Marshall vs. Germino

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by billyjett, Apr 11, 2015.

1. billyjett

billyjett Member

I think I'm really digging the sounds of the Marshall 1962 HW Bluesbreaker combo, but the Germino Classic 45 sounds killer, so now I'm torn! The Germino doesn't have the Tremolo like the Marshall does, but it's not a feature that would be that important to me anyway, but what do you guy's think? Is the Marshall worth the extra dough? Does one take pedals better than the other? Looking to hear from folks who have experience with one or both of these amps.

2. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

I have the Classic 45, and have played the 1962HW Combo

Not sure I'd pay more for the Marshall, it is Imported , so a mark up there.
    Don't think the higher price of the Marshall reflects Higher quality, at all

Not knocking the Marshall, I've pondered the Head version.
    Thought the Marshall was a tad brighter,

More apt to get the Germino, can't imagine better build quality.
    You can now get it with a Master, and if it's cheaper ...

And it comes in Green :dude

[​IMG]

3. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

I would not consider a single offering of Marshall's over a Germino amp, whatever the model may be. This is my opinion, but I don't think the Marshall will get nearly the time, consideration, and attention that seems to be very consistent with Greg's amplifiers. No way the extra price tag is worth it in the case of the Marshall, but YMMV.

4. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

I prefer the Marshall tones...

5. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

Germino is the answer here.

6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Marshall tremolo sucks, IMO. Not a factor.

Whatever you get the best deal on...

But I'd buy the Germino over the Marshall. I've owned the Bluesbreaker combo.

7. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I am not a fan of the Marshall trem either. Otherwise, the amps will certainly sound similar. I have played both extensively, but not side-by-side. Greg's attention to detail and customer service is top-notch. As an owner of two of his amps, I would highly recommend the Germino and, as someone said above, I would never consider a modern Marshall offering over one of his builds.

8. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a Germino in the emporium. Hope I made the right decision. I'll let you know in a week.

9. grb718

grb718 Member

I dont think its that close really.
    Ive owned a few marshalls from 80's and 90's and I currently
    have a classic 45 and a new LV 55 with master volume.
    Props to Marshall for starting it all but unless you have a vintage one its not gonna touch a Germino.
    Germino has;
    Better components
    Better build quality
    Better attention to detail
    Better customer service
    Built by one man who really cares
    Lifetime transferable warranty.
    Did I mention that I can call or email the guy that built my amp
    with concerns or problems and he will answer the phone.
    I can even call him before I buy an amp from him with an explanation of the tone I am seeking and he will make it like I want it.
    Did you ever try to call Marshall?
    Hope that answers your question

Plus Greg is cool and the cat can really play guitar

10. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

Did you buy that Monterey that was for sale?

11. billyjett

billyjett Member

That would be awesome, send me a PM and let me know, or start a thread about it.

12. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with Germino. The amps are built great, but more valuable, the man that makes them is tops in customer service. He answers the phone, backs up his product, and takes care of his customers.

Regarding the OP, I'd go for whatever sounds best. Germinos are fantastic. A good Marshall can't be beat.

13. billyjett

billyjett Member

I've been watching quite a few vid's, the more I watch, the more confused I get!I haven't heard a Germino yet that didn't sound fantastic!I really like the 45, but now I'm thinking Club 40, or Lead 55 would be great as well, I should probably just turn it all off and go with my gut.I do like the idea of getting an amp from a builder who is also a good guitar player!I noticed that the Master volume option is not available on the 45, have you guy's found this to be a worthwhile option? Does the SS rectifier make things tighter and more punchy!

14. batfish

batfish Member

Billyjett - have you listened to these (the ones with Greg playing with his band)? This is what influenced me the most. That is *the* tone (for me). Hearing the amp in context makes a far larger impression on me than the very good, yet standalone playing I've seen from other demos. I hadn't noticed these before because they're sort of buried on his website, but once I heard them, my mind was made up on which Germino I'd take (and I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet, but close).

https://soundcloud.com/germinoamplification/sets/club-40-sound-clips

As to the original topic - I think the Marshall hardwired stuff is overpriced, however, used prices aren't too bad. For example, I have a 2061x that I paid under a grand for, and it's a GREAT amp, imo. I use it all the time.

If buying new, I couldn't see paying the 4 grand or whatever for that HW Bluesbreaker. The Germino (I think) would actually be a lot cheaper and at least comparable quality. The Marshall would probably hold a larger percentage of it's retail value if you had to sell it, so I guess whether or not I was buying and holding vs. buying and playing would be a factor. I also like that Greg is offering the low power transformers now. That makes his NMV stuff more practical for small club players.

15. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I had a classic 45 but never played the Marshall in question. What are the differences in tone and feel?

16. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I think it's clear that the Germino quality is better and Greg is a cool dude....but, what are the tonal differences?

I'm sure the quality of the Matshall is good enough to where it's not an issue.

17. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Germinos are Marshalls , they are dead clones

18. 70s Rocker

70s Rocker Overdriven Member Silver Supporting Member

Germinos take my vote. Had a problem with one, and Greg fixed it no charge!
    Sold all but the Club 40, due to no longer using big heads.
    Doubt it will ever go ...

19. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I would never buy a modern Marshall over a Germino. Not only is the build quality much better on the Germino, the components on the Germino are MUCH better quality than a newer Marshall. This is what really affects tone. Plus, a used Germino can be had for a very reasonable price. In fact, I'd buy a Germino over a vintage Marshall as well. Made just as good, and even better in some cases, and MUCH cheaper.

20. billyjett

billyjett Member

Thank you! I'll definitely check out those other video's, it makes sense, I play live a lot, how amps sound in the mix during a live performance is everything IMO. I saw that option regarding the lower power transformers, it would be great to hear how that would sound vs. the regular transformers.