or get a combo, the sound is quite a bit different than the small tweed. Not sure if this gives you useful info or not, but I am finding little common ground between pedals that sounded good with my 5e3 and that sound good with the Marshall. But I'm in the early experimental stages. Frankly the Marshall can go all night without pedals.

4styx

No real experience here, but to me the Vintage Modern sounds the most like that pedal(judging from clips). Funny most people look for a pedal that sounds like a particular amp. The Marshall 1974 would get you there as well as the wattage you're looking for.

So you're looking for an amp that sounds like a pedal...a pedal you already have and presumably don't plan on selling? Now i've heard it all. :p

If you have the sound you want in a pedal, why do you need an amp that does the same thing?

JeffreyC

mapleneck - yeah, i hear ya about the cabinets and boxy
sound of the 5e3. My Tungsten has a bigger sound.
I also have some Hiwatts, 2x12's, and 4x12's.

4styx - Thx for the suggestions.

fiveightandten - yeah, lol - I don't need/expect to nail
the sound of the G2 with an amp, just looking for a similar
Marshall flavor. I've been using dirt pedals with amps
set clean for some time now and I'm finding myself wanting
to experiment with some amps that give up dirt again at
reasonable volumes. "Feel" is also inspiring to me as
I've been reconnecting to that with the tweeds vs
Hiwatts that are stiffer.

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
mapleneck - yeah, i hear ya about the cabinets and boxy
sound of the 5e3. My Tungsten has a bigger sound.
I also have some Hiwatts, 2x12's, and 4x12's.

4styx - Thx for the suggestions.

fiveightandten - yeah, lol - I don't need/expect to nail
the sound of the G2 with an amp, just looking for a similar
Marshall flavor. I've been using dirt pedals with amps
set clean for some time now and I'm finding myself wanting
to experiment with some amps that give up dirt again at
reasonable volumes. "Feel" is also inspiring to me as
I've been reconnecting to that with the tweeds vs
Hiwatts that are stiffer.
:eek: I actually went this route myself... had about 8 or 9 Cornish pedals at one point, sold all of them and bought a Bludotone and a better guitar. As weird as it may sound to many others, I totally get where you are coming from. These days they only pedal I want in front of the amp is something that helps to push the Bludo a little harder once in a while. As good as the Cornish drives are, they are no match for the feel and sound of a really good tube overdrive IMHO. Not poopoo'ing them by any stretch, they are wonderful.

I'm curious to hear what people suggest to you in the Marshall camp.

JeffreyC

Thanks man. Nice clip and playing! That's definitely in the vein of sounds I like. I checked out their website....it sure would be nice to have some true amp demos showing the range of sounds you can get, etc.

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks man. Nice clip and playing! That's definitely in the vein of sounds I like. I checked out their website....it sure would be nice to have some true amp demos showing the range of sounds you can get, etc.
Thank you for kind words.

You can pm or email me I'd be happy to share what I know. Also, Brandon is very approachable if you call him, he will give you full attention.

V-man

As a Marshall fan who took an interest in pedals, all I can say is "good luck". Guys who tend to have experience and useful information about Marshalls are rather dim about pedals, and guys with much to say about pedals are rather dim about Marshalls. All I play are Marshalls and knowing how differently-voiced amps yield different results with a pedal (e.g.,Timmy+Marshall=<3/Timmy+Fender=Meh) I find the internet mind-numbingly frustrating because nobody has any relatable experience for a Marshall guy into pedals.

And with respect to Cornish, I have no such experience, so what knowledge I have of Marshalls is of little help to you. You are probably on your own figuring this one out.

JeffreyC

Good points V-man....I figured this might be the case, but I thought it was worth a shot and a refreshing approach. Also frustrating is that most Marshall guys that demo amps seem to play them only at a high gain setting and I like to hear everything in between. Still listening to a ton of clips and searching, but it's not like I'm unhappy with my G2 and other dirt pedals I have into my amps set clean.

Trending Topics