Marshall + Vox = ??

PetCobra

Let me apologize in advance... I'm sure this question has been asked many times before.

Looking back at the amps I've owned over the years, I've tried a fairly wide variety but have often come back to a JCM 800 2204 or 2203. Lately, I've been very happy with an AC30, but I'm starting to miss the thump of an 800.

The easiest thing to do would be to pick up another 2204 (original, Ceriatone, Granger, or other), but I wonder if I could split the difference with one amp. Keep the feel and power of the 800, but retain some of the chime and clarity of the AC30.

My initial thought was to try out a Dr. Z SRZ65 or a Top Hat Emplexador. I was hoping somebody may have had a few other suggestions.
Thanks!

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure how you feel about non master volume amps, but a Komet 60 fits the description.

misa

Silver Supporting Member
May also have to do with speaker cabinets used...did you run the Marshall with a 412 closed-back? Try the Vox into a 412 for more thump.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
Orange has a bit of that going on.

Something I used to use that felt close to this idea was an AC30 head into a closed back cab with greenbacks.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
There're a couple of thoughts that occur to me about this. One of the characteristics of the 2203/2204 is that they have pretty big iron and a stout power supply, so there's a solid attack to support the crunch. Many EL84 amps don't have that solid attack (the AC30 feels a bit squishy to me compared to a 2204). Some of the modern EL84 amps, designed after Matchless started are more along the lines of a hard hitting amp, so for a hybrid feel a Matchless, Dr. Z Maz 38, Komet etc might get you in the ballpark. The rest of the formula would depend on speakers and cab-alnico, open back for the Vox feel and ceramic, closed back 212-412 for the Marshall feel.

myaudiodna

Mox? Varshall? Voxall?

Seriously though, call Ben from Fargen Amps. He has an amp called the Dual British Classic that is a blackface Deluxe on one channel and a switchable plexi/800 on the other. I'm sure he'd be able to replace the blackface channel with an AC30 channel.

Polvo

Silver Supporting Member
May also have to do with speaker cabinets used...did you run the Marshall with a 412 closed-back? Try the Vox into a 412 for more thump.
My vox and 76 SuperLead have very similar tonal characteristics through a 4x12, if I put my Amprx brownie on it and drop the voltage its deep into Marshall territory.

cochese

Guytron GT100 for sure. I have the Top Hat Emplexador which is really very Marshall. I have the TH Vanderbilt and that is a true cross between a Marshall and Vox circuit. Great amp but cathode bias so not quite as percussive.

PetCobra

GREAT suggestions.
The 4x12 with greenbacks is my first step. From there, I'm going to try to get my hands on as many of these as I can. I tend to function a little bit better when my GAS isn't in laser focus, so knowing I have options will keep me occupied for a while.

Thanks, guys!

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Not sure how you feel about non master volume amps, but a Komet 60 fits the description.
As long as he doesn't mind the volume that goes along with a K 60 then there isn't really a better amp out there. From clean to mean it's just amazing. But. To get it into the breakup means you better have a big space to play, or an attenuator. That thing shatters buildings....while sounding epic.

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
As long as he doesn't mind the volume that goes along with a K 60 then there isn't really a better amp out there. From clean to mean it's just amazing. But. To get it into the breakup means you better have a big space to play, or an attenuator. That thing shatters buildings....while sounding epic.
I agree, paired with a Power Station it should get the job done.

Trending Topics