Marshall tone for Fender Twin Amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cuttooth21, Oct 26, 2005.

1. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 Member

What pedal can get a Fender Twin Amp to sound like a Marshall JCM 800 type? I was thinking about a Cot 50 but with some more gain.

Anything out there?

TIA

2. James Knox

James Knox Member

I am getting decent fat Marshall Crunch out of Fender amps with a Fulltone OCD.

3. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

Give the Tonebone Hot British a try.

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

what about an old marshall shredmaster or a menatone king of the brits? a vintage RAT?

5. exodus

exodus Member

6. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 Member

Thanks for the suggestion, guys! So far, I'm interested in the Hot British, and maybe the V-Stack.

The Shredmaster has been something I've wanted to try for a while but the prices are just ridiculous for a used pedal. I heard it's because Radiohead's guitarist uses one.

I read some other posts about the Hot British and it seems it's downsides are that it doesn't do mild distortion too well, which I'm not concerned with right now. Also, the gigantic size. But it seems that you'd be able to get some modern sounding distortion out of this thing. Is that right?

Keep em' comin!

7. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

HAO Rust Driver. I am amzaed at what this inexpensive pedal sounds like...really impressed,. One knob and a "Tone" switch. Gets "that" sound for me!

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

+1 on RAT

I traded an old Ibanez UE-305 for a Keeley modded Boss chorus (CE-2?) and a Keeley modded vintage Rat. My intention was to sell both pedals, but when I plugged in the RAT I was floored. I play through a "65 Super Reverb and the RAT really gives me some great crunch - an added bonus is the filter knob on the RAT, which tames some of the high end without losing that RAT "edge".

I don't know how the newer versions of the RAT sound, but this vintage RAT with the Keeley mod kicks ass. It sounds even better through a real Marshall (tried it at a rehersal through a JMP 100 watter - OMG!) Bonuses - you can pick one up on eBay relatively cheap (around $150 - give or take) - it has a very small footprint with jacks located on the back/top - negatives - no LED on mine.

One last note - it does work well with SC's (especially p-90's) - but really shines with humbuckers!

9. Nathan

Nathan Member

The Hot Brit is fine for everything including 80's style hard rock/distortion. Very JCM800 in sound. It's true that it's not that great for lower gain. The Menatone King of the Brits was way better at making my Twin sound like a Marshall, but it doesn't go as high in gain as the Hot Brit. For some reason, there's a couple of bad reviews at HC that I couldn't disagree with more. It heavily affects the rating when somebody gives it a 2 or a 5, and I can't for the life of me understand how anyone would not like that pedal! It was awesome: toneful, great range. Maybe it reacts differently depending on the rest of your gear, but for me it was a total winner! One of the best pedals I've ever tried, and if I was after that particular sound, I would have kept it. I don't own a Les Paul anymore, so it was no longer as useful!

10. wopr

wopr Member

Don't forget the Langraff DO. It has three positions, and, in the up position, sounds great.

steve

11. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. Cheap, easy to use, and you get a free 808 type overdrive sound to boot. The Hyde side is even very, very close to a Shredmaster.

12. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Maybe not a Marshall, but if I had a Twin and needed some dirt, I'd likely use the Blackstone OD.

13. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Rumour has it that the Shredmaster circuitry is now housed in the Marshall Jackhammer pedal with some modification. Be that as it may, I have a Jackhammer for JCM800 sounds and upwards in gain (and it has lot of gain). For lower gian Marshall style I use a Tonebone Classic that works well for me.

Cheers,

Mats N

14. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Nah, they're both very, very different circuits. At best they're maybe 40% the same. You can't mod one to the other either.

15. journo

journo Member

OK! Thanks for the info. It still gives me the sound I want though.

Cheers,

Mats N

16. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I had a Twin for years and I can't even list all the pedals that sounded lousy trying to get it to sound "Marshall-like".

The only thing that ever worked for me was the V-Stack.

But it still ain't no Marshall.

17. Lution

Lution Member

Nathan, I'm curious did you own a 5-knob or 6-knob KOB pedal?

thanks

-Lution

18. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

wow go listen to sound samples of a v-stack http://www.v-stack.com/ holy cow that thing smokes even from the sound samples!!!!

19. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Not to digress from the Twin discussion but you becha derek_, the V-Stack smokes.

I run mine through a Bogner Metropolis and it definitely do smoke.

20. Nathan

Nathan Member

6 knobber!