Marshall / Voxy speaker replacement (cheaper)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Still working on my Winfield tube rattle issues from yesterday (playing the combo with only 2 out of 4 EL84s for 18 watts total, still Loud as hell but sounding killer). The original owner installed an EMI Texas Heat which is nice, but I don't think it's a good match for this amp. I think the power rating is WAY high on this, it might actually be too efficient and might even be a major cause of the tube rattle / excessive volume problems?
    I have a modded champ that I can play through a 1x12 so I want to move the Texas Heat into that 1x12 cab (I believe the Texas Heat is much more suited to Fender-esque tones and I'm trying to get as much clean headroom as possible -- remember, it's still a Champ).
    The Winfield is definitely Marshall 18 watt (actually "November" voiced circuit) and has a ton of chime/shimmer. I used to use the head with a Celestion Alnico Blue and it was sweet (but expensive) and it still was a tad harsh in the high mids.
    So, what's a great lower cost (<$75 - 100) 12" 8ohm speaker to drop into this amp and make it shine?
    Thanks!

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

Scumback H75 (65W, HP version for your needs) would be perfect.

3. Gasp100

Wow, the clips sound really nice.
    http://www.southbayampworks.com/speakers.html
    Still a little scooped? and slightly more than I wanted to spend. Any opinions on the Red Coat series from Emi? I figure the Texas Heat from the Patriot Series works really well with my SF Champ, maybe the more British voiced EMI stuff would be cool in the Winnie.

4. Gasp100

GOT ONE!!! I love the emporium, simply awesome. This is the H75 30 watt version. I only play the amp on the 18 watt setting and NEVER open it up. In most cases I'll be attenuating as well so I think it'll be fine.
    :RoCkIn

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

Cool. Let us know how it goes.