Marshall Town and Country

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dmg34, Jul 28, 2006.

1. dmg34

dmg34 Member

I heard some good things about these amps. I would like to hear what it sounds like. Does anyone have any sound clips of it.

2. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Never heard of the amp, has anyone else>?

3. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I think you're thinking of the Chrysler Town and Country. It's a Minivan. In other words an automobile. You know, a mode of transportation that utilizes the combustion engine, usualy designed to accomodate a typical nuclear family.

4. erksin

erksin Member

I think it's called a Club and Country - the amp Alex Lifeson used on the 'Moving Pictures' album...

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

listen to early SRV circa '81-83 (Fitzgeralds '83 Houston,Tx per say)

it sounds like Twin Reverb on steroids(Marshally)

6. dmg34

dmg34 Member

My Bad I meant to put Marshall Club and Country.

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

8. mrmax

mrmax Member

The Club and Country(4140) isn't known for Hi gain , but for tone. I've had 3 of them. I love them. Loud , clean, with huge lush sounding reverb. I've had the 2-12 versions. They also made a 1-12 and a 4-10 version for guitar(pictured in previous post), & a 4-10 version w/compressor for bass(4145). If you like clean tones ,check one out. I hope that helps.:YinYang

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I've had two of them as well - a very good-sounding and under-rated amp (maybe because hardly anyone even knows of it). It was made from about 1978 to 1982. Like StevieRaveOn said, it was basically Marshall's take on a Fender Twin - which was the most popular non-Marshall amp in the mid 70s, in the UK - but by the time it was ready for the market, punk had happened and suddenly everyone wanted the Marshall MV sound, so it didn't really get many takers... and being brown probably didn't help :).

Although the circuit is quite similar to a Twin, it's much more Marshall voiced and sounds somewhere between the two. It doesn't do high gain, but the overdrive is really sweet - it was also the first production amp to use a post-phase-inverter MV as far as I know. There's also a footswitchable Boost function, which is pretty mild (+6dB, mostly in the mids, a bit like the Blues Junior 'Fat' switch) but just enough to give a bit of extra bite.

The stock speakers aren't great if it's the 2x12" version with the original red-frame McKenzies - they're not terrible, but I replaced both mine with Celestion 65s which really made them come alive - much more chimey and jangly. (I don't think there was ever a 1x12" version BTW - there is the 2150 combo, but it's a totally different thing - but the 4x10" had Celestions as stock.)

Be very careful if you get one with wheels :). One of mine did, and I didn't realise that if the amp was last moved forwards (so the wheels are all pointing backwards), with the weight of the speakers at the front it's unstable. I must have very gently tugged on the guitar cord (I didn't even feel it come tight), and the whole amp toppled over onto its front. Luckily I had a right-angle plug at the amp end, so it didn't even break that, but I did need a change of underwear since in those days I used to turn the reverb up to about 7, and you can probably imagine the noise it made right behind me :D. Everyone else in the room just about died laughing. I'm sure it took several years off my life...

10. mrmax

mrmax Member

Yes there was a 1-12 version , I almost bought one.A beautiful snow white one. The Bass version was a 4150 , 4-10 was 4145 the 2-12 was 4140. I don't see a model # for the 1-12 in the Marshall book, But there was one at Meyers Music, Royal Oak , Mi. It had a very loud hum, it was gorgeous,I passed on it . It wasn't a 2150.:horse :BEER :BEER :BEER

11. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I had the 2x12 version for a while... I actually REALLY liked the amp. Mine was modded a bunch, not so much for tone, but for channel switching type things.

here are a few old clips I made when I sold it to a different forum member:

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/marshall4140.htm

12. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

You really have to think Twin reverb on this amp. I used one live for 3 or 4 years, and it never failed to deliver great clean tone, and as much power as I could ever ask.[​IMG]