Marshall Vintage Modern owners; 100 vs 50 watt vs Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trower, Jan 22, 2012.

1. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking into scoring one of these and since can't seem to find one of these locally to try let alone do a side/side comparison; If you've owned both, beside headroom I would assume, is there any real tonality differences between the heads? Combo owners feel free to chime in too. Thanks.

2. LPVM

LPVM Member

The headroom thing I completely understand but 100 owners claim they just sound fuller. I've got a 2266 head with a 425A cab and I've got to say it sounds fantastic. I looked for the 50 when I bought mine because I've always had 100 watters and felt I just never really needed 100 watts. In fact I was always attenuating them. The side benefit is a retube costs half as much.

My 50 doing what it does best, straight in with no pedals.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  3. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

The 2466 has more clean headroom. The 2266 combo sounds thin compared to the heads. I've owned them.

4. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Yeah there is a 100 Watt Vintage Modern with Purple Tolex at McKenzie River Music.

5. trower

Nice LPVM, these have crunch galore. From the clips Iv'e heard these can get a nice bluesy tone too no? Those combo's look very heavy so probibly won't go that way but maybe if i could close up the back, it would gain somemore thump? Hope to find one, gonna hope to trade some gear for one.

6. LPVM

LPVM Member

Combos with dual 12s usually are quite heavy. A 2266 head works real well with an Avatar 2x12 cab loaded with (1) 12H30 and (1) Greenback if 2x12 is your prefered configuration.

7. trower

So now I'm hearing from some that these are stiff, bright amps, Voodoo does some Mods to tames these...are they?

8. LPVM

LPVM Member

I don't find mine to be stiff sounding at all. KT66 tubes are anything but stiff sounding. Bright, yeah if you have them adjusted wrong. Speakers make a huge difference, Greenbacks are best with these. The 425A cabs sound amazing. If you get a chance to try one out start with all tone controls at noon and adjust from there. Always keep the Detail control about 2 - 3 clicks higher than the Body control. This is the single most important thing to remember with these amps and the secret to getting good tone out of them. More and the amp will sound bright and thin, less and it can sound muddy. I like my Detail around 3 O'clock and my Body at noon. Think of them like the volume controls on a jumpered 4-holer....that's the idea. These amps really shine with the Master volume at 5 or above. They sound amazing when you get them breathing a little. You need to use the controls on your guitar with this amp. It's not an all controls on 10 amp at all. They seem to prefer medium output passive pickups. Active pickups don't sound good through these amps and high output pickups can sound bright. It's very dynamic and more responsive to the guitar's controls than any other amp I've ever owned. Here's a short clip with a RG520QSB. I start with the neck pup in a split coil setting with the guitar's volume low then click over to the bridge and roll the volume up. The amp has a lot of range with the controls on the guitar and is surprisingly versatile for a single channel amp. Don't try to use the High Dynamic & Low Dynamic switch for a lead boost like a two channel amp. It doesn't work because the High Dynamic setting adds a 12AX7 to the signal path which produces a HUGE volume boost (and a ton of gain). The best method to get a lead boost with these (especially with a 2266 which will have less head room) is to use an attenuator with a foot switchable bypass and attenuate slightly for rhythm and stomp on the bypass for leads. They work perfectly that way.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  9. trower

Again, the detail is amazing in this clip you added. The picking is so articulate, Very nice chime and I'm hearing some thump too. I have heard these are not to be considered a channel switcher but the extra tube would eplain that havoc with volume. So what's your take on the clean channel? Is this a one trick pony

10. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

I owned a 2466 head + 2 X 12 Avatar cab and a 2266 combo at the same time. In my opinion, all tube amps need to be biased to achieve the best tone for each individual, but in particular th VM's. I was somewhat concerned when I first got the 2266 (purchased the 2466 a little later). it just didn't sound as good as I'd hoped. I had it rebiased and it was like another amp.

The 2266 just sounded warmer to me at every volume. Thee 2466 sounded bigger and definitely had more headroom. These were bright amps, but it was manageable, again when properly biased.

These are very good amps, but imo, you are best served with a volume pedal. There is a substantial volume difference between the clean mode and the gain modes.

Dannyz likes this.
  11. trower

Anyone in San Jose have one I can demo?

12. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Love my VM 2466. I use it w/ a 1960BX cab, which sounds amazing with this amp. Also have a line on a VM 425A cab that I might be picking up.

Anyway, having owned both the 2266 and 2466, I'd recommend the 2466. Bigger sounding, more full feeling, as others have said, as well as louder. Way more punch, chunk, and definition. If you play in a band with a heavy drummer or big bass amp, or in a large space, you may run out of volume with the 2266. There are a few members over at the VM forum who've found this to be the case. However, you may prefer the more compressed/full-tilt tone of the 2266 - best to try both, if you can. With my 2466 I've always been able to get the master volume at 5 or more at gigs, usually in the 6 range. At rehearsal it's at 6.5 to 7. We're a loud blues rock trio.

Keep in mind, the 2266 and 2466 are really like 35W and 80W amps, they don't exceed the 50/100W rating like other Marshalls.

Terrific amps! Robin Trower loves 'em. :)

13. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

This an excellent post and really sums up a lot of the VM's characteristics. Great info and very true. :beer

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all the info... Been wanting a 50 watter for a while now