Marshall Vintage Modern

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jim friar, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jim friar

jim friar Member

anyone using one of the Vintage Modern amps by Marshall ? What do you think ? I have been eying up a Blackstar lately , just sorta kicking tires. Yesterday my local dealer had a Vintage Modern out on the floor and I'm going to check it out also. Does anyone have experiences good or bad ? I like thick and gainy type tone . Thanks

2. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

It's a different Marshall for sure. Had one for a while. For a band or live use, with a pedal to push it I think it would be fine. For home...not so much.

3. omfg51

omfg51 Member

They are meant to capture the tones of those old marshalls like the jtm45 and jmp plexi but with a modern look and feel. They hit the nail on the head because they do just that. Expensive, but great for the value. Quality marshall equipment.

TubeStack likes this.
  4. LPVM

LPVM Member

If you get a chance to try it start with all tone controls at 5 and adjust to taste. keep the "Detail" control 2-3 clicks over the "Body" control. Too much Detail and the amp with sound bright and fizzy, too much Body and it can get muddy. Think of these controls as if they are the high and low volume controls on a jumpered 4-holer...that's the idea behind them. The Mid boost switch works best with single pole equiped guitars. The amp favors meduim output passive pickups. It hates active pickups. It's an amazingly dynamic amp and is very sensitive to your guitar's controls. It's in no way an all controls on 10 amp, you really get to play it like an extension of your guitar. It's a single channel amp. HDR adds another 12AX7 tube which adds a lot of gain for heavier tone. For some reason they chose to make that feature foot switchable so some people try to use it as a lead boost and complain about the amp when they find it doesn't work that way. It adds a HUGE volume boost, far too much to be useful for a lead boost. The best way to get lead boost with these amps in HDR is to use an attenuator with a foot switchable bypass and cut volume a little for your rhythm and stomp the bypass for leads. That works perfectly for the guys that just have to stomp on a pedal to solo. The design is old school, use your guitar's controls and play that sucker! So the rhythm cut is a nice work around. The amp comes alive with the MV at 5 and above. This is where this amp truely shines. The clean tones are very nice in LDR, especially with a single coil equiped guitar thanks to it's KT66 power section. It smokes in HDR. Here is a short clip of mine straight in with no pedals in HDR.

It also cleans up nice in HDR. Here it is with the same settings only I have my guitar set in the split coil neck position with the volume rolled down to start. Then I switch to the bridge and roll the volume up. Again, no pedals.

5. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Iv'e been considering these too, Trower is currently using these and his tone is very sweet. They have that 'Big Voice" tone according to the man but heck if I can find one to try!

6. IceTre

IceTre Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I bought a 2007 2266 head (50w) on ebay 2 months ago. I've played it through my Marshall 1960B 4x12 with Vintage 30's, and my Avatar 2x12 with one V30 and one G12H30. I also have a 1989 Marshall JCM800 2204 50W head. Here's my observations.

Although both are called 50w, the VM2266 is not nearly as loud as the 80's JCM800. I learned that's because, in the 1980's, Marshall rated the output as 50W before clipping, whereas now they rate it as max output. So you can play the VM with distortion at a much lower volume, which to me is a good thing.

The VM has two preamp gain knobs--Detail and Body. Detail is gain for highs and high-mids, Body is gain for Lows and low-mids. It takes some time to figure out. I found it's best to set the Detail about 50% higher than the body, or the tone is dull.

The VM can get more gain in the High Dynamic Range mode than the 800, as there is an extra gain stage in the preamp.

The VM is not near as bright as the JCM800. I found that I have to cut the bass and boost the treble and presence a lot.

But the main drawback of the VM, for me anyway, is that it is not as responsive as the JCM800 (or my Vox AC15 or Fender Bassman). When you play a note on the 800, it's THERE. The response is immediate. With the VM, there's a delay. And the sound of the VM is more compressed. With the 800, I can roll back the volume knob and it cleans up, not so much with the VM. That's been my experience with my VM anyway. Others don't seem to have those complaints with theirs, as you can see from other response in this thread.

