Marshall Vintage Modern

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jim friar, Jan 28, 2012.

1. inca_roads

inca_roads Member

According to the designer these are not designed to be a 2-channel amp, hence some of the bad reviews from some who think it should be.

Uli, please check your punctuation (missing periods & extra commas). :mmm:p
    Do you have something against North America? I do appreciate the sentiment though.

Mike McDonald likes this.
  2. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

You are correct that it wasn't sesigned as a 2 channel amp, but because of the added gain stages, it is difficult not to want to use it as such. But, as I said, it can't be used this way without controlling the volume some way. There is just too much of a volume increase/decrease when going from clean to gain or vice versa.

3. LPVM

LPVM Member

If you need to stomp on a switch for lead boost get an attenuator with a footswitchable bypass and attenuate slightly for rhythm and stomp the bypass for lead boost. It's the perfect solution with a VM when you run mostly in HDR and run out of headroom for a lead boost. It's been discussed to death on the VM Forum and has been agreed by all that is the best solution and the way most players are getting the job done. I picked up a 50W MiniMass to use with my small amps and got it with the bypass option so I could use it that way with my 2266. $140 later, problem solved with incredible tone intact.

4. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

That is a great solution for people that use the VM. I no longer own one (Germino is my main amp), but they are very good amps imo. As I stated earlier, I feel the VM's need to be biased to the preference of the individual using them. Improper biasing seems to have a greater affect with the VM's. At least this has been my experience.

5. inca_roads

inca_roads Member

Agreed on the biasing; those KT66 need to run hot.

The VM is the most sensitive amp I own with respect to guitar volume knob changes. This is how I go from clean to mean.

6. IceTre

IceTre Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I didn't mean to diss the Vintage 30's. I have 4 V30's in my 4x12 and they sound great with my JCM800 2204. I'm learning that different amps work best with different speakers. This was a great experiment! I might try putting the G12H30 back in and trying it with that and one Greenback, because the G12H30's sound was great; basically indistinguishable from the Greenback. I think it might be because the V30's are 60W speakers, whereas the G12H30 is 30W and the Greenback is 25W, so the G12H30 and Greenback get pushed hard, and I get some speaker distortion, whereas the V30 at 60W isn't being pushed hard by the VM. Just a theory, of course.

As for the tube biasing, it's easier on the VM than the JCM800; you don't need a fixture between the tubes and the socket; there's a trim pot on the PCB. Another selling point for the VM. I found that Penta KT66's sound best (compared to Shugang and Gold Lion).

As for the difference in volume between the LDR and HDR, you shouldn't try to use the amp as a 2-channel amp. Use your guitar volume knob. Set it mid for rhythm, and turn it up for solos.

7. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

The speakers in the VM really need to be broken in (played very loud for a substantial amount of time) before you really hear what the amp sounds like. I hated the higher gain sounds on my MV combo (buzzy and harsh like you wrote) until it was really broke in. I had it for a year or so and only played pedals through it before I went back and experimented with the higher gain side again. It is truly awesome now and anything but buzzy. The VM is really one of the best sounding production amps made.

8. LPVM

LPVM Member

I've heard from a lot of people that is also a fantastic combination with the VM. The G12H30 is a 30W greenback and has a little later break up and a little more bottom which gives you a slightly smoother tone. That combination is great for blues rock.

9. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Member

Wow, these sound sweet!

10. van5073

van5073 Member

Im really liking my 2266. One of the most responsive amps Ive ever played. If there is one drawback , it would be the effects loop. In my experience , it cuts the volume and dynamics drastically . Have any of you experienced this?

11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Anyone have experience with the loop?

12. Tread

Tread Member

Good info here !

13. roblovesolives

roblovesolives Member

Are they solid state or valve rectified? If the former can they be modded to valve rectifier to give a bit more of a jtm45 sag? Would make sense with the kt66 tubes.

Ta,

Rob

14. Classic09

Classic09 Member

The VM series all have solid state rectifiers.

15. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have one. Nice nice amp. The loop is good, I had no issues with it. But, I run everything in front of a clean amp these days. One of the key mods for this amp is to add a choke. Evidently, the pt and ot are parts where the designer would not budge on changing, as this was a flagship amp at the time.

Nice amp.

16. roblovesolives

roblovesolives Member

Would changing it to valve rectification make it a bit more jtm45-ish?

17. goodguy2k2k

goodguy2k2k Member

My 2466 VM paired with 425a cab is the best sounding amp I have heard or owned. Yes, it requires some knob tweaking that may be more difficult live but this amp has endless variety of tone with the detail and body knobs. Can dial in an amazing fat tone or great cleans. This is not meant to be a super high-Gain monster but can do anything from clean to van halenish gain. An amazing amp which really shines for classic rock or blues styles. Clapton, Hendrix, Zeppelin or even White Stripes (ala Elephant Album m, Ball n Biscuit and Hardest Button to Button etc guitar fat tone ...which I think was a Selmer amp) tones are all there.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  18. DiNiro

DiNiro Member

The black stars sound great by themselves but don't cut it in the band mix IMO. The vintage modern is going to sound a little more harsh and biting than the blackstar by itself, but when you add bass and drums it'll be right where it should be. And they're a great bargain. I don't think its the best marshall out there, but for the price i've seen them used they very well might be. Great info in this thread.

19. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Grainy on the HDL channel.

It is a really cool amp.

It is a JTM on the LDL channel.

Very touch sensitive and responsive.

On HDL :Trick is to set it up with guitar volume on 6....roll off for clean...roll up for leads.

20. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

Agreed. I owned a 2266 and a 425B cab and a 2266C VM.

HDL too grainy OD and great JTM tone in LDL but you still need an OD pedal using LDL.

Mine sounded great using an OCD.