Marshall Vintage Modern thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bonchie123, Mar 8, 2008.

1. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

I'm selling my Jubilee and cab because its just too much of a hassle to carry around and I'm tired of the fizzyness you get with them unless they are cranked (in other words it never goes away b/c I never turn it up that loud). I'm thinking of getting a combo thats a little more versitle but still has that brit flavor and sounds a little better at lower volumes. I've heard the VM is great and then heard its not. Anyone actually own one who wants to give opinions and sound clips if you have them?

They go used for around 1000 dollars and thats what I'm looking to spend.

2. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

The VMs sound much better at loud volumes to me. I don't think that amp will do what you want.

The JVM on the other hand sounds better at low volumes. But it has a million features and isn't exactly cheap.

3. bonchie123

The JVM is just too much amp for me. To many buttons and too much that can go wrong with the 10000 tubes in it. Plus like you said its expensive.

Bear in mind I turn my amp up to about 50% when I play live so I'm not expecting killer bedroom tones at 5 decibels. I had just heard the VM is a little more low volume friendly then the Jubilee, which is notoriously fizzy unless you crank the crap out of it.

4. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

I love the VM. It all depends on what music your playing. Slash, Paul Gilbert, and the guy from whitesnake bring them on tour.

This would be my next marshall for SURE.

5. cmacalpine

cmacalpine Member

It is my Marshall!. It is amazingt, I also don't have a problem with it a low volumes. I mean, I am playing a Marshall stack at bedroom levels right!

At any rate, this is the Marshall that I kept hoping that they would build, thank goodness that they actually delivered. It's all about your hands, imagination and ears as to what you can get out of it and i mean no disrespect or anything with that statement. It is just that kind of amp, simplicity refined to let you do what you do. Sorry, but right now, i have no clips, there are some on Youtube that I have seen.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I played the A/B'd the VM with the Super-sonic and was more impressed with the SS overdrive tones than the VM. Same cabs (Marshall 1960 v30 loaded) and at soft and loud volumes. That kind of surprized me. Who knows maybe I didnt tweak the VM right but the SS just sounded fatter all around. I bought the SS but I couldnt walk away from it at a clearance price of 599$ Bob

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

They can sound decent but you really have to crank them.

Even then I feel they are still kinda harsh.

8. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was harsh as well. Good, but I don't think it is worth the asking price.

9. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I did not care for it at all. I do not get what the hype is about with the JVM, or the VM. There are better Marshalls / clones of Marshalls to be had.

10. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Ive brought 3 different vm heads home to try out and put through the paces. ..I honestly think it is the worst tube marshall head ever made (that i have played) . very flubby and undefined, and severely underpowered (no headroom) for 50-100 watt heads. The cabs that go with them are very nice though.

11. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Wow, I'm surprised to hear the negative comments. I tried a 50w combo briefly and I was very impressed. To be fair, I didn't do a thorough test of it, but I was smiling.
    Anyone else have comments about this amp?

12. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Agreed but admit I have never tried the VM.

13. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I don't own one, but every time I've played one at GC the tone of them blows me away.

14. bonchie123

I bought a Tremoverb head instead. Thanks for the thoughts though.

15. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I like the touch response of the VM and the clean tones but couldnt bond with the dirt tones. IMO definately better than the JVM in the tone department. There was a blanket effect with the VM that turned me off, But the VM is the best of the new Marshall line in the tone department. Definately gotta crank it.

16. Kelly

Kelly Member

Same way I felt. Worst Marshall I think I've ever played. The JVM was pretty nice, though. If you want something similar to the VM, feature wise, try the VHT Deliverance.

17. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I played the VM various times, it's quite possibly the worst sounding amp i've ever encountered in my life.

18. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

If I were to buy a new Marshall, the VM would definitely be the one. I think Marshall is back on the right track with these. But still, it needs to be cranked so it may not be the amp for you.

19. cyndicate

cyndicate Member

I have one and I think it sounds really awesome. Sounds way better played through a 4x12 with Greenbacks. If you know the basic workings of the amp and its tone controls you can shape it the way you want it for a bunch of tones.

If you think it sounds flubby you need to spend more time with it and learn how to dial in the amp.. there are two preamp knobs detail and body that will completely screw up your tone if you don't know what each one is doing. Too much Body causes the flub people keep talking about.

It has to be dialed in with your ears and not your eyes. Body is the main culprit behind the flubbiness, if you have detail and body both set high you are going to get flub, depends what tone you are going after, a clean hendrix type tone (increase body drop detail), or a all out raw marshall balls to the wall 80's metal (increase detail, lower body). It also sounds really nice at decent volumes too if you have it dialed in right and hit it with a clean boost up front. I am no amp guru but based on my experience owning one it has been able to get all the tones I need out of it.

I am selling it now though because I have a Mako Mak2 and a Elmwood M90 on the way :dude so I can't afford to keep the VM anymore.

20. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    you may regret selling the jubilee - have you considered using an attenuator so you can turn the amp up?