Marshall Vintage Modern - how much gain on tap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RedTiger, Feb 23, 2015.

1. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

These things are pretty cheap on the used market. I can't really tell from clips exactly how much gain they have on tap. Can they get in something like Van Halen or Ratt territory?

2. rock213

rock213 Member

I used to have one and really regret selling it. Great amps all around. I wouldn't say it does the van halen thing or 80's hair exactly. Its more of a modded jtm 45 from my memory, but it def has a good bit of gain on tap. Very responsive to guitar volume, and sounds great cranked. If you can get a good deal on one I'd grab it.

3. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I can get on the very edge of Van Halen/Ratt tones with mine. A clean boost or TS along with it would do it easily. I've had mine for about a year and it's a keeper for sure. Great, highly underrated amps. Everyone will tell you that they don't sound very good at lower volumes, but I call BS on that....while they do sound better at half volume or better, they still sound great at lower volumes. My son says that it has both Angus and Malcolm in it......

4. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I've got the combo. With my HSS Strat that has a DiMarzio 36th in the bridge I can get that kind of dirt on the HDR mode with the preamp knobs below the halfway mark.

5. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

I have the 50 watt head (2266). I have no problem playing VH tunes on HDR with the detail around 3 o'clock and the body around noon. A clean boost (with my Tim) really helps get the job done if needed.

6. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

Yes. I love my 2266 so much that I'm considering selling my beloved Suhr/CAA PT100.

7. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

I'm really kicking myself over this. A local music store had one on sale, purple tolex and all, for a good while and I never sat down to play it. Something about the fact that it ran KT66s and had "Vintage" in the name just turned me off. I figured it wasn't for me. Then recently I start hearing more about it, find out Slash liked them. Slash's gear choices and tone are more my speed than what I would stereotypically think of from someone playing a JTM45. I actually start listening to clips and like what I hear, but can't ever get a feeling for how much gain is on tap.

Now I'm stuck here after Marshall discontinued them without a way to demo one! :FM There's a 2266 on eBay for $800. I'm so tempted to pull the trigger. I should be able to flip it again if I don't like it...right? RIGHT? :(

8. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Here's what I mean:

*yawn*

versus

:dude

That last clip is pretty much the best I've heard. But that's pretty much the way it is. For every clip like the second one we have several more like the first. :dunno

9. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

10. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

That's fantastic.

11. rock213

rock213 Member

It really is a great amp. If one comes up near me for a decent price I'm scooping it. I was really surprised when i heard marshall d/c'd it

12. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

That one is pretty good, aside from the amp, it's almost uncanny how close he sounds to the record until he plays the solo.

Regarding the amp -- it looks like he dimes it, but all I could see was that the detail looked like it was half way up. Couldn't make out the body.

13. Kelly

Kelly Member

Worst Marshall I ever played. I wanted to like it but couldn't. Try before you buy.

14. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

My 2466 is one of the best Marshalls I've ever played -- for clean, crunch and full-on dirt. :)

It has plenty of gain; more gain, for example, than a stock JCM800. And the master volume works really well on these amps.

Seriously, they're wonderful amps. I run mine through a PPC412 (it loves V30s) and I replaced the tubes with Gold Lion KT66s. Tone heaven!

TubeStack likes this.
  15. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I really liked my 2466 head. Really nice amp. The only bummer was that I had a '75 Superbass at the time and the cleans were absolutely no contest.
    I should have kept the VM given what I sold it for, and I would have added a real choke to the amp to get it even closer to real vintage.

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Find a 2466 instead. World of difference. They can be had for WELL under 1K and in killer shape for that price.

17. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I concur...the cleans weren't the greatest but when I cranked that amp, it was very musical. I bought it after seeing Trower running one on stage and his tone was unbelievable...of course he was running it way up.

Jimi1983 likes this.
  18. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

DSL's sound better and are about the same price used

19. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I have tried a few and it seems the QC is the issue. I played one that was pretty darn good and others that sounded ratty. That's been my experience with any Marshall built after the Silver Jubilee which is my all time fav. Never heard a bad Jubilee, but the 900 series and later are hit and miss. Buy a Bogner, Soldano, Metro or any of the others and never look back if you have the money. That's what I do. If I come across one of the good Marshalls cheap I might pick one up for the novelty but there are many amps out there that just sound better and have more gigging functionality

20. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

If a DSL sounds better that is not saying much.