The output tubes on the VM are KT66, which were used in the 60's Marshall's. They have a different sound than the EL34's that Marshall is known for. I tried Shugang, Gold Lion and Penta. Marshall uses and recommends Shugang, but I found the Penta's were the brightest and most responsive (Pentas are made in the Shugang factory but to different specs). I will say that KT66's are the coolest looking tubes I've ever seen. Big, curvy and sexy. :)

Hope this helps.

7. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I played the combo the other day and thought it was one of the worst sounding amps for moderate to high gain ever: very buzzy and harsh.

Vintage yes--Modern no.

8. rippingrudy

rippingrudy Member

I use it in HDR with the detail at 12 o'clock and the body at 10. That's the ticket.

9. LPVM

LPVM Member

Exactly, no matter where you run those controls the Detail should always be about 2 clicks higher than the Body. That's the key to good tone on these amps, that and running the MV at 5 or above.

10. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I thought Trower was using Cornell amps.

11. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

The 2266 is a bit thin sounding. The 2466 is the cat's meow. 100 degrees better than the 2266. I've had both.

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey! There has been one on our local CL for a number of months now! Something like $800..

13. IceTre

I've heard that from a couple other people in the Marshall forum too. Wish I had known that before I bought it. I just assumed 100W would be way to loud.

14. Tread

Tread Member

I agree with this post ....have 100w version 2466 and compared to my 72 50w ...its not near as bright but still very KooL ! ... its growing on me ...also agree with the earlier post on it needing a boost for treble response touch sensitivity.

15. IceTre

Update: speakers for the VM make a big difference! I'd been playing my 2266 through an Avatar 2x12 with one Vintage 30 and one G12H30. Today I received two Greenbacks and installed them, and wow, what a difference! I like the amp a lot more now. So if you buy one, my new advice is to make sure you pair it with a cab with Greenbacks. Marshall made a special cab for the VM called the 425--with 4 Greenbacks. Now I know why.

16. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

This has been killing me for a year or four, if you mean that something is, "more than" or "beyond" or "excessive" it is spelled "too" and not "to". F'ing Christ. I have no problem if English is not your first language but the number of F'ing retarded, white-trash, North American, morons writing that something is "to" expensive or "to" problematic or "to" unreliable (especially because it is made in China) has pushed me over the edge. Please use the CMS (Chicago Manual of Style) as well as spell check on your next post.

ChampReverb likes this.
  17. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

On a far less abrasive and angry note, the greenbacks are almost a necessity with the Vintage Modern. I have the combo with the Hendrix greenbacks and a 2 x 12 with a v30 and another celestion (? brain fart) and there is truly no comparison. The V30 is interesting but the greenback is sublime

18. LPVM

LPVM Member

:agree

19. North

North Member

My observations having had both the 2266, 2266C and 2466:

1. Its a players amp, you need to know what you are doing both on the guitar and with the controls.
    2. You need to really understand the idea behind it in particular the HDR/LDR and Detail vs. Body. Do not dime the tone controls as with some other Marshalls.
    3. It is made for Greenbacks, love it with them. Not much to like about it with V30s.
    4. Make sure you test it with broken in speakers. First time I tried it in a store it sounded awful. Next time I tried it with broken in speakers it was glorious.
    5. Try it in LDR with a good distortion pedal.
    IMHO.

20. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

I agree. Greenbacks sound good with the VM. That is what came in my 2466 combo. I don't care for V30's in anything. Just not my cup of tea.

I once owned a 2266 combo and a 2466 head at the same time. All tube amps need to be biased properly, but it seems that the VM's require it more than any amp I've owned. IMO, they do not sound good at all if they are biased cold. Tweek them properly and the difference is significant. Once I did this, my 2266 actually had a warmer tone than the 2466. Tha 2466 was more chimey and obviously had more clean headroom. There was also more volume, but not a great deal more.

They are good amps imo, but I didn't like the significant volume difference between the clean and gain stages. You either need to use a volume pedal or clean boost if you plan to use them like a 2 channel amp.